PDA

View Full Version : Gbj

Angelo Roncalli
04-05-2011, 12:33 PM
"Gary Bell. I play point guard. I'm going to Gonzaga next year."

Northwest Shootout Video & Interview:

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/1842321651671636128/gary-bell-jr-leads-washington-past-oregon-at-the-2011-northwest-shootout/

ZagNative
04-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Coming to Gonzaga on the 25th of June. :)

MDABE80
04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Seems pretty down to earth. Nice form on his jumper. Good speed and ballhandling. Good to see this vid. Thanks for the post Popester!

Therunner
04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
nt

U Zig, I Zag
04-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Gonna be enjoyable having him in a Zag uni. Seems like a personable kid.

Wonder what UW folks think, seeing him a black jersey that says 'Washington' on it. Suckas!

GBJ, get use to owning that UP court.

cjm720
04-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice and early! Glad to see GBJ and I chose Gonzaga for the same reasons (other than a D1 schollie) :)

former1dog
04-05-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm sure he does and probably pretty good at it too, yet if Gary wants the "ball in his hands" the moment he steps on campus, as he's repeated numerous times, its not gonna be at PG. Spot is taken and then some...his catch-n-shoot shooting ability is 2nd to none, along with his slashing ability & ability to rebound is PERFECT for the prototypical 2 guard. He's probably used to running his team in High School and doesn't realize you can steal have the ball plenty, get shots, and run the half-court offense as a SG in Gonzaga's offense. Kids these days get so caught up in positions; he can be a star at SG if he accepts this role(which will be offered soon enough).

Besides, Gary has one of the best catch-n-shoot 3pt balls in the Nation, which again is suitable for a SG, yet he is darn right sub par shooting off the dribble, which is more suitable for PG(and just so happens to be Pangos strength). Honestly, given his strengths, weaknesses, attributes, he should know better that he projects as an off-guard at this level.

Just my opinion, but I don't think we need to create controversy where there isn't any.

I don't know if you recall, but Gonzaga has had more than one point guard on the floor many times, even in our most recent season.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Just my opinion, but I don't think we need to create controversy where there isn't any.

I don't know if you recall, but Gonzaga has had more than one point guard on the floor many times, even in our most recent season.

and many times, none :)

U Zig, I Zag
04-05-2011, 12:57 PM

We may see a lot of 1/2 2/1 interchangeability. We have seen it before. People see MC as a 2/3 - but I would trust him to play PG without hesitation.

Kick up the tempo, start running and play tough D and they can all call themselves 'point guard'.

ZagMan in Philly
Love it, thanks for the link Angelo.
He can go left or right, sweet jumper with long range, can pass, can elevate, and such a friendly easy going kid. Thanks for coming to Gonzaga, GBJ. I am so excited!

former1dog
We may see a lot of 1/2 2/1 interchangeability. We have seen it before. People see MC as a 2/3 - but I would trust him to play PG without hesitation.

Kick up the tempo, start running and play tough D and they can all call themselves 'point guard'.

Hell, Villanova played that way. Why not us?

Or, what about real old school, the LMU lions where they all played guard and let Hank mop up the rest.

:D

gozagswoohoo
04-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Nice video! Thanks for posting that!

webspinnre
04-05-2011, 01:05 PM
Just because he won't be playing the "point" here at GU doesn't mean he won't have the ball in his hands a ton.

former1dog
04-05-2011, 01:12 PM
and many times, none :)

Very funny..... :clap:

HillBillyZag
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Somebody pinch me , is this kid for real ? I've got to think that With GBJ, Driginnis , Pangos , and the Sarbough kid coming in and with MC , Meech , and Stockton , we have at least seven guards , perhaps Fewie will substitute entire backcourts , like hockey lines ? If we can get another good big in 2012 , it scares me how good this team could be ?

Kiddwell
04-05-2011, 01:14 PM
Fun stuff. Thanks, Popemeister.

:]

FlagZag
04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
"...PG. Spot is taken and then some...". Oh really? By whom? The PG position is wide open and Coach will give all a fair chance at it. Come Nov. GBJ will be bringing the ball down the court is my guess but the competition will be fierce.

Colbyspapa
04-05-2011, 01:29 PM
If GBjr is the best point guard the day he steps on campus, he will be the starting pg. My guess is his freshman year will be at the 2 position, but you never know. Stepp played 2 his freshman year until Dickau broke his finger. I envision something like that. If Pangos doesn't redshirt, we will see a lot of youth with the ball in their hands next year.

jazzdelmar
04-05-2011, 02:10 PM
Somebody pinch me , is this kid for real ? I've got to think that With GBJ, Driginnis , Pangos , and the Sarbough kid coming in and with MC , Meech , and Stockton , we have at least seven guards , perhaps Fewie will substitute entire backcourts , like hockey lines ? If we can get another good big in 2012 , it scares me how good this team could be ?

i wouldnt paint them all with the same brush.............im hopeful 2 studs will emerge.................two very young ones...

QUOTE;If Pangos doesn't redshirt, we will see a lot of youth with the ball in their hands next year.

why wd pangos redshirt? hes in the nike classic sat....if we had dd and blake coming back, yes.....

