PDA

View Full Version : OU Hoops.com: Ryan Spangler Player of the Year

ZagNative
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Published yesterday in OUHoops.com (http://ouhoops.com/?p=5993).
If you looked up the word “dominate” in the dictionary, there is a good chance the accompanying picture is one of Ryan Spangler. This is for a good reason as not only did he dominate statistically, he also led his team to a 26-1 mark before losing in the 4A state championship game to the Oklahoma City Douglass Trojans 52-64.

All season long the Gonzaga signee put up eye popping numbers of 29 points, 17 rebounds, 6 blocks, and 5 assists, he also corralled a few triple doubles and impressive quadruple double during the year. But leading up to the championship game, the 6 foot 8 power forward still had critics and detractors who believed he couldn’t put up his staggering stat line of against top notch competition.

In the 4A state title games the critics received their answer to that question. Playing against the vaunted Douglass frontline of 6 foot 7 twins Ramond and Romond Jenkins and 6 foot 9 Marquis Buxton Hill, Spangler not only produced but early on he had the talented Trojans on their heels.

At one point his opponents had no answer for him as he scored twelve straight points as he lead Bridge Creek to an early lead over Douglass. Even though Douglass’ waves of talent proved to be too much, Spangler silenced all his critics with an impressive 28 points and 18 rebounds.
After a State runner up trophy, a Parade All American team honor, and several State Player of the Year honors, the Oklahoma standout will be taking his game west, to Spokane. Spangler committed early in his senior year to the Gonzaga Bulldogs, pouncing on the opportunity to play at a national known program. He then sealed the deal by signing his letter of intent in November.

“I’m going there with the mindset of playing as hard as I can so I can play as early as I can. But my main focus is on getting better.”

Many of the state basketball fans expressed frustration that a talented player such as Spangler would go unnoticed by the two major division one schools, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

Spangler initially shared that frustration, but now is focuses on his future school, Gonzaga. “OSU showed me some interest my sophomore year and I’d figured that I’d get some notice from Oklahoma, since I’m only 20 minutes away, but it never came.”

The Gonzaga Bulldog has no regrets though,” It all turned out for the best.”

Martin Centre Mad Man
04-07-2011, 11:32 AM
This kid excites me more than any prospect we've landed in the last decade. I can't believe that he wasn't getting better interest from the Big 12 schools and that he wasn't rated as a Top 50 recruit by the scouting services. That's okay. He'll prove a lot of BCS schools wrong during his career with the Zags.

MDABE80
04-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Ryan says....“I’m going there with the mindset of playing as hard as I can so I can play as early as I can. But my main focus is on getting better.”

This.

cjm720
04-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Love the lunch pail attitude that Spangler and our other recruits have!

BobZag
04-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Nice find, ZN. Good stuff.

U Zig, I Zag
04-07-2011, 03:16 PM
I love this kid. Rob and him can trade tat stories and Ryan can show Rob, 'now, here is how you slam with one hand...' ;)

Congrats Ryan. Great get for GU.

Not really surprised about the champ game loss, I heard Douglass really protected the rim.

Birddog
04-07-2011, 05:29 PM
The local "sports morons" on our most popular sports talk radio station actually talked about Ryan on two successive days this week. This was the first mention that i've heard of Ryan on their staion. They had referenced him earlier in the season, but they didn't even know his name: they just said that kid from Bridge Creek.

One guy said he didn't think Spangler was going to be an All American, but he did question why OU and OSU didn't even recruit the kid. He went on to say that he thought he would turn out to be a solid player. The next day it was just more about Capel losing his job and his terrible recruits and that maybe he should have recruited a little more in state, like getting the Spangler kid.

It should be pointed out that these two clowns don't really talk much HS sports and don't follow anything other than major BB recruits. Football is a different matter.

ZagLawGrad
04-07-2011, 06:14 PM
One guy said he didn't think Spangler was going to be an All American, but he did question why OU and OSU didn't even recruit the kid.... .

Could this be why OU and OSU didn't recruit him? I don't know.

"Spangler is not going to wow scouts with bounce and flashy plays, but he is a glue-type that just knows how to win and compete. He has a great understanding for the game and plays it like a seasoned veteran. He should be a solid 4-man at the mid-major level."
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/115689/ryan-spangler

willandi
04-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Could this be why OU and OSU didn't recruit him? I don't know.

"Spangler is not going to wow scouts with bounce and flashy plays, but he is a glue-type that just knows how to win and compete. He has a great understanding for the game and plays it like a seasoned veteran. He should be a solid 4-man at the mid-major level."
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/115689/ryan-spangler

I wonder how they would have described him if Duke, Kansas or UK had signed him? Probably just remove the 'mid-major level'.

kitzbuel
04-07-2011, 06:41 PM
OU & OSU wish they could be as good as solid mids right now. They have not been good.

ZagLawGrad
04-07-2011, 06:45 PM
I wonder how they would have described him if Duke, Kansas or UK had signed him? Probably just remove the 'mid-major level'.

I don't know. But I think the ESPN analysis was based on the opinion that the schools you mentioned weren't interested. I think.

willandi
04-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I don't know. But I think the ESPN analysis was based on the opinion that the schools you mentioned weren't interested. I think.

But that was my point. It is easy to say that he will be a solid 4 at a mid-major level after he signs to go to a mid-major. Had he signed to go to one of the top schools, would their assessment be the same? I think not!! This is the same politics involved as polls, recruiting classes etc. imho.

CaliforniaZaggin'
04-07-2011, 08:19 PM
What happened to all those people who claimed that Ryan wasn't good enough to play at Gonzaga? We haven't heard from them in a while.

MDABE80
04-07-2011, 08:43 PM
What happened to all those people who claimed that Ryan wasn't good enough to play at Gonzaga? We haven't heard from them in a while.

I don't remember them

Birddog
04-08-2011, 04:31 AM
Travis Ford became the coach at OSU in Spring of 08. He has yet to sign a kid from Oklahoma. I'm not sure if he has even gone after any Oklahoma kids.
This year's class is not considered to be very strong. Spangler is probably Best of Class. The Oklahoman makes their picks on Sunday.

skan72
04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Travis Ford became the coach at OSU in Spring of 08. He has yet to sign a kid from Oklahoma. I'm not sure if he has even gone after any Oklahoma kids.
This year's class is not considered to be very strong. Spangler is probably Best of Class. The Oklahoman makes their picks on Sunday.

However, he has LeBryan Nash coming in next year!

Birddog
04-08-2011, 04:48 PM
However, he has LeBryan Nash coming in next year!

Nash is from Baja Oklahoma!

skan72
04-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Nash is from Baja Oklahoma!

Woops, I thought you meant OSU's incoming class wasn't very strong, didn't realize you meant the class of Oklahoma state seniors isn't very strong.

zag buddy
04-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Very nice article from Ryan.
http://newsok.com/following-a-hoop-dream/article/3556880

Baseline
04-09-2011, 04:36 PM
My dad has always told me, ‘You’re not always gonna play your best game, but if you go hard, you’ll be OK.’ So I’m trying to keep learning to go hard all the time. It’s still a work in progress.

Love that quote, its a big key to success in life and just what the Zags need.