Three point shooting is our greatest need; agreed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thespywhozaggedme
    Banned
    • Feb 2007

Three point shooting is our greatest need; agreed?

I think after watching the team a lack of a dead eye shooter was our biggest detriment, slightly ahead of pg stability. What say you?
    Yes
    33.75%
    No
    57.50%
    Not sure
    8.75%
  • ZagFanInNC
    Kennel Club Material
    • Jul 2008

I think we need to dedicate ourselves on the defensive end and pound the rock inside. Like not just a few posessions in a row, im talking about game in and game out.
    Our front court will be one of the best in the country hands down with Rob, E, Sam and Kelly.
    To me our strenght next year will be in the paint, we need to milk it and get teams in foul trouble consistently...
    "If you don't know that you then dont know anything about basketball, you don't know anything about life" Adam Morrison

Zagfaninnc is no longer in NC, back in Spokane

Comment

• 2wiceright
      Bleeds GU Blue
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
      I think after watching the team a lack of a dead eye shooter was our biggest detriment, slightly ahead of pg stability. What say you?
      Agreed. Without a deadeye 3 pt. shooter or two our inside game gets bogged down w/everbody sagging in on our bigs. 3 pt. threats are much needed for a balanced attack- even though out first priority is to try to get it inside for an easy bucket- then kick it back out for a three if defense sags...

That being said, if we are going to make any "noise" next year we also need to play lock down 'D' - as everyone seems to have their best 3 point shooting night against us!
      "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
      -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

3 pt defense is much more needed. We really don't do so bad with our shooting.

Comment

• VinnyZag
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

UConn made a grand total of two 3-pointers in its two final four games.

GU is more in need of guys who can defend along the 3-point line than guys who can shoot from there.

Comment

• RockandRollJames
            Kennel Club
            • Feb 2010

Four things in no particular order that I want to see improved:

Defending the 3-ball (obvious)

Shooting the 3

Playing tough, scrappy defense in general (Butler style)

Driving on offense (not likely, as it doesn't fit our system to do a lot of it)

Comment

• Reborn
              Zag for Life
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by VinnyZag View Post
              UConn made a grand total of two 3-pointers in its two final four games.

GU is more in need of guys who can defend along the 3-point line than guys who can shoot from there.
              There is a big differencd between UCONN and GU. The most glaring is there ability to recruit really great big and powerful low post players who really rebound and defend the basket.

I would say the greatest need right now is going to be a pointguard who is a scorer and defender and will possess leadership skills. Outside shooting is a must from the point. We just lost our biggest weapon from the outside, and he was someone who was tough on defense.
              Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• FuManShoes
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I don't see three point shooting as our need, but rather better ballhandling, playmaking and perimeter defense from everyone. Hoff can shoot the three - he is our sniper - but he has to become a more complete player.
                “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

in order...

needs in order...

1. lead guard who feeds the post and poses a shooting threat
                  2. two guard who is a threat on the secondary break
                  3. 3-pt defense
                  4. post players who can pass out and score as well

Comment

• BJZags
                    Kennel Club Material
                    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ZagFanInNC View Post
                    I think we need to dedicate ourselves on the defensive end and pound the rock inside. Like not just a few posessions in a row, im talking about game in and game out.
                    Our front court will be one of the best in the country hands down with Rob, E, Sam and Kelly.
                    To me our strenght next year will be in the paint, we need to milk it and get teams in foul trouble consistently...
                    Agreed. All this talk about we are an offensive team has got to stop. When the shots aren't falling, the defense never goes away unless the heart is broken!
                    Failure isn't fatal. Failure to change might be.
                    Coach John R. Wooden

Comment

• theothegreat21
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

The three big needs are as follows:

1) Perimeter Defense
                      2) More Perimeter Defense
                      3) Perimeter Defense

I don't care about the inflated defensive stats that everyone points to, which only look good because USD and Pepperdine are on the schedule twice each year. When we play the elite teams, the defense looks like crap. That starts with the coaching staff and the gameplan that is put into the place, and is only made worse by the lack of elite athletes on the perimeter.
                      ONIONS!!!!!!

http://thekennelreport.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Angelo Roncalli
                        Bleeds Bulldog Blue
                        • Feb 2007

1. One or two point guards who can effectively run the offense, dribble penetrate, and can shoot the midrange and 3 point shots well enough to force the opposition defend them.

2. A long 3 who can slash, make his own shot, hit the three, defend and rebound.
                        You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Comment

• former1dog
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by theothegreat21 View Post
                          The three big needs are as follows:

1) Perimeter Defense
                          2) More Perimeter Defense
                          3) Perimeter Defense

I don't care about the inflated defensive stats that everyone points to, which only look good because USD and Pepperdine are on the schedule twice each year. When we play the elite teams, the defense looks like crap. That starts with the coaching staff and the gameplan that is put into the place, and is only made worse by the lack of elite athletes on the perimeter.
                          1 - Yes
                          2 - By golly I think you have a point there
                          3 - Agreed !

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2009

We need a guy that wants the ball and can score off the dribble and create. Period. Steven did that at times - but he wasn't Jimmer, Kemba, etc. Not even close. This person (GBJ?)will probably be able to knock down 3's... so if that's the qualification I would say it's a big need.

Comment

• scottloos
                              Redshirt
                              • Sep 2007

We need the perimeter defense....if we get a three pointer shooter...fine...but we need to work on our 3-point defense. It kills us time and time again.

Comment

Working...
                              X