ZagLawGrad
04-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Tremendous upside.

But it's college basketball at a high level, and not every kid handles that kind of transition very well right out of high school. Let's see what he brings in due course.

Gist?--take your time Gary, no pressure.

mgadfly
04-05-2011, 02:58 PM
GBJ shoots better off the dribble than he does coming off of screens. If he has a signature move it is his step back (off the dribble) to create space.

Few told him he was being recruited as a point guard, so I have to believe he will be given the opportunity to compete for the point guard spot.

I have to imagine that the PG/SG issue is important to GBJ because he is big enough to play PG at the next level but is probably too small to play SG.

BobZag
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Folks are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Remember when Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp used to play together? I could totally see a scenario where Pangos brings the ball up 50% of the time, and GBJ brings the ball up 50% of the time. Both could be called point guards. Put Carter with them, and it's a 3 guard attack.

webspinnre
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Few told him he was being recruited as a point guard, so I have to believe he will be given the opportunity to compete for the point guard spot.

I thought Few said that he'd have the ball in his hands, not necessarily that he'd be the PG.

ID ZAGFAN
04-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Looking forward to seeing that young man play for GU.

ZaGranny

Coach Crazy
04-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Agreed, BZ. They're both typical combo guard material not only in size...but also in skill set.

former1dog
04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Whom ever gets the "1"spot will have lots of competition in practice .

wazmix
04-05-2011, 07:37 PM
He really did pass the ball nicely when he beat his man off the dribble. Yet, the points came to him when he had the shot.

There was no showboat........but he was the show.
I wanted to see some "Zag material" from him, and I liked what I saw.

If he puts in the work, and makes the necessary transitions from HS to college, there are going to be highlights like these every single night.

(That dunk was awesome.........and I'm still kicking myself for blowing the picture. Maybe I'll get another chance at Chiles.)

Reborn
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the video. First video I've seen of Bell. He reminded me of Shelvin Mack from Butler. Wouldn't that be nice? I liked Bell's size. He looks strong with the ball, with a very good cross over dribble at full speed. Did you see his range? Wow!

My words to Gary Bell are to just be yourself, and believe in yourself. Don't back down from anyone. Go and win a starting job. It won't be given to you, nor should you want it to be. You must win it, and I think you can. BE a shooter too. You've got a good shot, and right now what Gonzaga needs is outside shooting. Be the one.

RockandRollJames
04-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Bart Scott said it best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxn3RoqTOQ

Colbyspapa
04-06-2011, 09:20 AM
If Pangos doesn't redshirt, we will see a lot of youth with the ball in their hands next year.

why wd pangos redshirt? hes in the nike classic sat....if we had dd and blake coming back, yes.....

Jazz I only put that in there because of the earlier interviews posted on this board where Pangos suggested he may want to redshirt a year to get stronger and learn the system. In all honesty, I don't see him redshirting unless Rotnei Clark comes to GU.

hooter73
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Carter was brought in as a point guard too. I can see alot of the games running three combo guards at once without having one of them be a pure traditional PG. Heck with our depth I can see running a 4 guard lineup against a few teams at least for a few minutes.

Doesnt really matter who brings up the ball, its who does something with it.

MDABE80
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Folks are making this way more complicated than it needs to be. Remember when Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp used to play together? I could totally see a scenario where Pangos brings the ball up 50% of the time, and GBJ brings the ball up 50% of the time. Both could be called point guards. Put Carter with them, and it's a 3 guard attack.

Few and GU in the past have had interchangable parts. It might be a bit much to ask to have two frosh out front taking the nulk of minutes right away. I do think these two are special and will get lots of time with or without the other. It's a new brand of guard at GU. We have some good ones coming back. Very few guards coming in have universal accolades as these kids do. I don't remember any. If they perform they'll get lots of time.
Superior shooters and good on ball defenders. Not much to complain about here.

Zag79
04-07-2011, 10:09 PM
"...PG. Spot is taken and then some...". Oh really? By whom? The PG position is wide open and Coach will give all a fair chance at it. Come Nov. GBJ will be bringing the ball down the court is my guess but the competition will be fierce.

not if it works out the same as when carter was going to take meechs spot... im always open to the best player starting and/or getting the most important minutes, but i dont see meech letting a frosh beat him out. should be an exciting off season, and we should be in good shape no matter the line up!

NEC26
04-08-2011, 05:34 AM
not if it works out the same as when carter was going to take meechs spot... im always open to the best player starting and/or getting the most important minutes, but i dont see meech letting a frosh beat him out. should be an exciting off season, and we should be in good shape no matter the line up!

Meech lost a lot of minutes to a walk on freshman but you don't think its possible Pangos or GBJ take his starting spot? :rolleyes:

Zag79
04-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Everyone needs a sub, Stockton was that. And when it mattered in march, you saw who got all the minutes. Some of you swore Carter would replace meech, and that never happened. I personally wouldn't be shocked one bit if meech keeps his spot all seson, and rightfully so if the freshman isn't good enough. May the best player get the minutes, I just honestly don't see that being the new comers.