PDA

View Full Version : Next Season's Preseason Polls and Bracketology Thread

BobZag
04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Luke Winn weighs in with Zags at #27.

http://tourney.si.com/2011/04/05/after-the-confetti-our-top-32-for-11-12-2/?eref=sihp

Lunardi will publish his first bracketology Monday.

Reborn
04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
Lousey as usual. Only two teams who are NOT from major conferences are in the Sweet 16, and GU is not one of them. I follow this polster thats for sure. This guy shows no imagination at all.

sullyzag66
04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
Final Four!

VinnyZag
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Garry Parrish puts 'em at No. 22 in his annual Ridiculously Early Preseason Top 25 (and one) (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14903810/ridiculously-early-preseason-top-25-and-one-uk-no-1-as-of-now).

RockandRollJames
04-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I'd start with us outside the top 25. We have to earn it.

gu03alum
04-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Top 10 team next year. There is no doubt in my mind. We have everyone coming back except Mr. Gray and our second best recruiting class coming in (after Mr. Gray's recruiting class of Gray, Daye, and Sacre).

JAGzag
04-06-2011, 06:10 AM
Top 10 team next year. There is no doubt in my mind. We have everyone coming back except Mr. Gray and our second best recruiting class coming in (after Mr. Gray's recruiting class of Gray, Daye, and Sacre).

I have to agree, we lose one player who can be replaced and with the way the team developed towards the end of the year (think Carter), with our bigs returning, why wouldn't we be top 10? With our incoming frosh and a now decent backcourt, coupled with a top 5 front court, we should be pretty well respected early on.

U Zig, I Zag
04-06-2011, 07:53 AM
I think Goodman has us Top 25 (came out today). Points out the obvious: lose Steven, lots of bigs, needs guard play. References all the newcomers but doesn't mention they are a bunch of guards... so, you know.

I think we start someplace in the Top 25 in both polls as the season starts.

Therunner
04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Far-and-away one of the Top-15 most talented team in NCAA next year; HOWEVER, anything can happen with our ridiculous out of conference schedule. I'd argue our schedule is actually tougher overall next season than it was this year.

Honestly, I used to be excited, proud, and admired our ability to sprinkle in a few high-profile BCS teams before WCC starts. Now, I think its starting to get out of hand. Sure, its great for recruiting, fun for fans, but its beginning to hurt us more than help us, especially with the rise of a few teams in the WCC and the addition of BYU.

The NCAA committee used to respect our wins and our losses as long as we played the games, now the expectations are MUCH MUCH higher by everyone including us and they want the wins(no matter the opponent).

I may get ripped for this, but I'd like us to scale back, just a little bit, and give our more talented teams more time to gel, play together, gain momentum, etc before we play 6 Top-25 teams in 10 days to start the season.

Even Coach Few has said as much the last 2 seasons saying he's asked too much of his boys and put them through the grinder and "overscheduled" again, etc. Those are exact quotes by Coach Few over many a interview...

gamagin
04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
and shoot the bottom, say, 25% of pollsters at the end of each season who got everything terribly wrong, I'd take a keener interest in the science of guessing.

Therunner
04-06-2011, 08:23 AM
The well-respected, credible, & sports website filled with sound journalism has ranked us #27 in the "very early Top-25 rankings".

HERE (http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8JY3).

ZagNative
04-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Jeff Goodman on FoxSports (http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/NCAA-tournament-Kentucky-gets-top-spot-for-preseson-top-25-040511) has the Zags at #21.

BobZag
04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=6299371

23dpg
04-06-2011, 09:51 AM

I strongly disagree (in a friendly way). I really don't think we are anywhere near the top 10 in talent. And the recruiting class, while good, is not rated in anyone's top 10. We all love Gonzaga, but I think a little perspective is in order. Gonzaga has NEVER had a recruiting class rated as a top 10 class. GU just doesn't get the super-duper stars.

That being said, a team is more than just the individual parts. Gonzaga could possibly end up in the top 10......I just think starting there is not realistic.

former1dog
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Gonzaga has NEVER had a recruiting class rated as a top 10 class. GU just doesn't get the super-duper stars.

