• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Gimmicky Ideas for Various Sports

1. If a Field Goal in football is longer than 50 yards, it's worth 4 points.

2. If a par putt in golf is longer than 30 feet it converts to a birdie putt; if a birdie putt is longer than 30 feet it converts to an eagle putt; if a bogey putt is longer than 30 feet it converts to a par putt.

3. If a homerun in baseball is estimated with special high-tech flight projector to be over 475 feet long, it counts for two runs.

4. If a tennis player serves three straight serving aces, he is awarded two match points.

5. If a touchdown is a 70-yard or longer running play, it is worth 7 points. If a touchdown pass is longer than 80 yards, it is worth 7 points. If a kickoff is returned 95 yards or longer, it is worth 7 points.

6. If a soccer goal is kicked from 35 yards or longer away, it's worth 2 points.

How downright silly and gimmicky are the above? Oh wait, I thought of one more:

7. If a basketball player makes a basket from 20' 9" or longer, it's worth 3 points.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    7. If a basketball player makes a basket from 20' 9" or longer, it's worth 3 points.
    Someone needs to break out all the old CBA rules on extra points for baskets made from distance and all that. I couldn't keep track, but it was funny stuff.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
      Zag for Life
      • Jun 2009

I can't agree with you on this one. If a the 3-pointer is gimmicky than so is the forward pass. It means any hot team can win any game even if they are overmatched and makes for a better overall product in March (thus the madness).

I would argue that the college line needs to be at NBA range and the offensive foul circle under the hoop established so there is a reason to drive and have a mid-range game.
      The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• JohnOGU
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Feb 2008

I'm not sure where this thread belongs, but it probably doesnt belong here.

Comment

• BobZag
          Dark Lord of the Zag
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by tinfoilzag View Post
          I can't agree with you on this one. If a the 3-pointer is gimmicky than so is the forward pass. It means any hot team can win any game even if they are overmatched and makes for a better overall product in March (thus the madness).

I would argue that the college line needs to be at NBA range and the offensive foul circle under the hoop established so there is a reason to drive and have a mid-range game.
          The forward pass is not awarded extra points.

Comment

• former1dog
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Bob,

First, I love you man.

Second, you might be right about the 3 point shot being gimicky.

Third, I must ask, where would Gonzaga Basketball be without the 3 point shot? (Speaking historically here)

Comment

• CDC84
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Here's another gimmicky thing....the technical foul in basketball. In what other sport do officials essentially hand over points to one team due to the misbehavior of an individual on the opposing team? In football you can get a penalty flag and lose field position, but it's not points. In baseball, the ump throws you out of the game. But if a basketball player player screams No! to a bad call and the ref thinks he dropped an F-Bomb, the other team gets to send their 92% foul shooter to the line for uncontested shots.

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
                Bob,

First, I love you man.

Second, you might be right about the 3 point shot being gimicky.

Third, I must ask, where would Gonzaga Basketball be without the 3 point shot? (Speaking historically here)
                It doesn't matter. A gimmick is a gimmick is a gimmick.

Comment

• former1dog
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

It doesn't matter. A gimmick is a gimmick is a gimmick.
                  How about 2 pts for a made basket vs 1 point for a free throw? Gimmick?

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Is this the coaching staff's attitude towards the three-point shot, as well? Perhaps they think the NCAA will get rid of this "gimmick" and, thus, there is no need for Gonzaga to improve in this aspect.

I see I see...

Comment

• gozagswoohoo
                      Time Zone Challenged Board Greeter
                      • Feb 2007

Okay, I thought about this one a few months ago, and I think it's actually a COOL idea!! Tell me what you think.

In a baseball game, if there is a wild pitch, the BATTER can attempt to run to first base. He doesn't HAVE to run, but can if he chooses to do so. If he leaves the batter's box, there is no turning back.

If a guy is down 2 strikes to none, and there is a wild pitch, ya never know, he might try to get to first if the wild pitch gets away from the catcher.
                      Thoughts?
                      Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Comment

• sittingon50
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I'm with ya', BZ

In Track & Field, how should the individual that catches the Javelin be rewarded? Based on distance traveled or wind speed at ground zero?
                        But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
                          Okay, I thought about this one a few months ago, and I think it's actually a COOL idea!! Tell me what you think.

In a baseball game, if there is a wild pitch, the BATTER can attempt to run to first base. He doesn't HAVE to run, but can if he chooses to do so. If he leaves the batter's box, there is no turning back.

If a guy is down 2 strikes to none, and there is a wild pitch, ya never know, he might try to get to first if the wild pitch gets away from the catcher.
                          Thoughts?
                          That might make for some interesting strategy in an otherwise dull game. Would teams intentionally throw controlled wild pitches to trick good hitters into running - like baiting a steal? Would this force baseball fans to keep track of yet another bizarre, meaningless stat? I can hear the announcers, now. "This pitcher's IWPO % (Intentional Wild Pitch Out Percentage) against lefties is among the best in the American League."

Hmmmmmm....
                          “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• maynard g krebs
                            Zag for Life
                            • Sep 2009

The great Ralph Miller said if you're gonna award 3 points for something, it should be for getting a layup out of your halfcourt offense.

Comment

Working...
                            X