PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if any VCU fans feel like this:

kclubfounder
04-02-2011, 04:47 PM
:enraged:

Doubtful, because this was all so new to them. But, give them a few years of success, or heaven forbid a decade of success (if Shaka stays), and losing a game they could have won (and SHOULD have won in their minds) will cause all kinds of angst - no matter WHEN it happens.

Only one fan base will be completely satisfied when this dance is over. That is the problem with the format. But it remains the greatest sporting event of the year.

Go Butler! Beat Kentucky or UConn!

HillBillyZag
04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Every time Butler wins a game , the talking heads recite all of the reasons they should have lost . Name me one team that you've seen this year that plays more together or plays harder for forty minutes . They are interested in only one thing , WINNING, not who is going to get the headlines , or have be an NBA lottery pick . They know if you keep winning all of those things will work themselves out . There are few Coaches out there that can get kids to believe
that , I think Few has , at times , but that next step has been a hard one. Bob Knight , Coach K , and now Brad Stevens have have proven it . The best players don't always WIN , the best TEAMS usually do .

Oregonzagnut
04-02-2011, 05:46 PM
we are all jealous. I wish Gonzaga had what Butler has. I am proud of where we are and in no way saying that I wish we were different, I just wish we had the same results.

IMO, Butler doing this 2 years in a row, is the best thing for our program. No longer are we the best mid-major, underdog, cinderella or little school on the verge of elite status. The nation does not expect Gonzaga to be the best "small school" anymore. We aren't right now. Fine, that doesn't change who we are, what we have accomplished and what we will accomplish. Butler doing this can only help us get better if we really do want to be the best. Maybe Butler's success will light a fire under us to stop maintaining the "status quo". It definitely gives visible proof that mid majors can win it all!

Butler earned everything they have. Now we have something to prove. Some really big national and media expectations were lifted of our shoulders. Let Butler have their day. This proves to the world that you don't need MacDonalds players or 6-7 5 star athletes to win it all. It will be interesting to see who Butler gets to replace the 2 senior starters.

Will they fade or will they continue to win? Or will they become the Buffalo Bills of NCAA basketball?

Ekrub
04-02-2011, 07:46 PM
It's easy to compare Butler and us, but we have accomplished two totally different things. While I am jealous (who isn't) of Butler's NCAA tourney success, I wouldn't trade that for the past 12 years With Gonzaga for anything. Part of that is the fact that I am a spokanite, and the other part is the relevance Gonzaga has had on the national scene year after year. Butler is our brother from another mother who I am jealous of and proud of at the same time, however we have accomplished very different (while both unprecedented) feats. Both programs have much to be proud of. Go Bulldogs GU and Butler.

MickMick
04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I have complete admiration and respect for Butler.

I have no problem with the concept that there has been a role reversal and that they have become the team that we wish to emulate.

Stevens can now assume fielding calls from aspiring small conference schools, asking for guidance, in their quest for the Holy Grail.

I'm just thrilled that this current GU team didn't go in the tank when things looked dire.

Next year is a different year. Zags just need to keep knocking on the door. Eventually fate will open it up and let them in.

The key is to keep knocking.

bballbeachbum
04-03-2011, 08:20 AM
on how VCU fans might be feeling, check it out

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/news/story?id=6285134

gamagin
04-03-2011, 08:25 AM
makes it easier and easier to just love Butler. The stuff of a champion: family. This is from another thread but deserves a spot here, imo.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42390985#42390985

gmo
04-03-2011, 09:34 AM
GO BUTLER!

How can you not pull for this team? They play completely as a team, with tenacity and a will to win that we can hope our Zags can emulate.

From the coach to the players to the fans... I have nothing but respect for Butler and really hope they take down the Huskies tomorrow night.