What ranking did Daye, Sacre, Gray have? Just curious.

23dpg
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
What ranking did Daye, Sacre, Gray have? Just curious.

If I recall correctly there were rated #11 by one service and #25 by another.

As an example. Wiltjer is rated #22 by Scout. Gonzaga has never had a player rated that high. Next year he will be the lowest rated player of 4 that Kentucky has coming in.

cjm720
04-06-2011, 10:03 AM
I strongly disagree (in a friendly way). I really don't think we are anywhere near the top 10 in talent. And the recruiting class, while good, is not rated in anyone's top 10. We all love Gonzaga, but I think a little perspective is in order. Gonzaga has NEVER had a recruiting class rated as a top 10 class. GU just doesn't get the super-duper stars.

That being said, a team is more than just the individual parts. Gonzaga could possibly end up in the top 10......I just think starting there is not realistic.

Recruiting rankings are just as political as polls IMO. U of W is ranked in the top 25 for '11 because of Tony Wroten. Well, from all accounts Bell is likely better than Wroten (certainly from a team perspective at this stage in their careers), and we have a few other gems in Pangos, Spangler, Sarbaugh, and Draganis, all low-profile kids other than Pangos who's from Ontario.

I'm not saying we're top 10 talent good, but we're better than our ranking or lack thereof suggests.

If Bell can contribute 75% of what Steven provided, we're certainly top 20 good with everyone back, the newbies...build the chemistry and tally up the Ws!!!!!!!!

23dpg
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I don't disagree that politics plays a roll with these services. I'm not a huge fan of the whole process. But it is important to remember that it is their jobs to get it correct more than not.

Also, there are probably 40+ basketball boards where fans of CBB teams are completely jacked about the recruits coming in next year. Its human nature.

Don't misread me. I also like the team next year and the recruits. But I think it is statistically unlikely that we are a top 10 team to start next year.

Go Gonzaga.:)

Coach Crazy
04-06-2011, 10:26 AM
If I recall correctly there were rated #11 by one service and #25 by another.

As an example. Wiltjer is rated #22 by Scout. Gonzaga has never had a player rated that high. Next year he will be the lowest rated player of 4 that Kentucky has coming in.

And Wiltjer was only rated that high because he was playing in the States. Had Pangos been a canuck playing in the States, he is probably not playing for Gonzaga. Had Wiltjer been in the same situation as Pangos is right now, we have both of them.

omahazag
04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1208483

BobZag
04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
So much depends on the newcomers. If two of them emerge as starters or get starters minutes, Top-25 seems about right.

I think the 2012-13 season is when the Zags hit their full stride in the backcourt again, on par with the days of the early 2000's. The frontcourt will have Dower, Olynyk, Spangler and the 2012 big recruits. That will be Top-15, imo.

rijman
04-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Luke Winn weighs in with Zags at #27.

http://tourney.si.com/2011/04/05/after-the-confetti-our-top-32-for-11-12-2/?eref=sihp

Lunardi will publish his first bracketology Monday.
Do us a favor Joe, please don't pick the Zags to win it all.

dawgfather11
04-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Recruiting rankings are just as political as polls IMO. U of W is ranked in the top 25 for '11 because of Tony Wroten. Well, from all accounts Bell is likely better than Wroten (certainly from a team perspective at this stage in their careers), and we have a few other gems in Pangos, Spangler, Sarbaugh, and Draganis, all low-profile kids other than Pangos who's from Ontario.

Just curious if by all accounts Bell is better than Wroten then wouldn't you think that they would atleast be close in the rankings or Bell slightly ahead? Averaging the 3 big services put Wroten ranked at 24 and Bell around 66/67. Wroten is considered a one and done NBA lottery type talent and Bell is a 4 year player. Now this isn't saying Bell isn't good or anything, I expect him to be special player over his 4 years at GU and he will definitely have a better college career, but he's not a better player.

Anyways back to the topic, I would put the zags around 23 in the preseason with Carters emergance in the later part of the year and hoping that Harris regains his freshman form. I really like dower down low as well, any chance we could see both him and rob playing together? That would be a monster line-up and tough for most teams to handle.

