PDA

View Full Version : Who do the Blazers take?

23dpg
06-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Greg Oden: Defense, Once-in-a-decade post player

Kevin Durant: Offense, Incredible combination of size and skills

MickMick
06-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Oden's workout numbers are off the charts. He will be the best NBA center since Shaq (in his prime).

bayzag09
06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
the real poll should be if the sonics take durant. now thats a question

Zag79
06-23-2007, 12:35 AM
the trail blazers front office said durant had the most impressive workouts hes ever seen in that bldg. quite a statement if you consider all the players that come through the nba for workouts before draft day. im sticking to my guns and saying kevin will help his team more than oden overall.

soonerterp
06-23-2007, 02:37 AM
Portland has a tough decision to make but I also think Pritchard is sending out smokescreens and false intelligence to throw off those who are chasing him.

I think they'll pick Greg Oden.

LongIslandZagFan
06-23-2007, 06:00 AM
I think you take Oden because while Durant is talented, another one like him DOES come along every once in awhile... with players like Oden they come along every decade or possibly two. You HAVE to take Oden.

tyra
06-23-2007, 06:29 AM
The Blazers had the first selection in the draft years ago. They had lost Bill Walton and just knew they had to have a center. No team could win in the NBA, they reasoned, without a quality center. They chose Sam Bowie. The next guy to go in the draft was Michael Jordan.

deathchina
06-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Best case scenario is that Kev Durant becomes a Kobe/Mcgrady type player. Very very good.

Nobody in the NBA right now can do what Oden projects to do.

gotta go Oden.

BobZag
06-23-2007, 09:45 AM
It's a slam dunk.

Oden.

sittingon50
06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Sam Bowie.

ZagNut08
06-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Blazer Management would all be burned at the stake if they take durant and oden lives up to the hype

zagco
06-23-2007, 12:05 PM
The Blazers will probably take Sam Bowie.

thespywhozaggedme
06-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Tyra,
actually that's innaccurate. The Rockets had the #1 pick in the draft that year and took Akeem Olajuwon (no H at the time), Portland followed with Bowie and the Bulls picked MJ. Two teams passed on Jordan, one worked out, the other didn't. Those 1st three picks did play out according to projections at the time. No one knew Bowie would have such problem with his feet.

On the original topic, I know that I'm in the minority but I'm not sold on Oden as an offensive player. he has no moves whatsoever, none. Plus he's already 43 years old.:D

I think if the Blazers took Durant a starting lineup of this: PG:Jack, SG:Roy, SF Durant, PF:Randolph and C: Aldridge would be flat out awesome. Plus a very good bench. But hey, what do I know?

CDC84
06-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I can't think of many players in the history of the draft that are more of a no brainer #1 pick than Oden. And I don't care who has the #1 pick...it could the Spurs, the Blazers, the Heat, anyone. IMO, he was also a no brainer #1 pick after his junior and senior years in high school as well. He's only going to improve on offense with his intellect and work ethic, but that is not the reason you draft him. You draft him because he's going to have the biggest impact on the game from the defensive end of any player who has played the game at any level throughout the world since Bill Russell.

And I am someone that believes that Durant, if he maintains his health, has a chance to be a Hall of Fame caliber of player at the next level.

LongIslandZagFan
06-24-2007, 06:59 PM
I can't think of many players in the history of the draft that are more of a no brainer #1 pick than Oden. And I don't care who has the #1 pick...it could the Spurs, the Blazers, the Heat, anyone. IMO, he was also a no brainer #1 pick after his junior and senior years in high school as well. He's only going to improve on offense with his intellect and work ethic, but that is not the reason you draft him. You draft him because he's going to have the biggest impact on the game from the defensive end of any player who has played the game at any level throughout the world since Bill Russell.

And I am someone that believes that Durant, if he maintains his health, has a chance to be a Hall of Fame caliber of player at the next level.

Listen... it the deepest fiber of my being I am Knicks fan as much as I'd like to forget about them. I'd be happy in a pig in something that is brown that is not mud if Durant was a Knick. But I also look at how someone named Ewing changed that team in such a dramatic way since he was the Oden of the time.

Regardless of team, if Oden is on the board... take him. The Durant types
are there every other year if not every year. Oden/Ewing types... you are a fool to pass over.

23dpg
06-24-2007, 09:29 PM
I'll fess up here.

All along I've been a big Durant guy. I feel that he is way more talented than an "every other year" kind of player. He is special. He was by far the best player in the nation last year in college. So when the Blazers lucked into the #1 pick, I immediately thought...............take Oden.

Zag79
06-25-2007, 12:27 AM
I know that I'm in the minority but I'm not sold on Oden as an offensive player. he has no moves whatsoever
agreed.

All along I've been a big Durant guy. I feel that he is way more talented than an "every other year" kind of player. He is special. He was by far the best player in the nation last year in college.
again, agreed. durant was easily the best player in the ncaa last season. he was superior to oden in the offensive dpt, AND matched him in the dpts oden is "god" like in to many oden fans. you cant honestly tell me a player like durant comes along more often than oden! what frosh came in and accomplished what durant did in your recent memory? none that i recall. upside aside, how many bigs have come along and done what oden did? quite a few. durants season was far better than oden in showcasing his skills and ability. we can only wait and see. ;)

Robzagnut
06-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Oden without a doubt. There shouldn't really be any discussion. Garnett/McGrady players come along a lot more often than a true, dominant center.

If the Sonics move then I'll have to become a Trailblazer fan anyway. Unless...

If Sonics move, then Charlotte sees Seattle market and moves Bobcats (and Ammo) to Seattle.

PilotNut
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
These billboards are up in Portland...

(and for the record, I honked once)

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanzano/large_billboard.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
what frosh came in and accomplished what durant did in your recent memory?

Got 1 name for you... Carmello.

In the last few years you have seen Mello, LeBron, DWade just to name a few that were versatile guard/wing players like Durant. But outside of Shaq and Ewing, there hasn't been the one post player. Don't give me Yao as an example because he is far from being what the other two were/are.

Robzagnut
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
>what frosh came in and accomplished what durant did in your recent memory? none that i recall.

You mean the frosh that lead his team to the Finals this year and dominated the four Florida big men?

sonuvazag
06-25-2007, 01:47 PM
Oden also tested higher in speed and agility drills than Durant. Folks here in Spokane who saw Durant play in person weren't impressed. Durant probably would be the number one pick in a lot of drafts... not this one and not the one Shaq was drafted in or Robinson or Duncan or Ewing.

The thing I like best about Oden is that he wants to be a big-man player. He's not going to bother himself trying to learn how to shoot 19 footers. He will be a great complement to any slasher type as a picker, a dump-off option, and a rebound-dunk option. Mike Conley Jr's stock right now, in my opinion will never be higher. Whoever in Portland chooses to become that dynamic duo tag team partner of Oden's will become a sensation also.

And on defense, Oden will be a beast. He will be the best shot-blocker, the best shot-alterer, and the best reason not to drive the lane for opponents in the NBA for years.

Zag79
06-26-2007, 12:58 AM
Mello, LeBron, DWade exactly. and that type of player will get their respective team farther than an oden will.

there hasn't been the one post player that what? avgd 15 and 9? there are plenty of big men with those stats, and much better. dwight howard comes to mind. durant is jst much more proven to me, thats all. upside is a gamble. a big one. oden reminds me of a mutombo more than a russell.
again this is only my opinion, and i expect some heat for not going with the flow of traffic. ;)