PDA

View Full Version : 2013-14 recruit (you heard it here first)

tyra
04-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Brendan Leonard. Finishing his sophomore year. 6'6"", 220 pounds. Plays 3 through five. Nice outside shot. Father is 6'7" (taught Micah Downs) and coached many years. Brendan will be at least 6'8" and maybe 6'10". Playing elite ball in Seattle this summer. He LOVES Gonzaga.

MDABE80
04-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I hope you're right. Bigs needed over there-----> Zagville:)

ID ZAGFAN
04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
School: Olympia High School (Class of 2013) Sport: Basketball
Club Team: Friends of Hoop Seattle Height: 6' 6"

Great recruiting pics.

ZaGranny

Zagdawg
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
As a sophomore.....1.7 points per game and .8 rebounds (yes that is point 8).

24 points and 11 boards total for his entire sophmore year.

Unless he has a big jump in his junior year...i'm not sure I see it.

realtydog
04-06-2011, 08:16 PM
yet........ this is what I comment on?...oooopppss back in my hole

NewLookZag
04-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Oh no. All we need is another project. Sorry, I'd prefer players who have played and excelled at Basketball for a few years prior to enrolling.

RockandRollJames
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Brendan Leonard. Finishing his sophomore year. 6'6"", 220 pounds. Plays 3 through five. Nice outside shot. Father is 6'7" (taught Micah Downs) and coached many years. Brendan will be at least 6'8" and maybe 6'10". Playing elite ball in Seattle this summer. He LOVES Gonzaga.

Does he really LOVE Gonzaga? One of his Facebook pictures is Lorenzo Romar.

Hey, but I'm always down for an Olympia shoutout. Gotta represent. Go Bears!

MaroonZag22
04-07-2011, 11:23 AM

We need to remember that he is only a sophomore, and his lack of great stats may have more to do with PT than it does with skill. If he was playing most of the game and getting only 1.7 points and .8 rebounds, yeah, that is bad news bears. But if he is only in there for 4 minutes a game, that isn't quite as bad. From looking at his stats, it would appear that he is a pretty good shooter. Shot 64% from the field and 60% from behind the arc. Granted, this could be skewed by taking so few shots and thus gets a higher percentage increase for each make, but if he is getting very little PT, then you could see a huge jump in stats just from getting more game time.

NewLookZag
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Does he really LOVE Gonzaga? One of his Facebook pictures is Lorenzo Romar.

Hey, but I'm always down for an Olympia shoutout. Gotta represent. Go Bears!

If he's got a picture on facebook of Romar, chances are he doesn't love Gonzaga....

We need to remember that he is only a sophomore, and his lack of great stats may have more to do with PT than it does with skill. If he was playing most of the game and getting only 1.7 points and .8 rebounds, yeah, that is bad news bears. But if he is only in there for 4 minutes a game, that isn't quite as bad. From looking at his stats, it would appear that he is a pretty good shooter. Shot 64% from the field and 60% from behind the arc. Granted, this could be skewed by taking so few shots and thus gets a higher percentage increase for each make, but if he is getting very little PT, then you could see a huge jump in stats just from getting more game time.

Very valid point, however a highly talented recruit, the type of guy we want here at Gonzaga usually is good from his freshman year of high school, till his senior year. If he's not getting time as a Freshman/Sophomore in highschool, he's obviously got A LOT of work to do, and that's just at the H/S level.

former1dog
04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
My apologies for being dismissive, but the prospects of a kid who scores 1.7 ppg and gets less than 1 board a game being a Gonzaga recruit are VERY slim. I hope he proves me wrong and good luck to him.

Vizagra
04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
If he's got a picture on facebook of Romar, chances are he doesn't love Gonzaga....

Very valid point, however a highly talented recruit, the type of guy we want here at Gonzaga usually is good from his freshman year of high school, till his senior year. If he's not getting time as a Freshman/Sophomore in highschool, he's obviously got A LOT of work to do, and that's just at the H/S level.

Not entirely true. Calvary didn't play varsity as a Freshman and played a limited role as a Soph...you can't teach size, and it looks like this kid has it. If he has these numbers as a Jr, then we agree...

former1dog
04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Not entirely true. Calvary didn't play varsity as a Freshman and played a limited role as a Soph...you can't teach size, and it looks like this kid has it. If he has these numbers as a Jr, then we agree...

Different era of recruiting for Gonzaga, I would argue. For better or worse.

Yes, if Calvary was coming up today, we might have wiffed on him.

sittingon50
04-07-2011, 12:13 PM
IIRC, Dower bounced from JV to V as a soph.

UberZagFan
04-07-2011, 01:55 PM
IIRC, Dower bounced from JV to V as a soph.

IURC, MJ was cut from V and played JV as a soph. Pretty sure that turned out okay.

NewLookZag
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, if you're not getting any PT in high school your first two years, chances are you won't be worth a D1 scholarship for a program that has high high high hopes.

ZagsObserver
04-07-2011, 04:20 PM
"Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part, if you're not getting any PT in high school your first two years, chances are you won't be worth a D1 scholarship for a program that has high high high hopes."

+1

tyra
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
I am quite content to let this play out. There were reasons (good ones) that the kid didn't play more V this year but we'll see. He will start this fall. A reasonable expectation for performance would be something like 16 PPG and 10 Rs. I realize that many are called and few are chosen but he is worth keeping an eye on.

RockandRollJames
07-23-2011, 06:46 PM
He is on campus.