MDABE80
04-06-2011, 04:15 PM
DF....I think GU went with Bell because of the fit. Wroten's more of a star...not a team guy. Bell is. I doubt GU even tried with Wroten...and not so much because of his skills...it simply was thought Bell is everything we want. Wroten..not so much. Wroten fits better with Romar. The run and gun crazy purple wall.

Bell will get better within the context of the team concept.

Also though, I do think Rob, ELias and Sam will see some time on the floor...together.

GoZags
04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Just curious if by all accounts Bell is better than Wroten then wouldn't you think that they would atleast be close in the rankings or Bell slightly ahead? Averaging the 3 big services put Wroten ranked at 24 and Bell around 66/67. Wroten is considered a one and done NBA lottery type talent and Bell is a 4 year player. Now this isn't saying Bell isn't good or anything, I expect him to be special player over his 4 years at GU and he will definitely have a better college career, but he's not a better player.

Anyways back to the topic, I would put the zags around 23 in the preseason with Carters emergance in the later part of the year and hoping that Harris regains his freshman form. I really like dower down low as well, any chance we could see both him and rob playing together? That would be a monster line-up and tough for most teams to handle.

DF, you're fond of quoting recruiting services. GU has never had a Scout.com Top 25 class, and has a grand total of one (1) Rivals.com top 25 class. You'll excuse the folks here if they don't fawn over these recruiting services.

In the meantime, here are the links that named Gary Bell Jr. POY in the State of Washington:

Gatorade
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsportsblog/2014523092_kentridges_gary_bell_named_gat.html

AP
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/highschoolsportsblog/2014523092_kentridges_gary_bell_named_gat.html

And here are all the links that named Tony Wroten POY in the State of Washington:

MDABE80
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Funny GZ!!! lol......very funny! Clever too!

gu03alum
04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
It doesn't matter that this team doesn't get top 25 recruiting classes. If those things were accurate Gonzaga would never be ranked in the top 25 during the season.

This team is missing a player like Bell and Pangos. Those guys will make this already good team very good. Gray is a big loss, but his loss will be more than offset by the ball handlers/shooters coming in.

gu03alum
04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
The biggest problem I see for this team next year is how early in the game Few unloads the bench after building huge leads.

Vanzagger
04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
It doesn't matter that this team doesn't get top 25 recruiting classes. If those things were accurate Gonzaga would never be ranked in the top 25 during the season.

This team is missing a player like Bell and Pangos. Those guys will make this already good team very good. Gray is a big loss, but his loss will be more than offset by the ball handlers/shooters coming in.

Hopefully all the returning players keep working hard too. Lot's of depth next year. I could see the upper class men(9 of them) wanting to put their own stamp on this program. Take it to new heights.

NewLookZag
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM

You're setting yourself up for severe disappointment with expectations like this. Trust me, the "on paper" version always looks better than the end product.

Not to say this class/next years team wont turn out stellar, but slooowwww down.

rijman
04-07-2011, 06:48 AM
You're setting yourself up for severe disappointment with expectations like this. Trust me, the "on paper" version always looks better than the end product.Not to say this class/next years team wont turn out stellar, but slooowwww down.
Not always, look at Butler, VCU and Northern Iowa. The Zags have been more similar to the Boise State football program, competing against top level BCS conference teams with lesser rated recruits. What Butler basketball and Boise State football prove is you don't have to have the best players to compete at the top level, you can get by with good players who play well together.

NewLookZag
04-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Not always, look at Butler, VCU and Northern Iowa. The Zags have been more similar to the Boise State football program, competing against top level BCS conference teams with lesser rated recruits. What Butler basketball and Boise State football prove is you don't have to have the best players to compete at the top level, you can get by with good players who play well together.

You are correct, which is pretty supporting my argument.

I don't think that Butler fans were going nuts over those incoming recruits. I doubt they were claiming them to be "the best PG ever to come through the program" before they ever stepped on the court.

It's not an exact science. High expectations are almost never met, unless you're getting Calipari type recruits.