BobZag
03-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Very premature starting lineup:

PG: Haiden Palmer / Jazmine Redmon / Meiki Viela
SG: Keani Albanez / Meghan Winters / Meiki Viela
SF: Katelan Redmon / Danielle Walter / Shaniqua Nilles
PF: Kelly Bowan / Shelby Cheslik / Sonja Greinacher
PF/C: Kayla Standish / Shannon Reader / Stephanie Golden

Many play multiple positions, so designating specific positions is kinda tricky. For instance, Walter can play the 1 thru 3. Greinacher can play SF as well. And many more. A three-guard attack could be lethal against some teams, and this is more loaded inside than any previous Zags squad under Kelly Graves.

Be that as it may, the Zags will be loaded at every position once again for 2011-12.

U Zig, I Zag
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Any word on that walk-on, Vourtney Candershoot? She is 5'8", dark brown hair, wears it parted in the middle and a pigtail on each side? Heard she is REAL good.

EuroZag2010
03-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Yeah I'm looking forward to next season also. I believe Kayla is going to have a break out year, in the post game interview after Stanford she hinted that the off season is going to be busy. I believe she will put on some muscle and get stronger it bothered her that she was out worked by the twin towers/sisters. I have enjoyed watching Kayla she's going to take this team on her shoulders.

U Zig, I Zag
03-29-2011, 03:22 PM
Standish is money. Too bad she had that off shooting night. Love Katelan with the ball too, good handles - fast. Gets her shot off quick and isn't afraid to shoot, even when they aren't falling (shooters shoot their way out of it).

Palmer is the transfer, correct? She's good from: deep? transition? D?

Next year should be a good one!

spudzag
03-29-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm excited for next year too. Last nights game made it painfully obvious that height and muscle would benefit the frontcourt. Would love to see Stephanie at 6-3 be ready to play minutes. I seem to remember that Sonja Greinacher is 6-4 but don't know if she will arrive D-1 ready. Shelby is 6-5 which will be great when she can get more meat on her bones.

BZ, I think you have it nailed that the 3 seniors will start at 3, 4 and 5.

Juanzaga
03-29-2011, 03:33 PM
It may be very difficult to keep Sunny Greinacher out of the lineup. She was the Oregon 5-A Player of the Year in 2009 leading Willamette High to a 27-0 state championship as an exchange student. Kelly Graves has brought in an amazing class.

BobZag
03-29-2011, 03:57 PM
It may be very difficult to keep Sunny Greinacher out of the lineup. She was the Oregon 5-A Player of the Year in 2009 leading Willamette High to a 27-0 state championship as an exchange student. Kelly Graves has brought in an amazing class.

I know, and she has excelled in European Championship play.

BobZag
03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
I've watched Haiden twice in pick-up games prior to the season and she is the real deal. She can score from 3, from mid-range, driving to the hoop, and is terrific in transition. Her defense is right there with Jazmine Redmon, too. I was very impressed with her. She has that Jeremy Pargo-like bulk (female version) so she won't get knocked around on either end. At the time, I thought Haiden could be as good as Courtney, but then Courtney blew up and now I think it's totally unfair to expect that of her.

However, if Vandersloot is Stockton, Palmer could be Dickau or Stepp or Santangelo.

Here's her bio on gozags.com:

High School: Earned all-league honors all four seasons and was team captain for two... earned scholar-athlete honors all four years as well...named Athlete of the Year as a senior...led Vista Del Largo to 25-3 record her senior year...as a senior, led team with 16.7 points per game and averaged 7.2 rebounds and 3.1 assists ..posted 1.1 blocks and 3.1 steals on average... as a junior was named to the Southern California Interscholastic Basketball Coaches Association Division 1-A Second Team...averaged 17.5 points per game as a junior and tallied 97 assists - 4.2 per game - to go along with 106 steals, or an average of 4.6 per contest...ESPN's HoopGurlz.com rated as the nation's No. 72 shooting guard prior to her senior season... also lettered in track and field as a sprinter.

Haiden Palmer's Collegiate Career

FRESHMAN (2009-10): Played and stared in all 31 games as a freshman on the Oregon State University women's basketball team...averaged 10.8 points per contest; second best on the squad...also averaged 3.5 rebounds, 1.4 steals and 1.3 assists per game...was named to the Pacific-10 Conference All-Freshman team.

Zag fans are gonna like her a lot. I don't know how she couldn't be ranked by HoopGurlz. Haiden is easily Top-100 or better. You'll see next fall.

Juanzaga
03-29-2011, 05:04 PM
The real battle in the WCC next year will likely take place in the Kennel during our practices. We are very lucky to have two great programs like this in Spokane. It is nice to see Coach Graves has recruited some players with size and athleticism. We will be on a more equal playing field when we take on the Stanfords of the world in the future.

BobZag
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Albanaz and Greinacher are the gems of this 2011 class, but Viela is getting all sorts of praise from other coaches. Cheslik could be real good in a couple years and Nilles will be one of those solid role players that every successful team needs.

Keani is an outstanding shooter and is also good at driving it, plus she's good defensively. Sonja is a big-time player in the making. And Meiki could be the surprise of the bunch.

And don't forget Danielle Walter. She is outstanding. Her back needs to get better and stay better. If that happens...........

Could be Graves' best class yet. Very exciting to think about, with Palmer also looking like a stud.

Good times.

spudzag
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM
The great news is that Graves should be poised to attract a great group again (4) given the Elite 8 run, CV's profile and the confirdence that recruits that he will be around with a new contract in hand.

Just when it seems like a top, they keep climbing.

EuroZag2010
04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
@ShannonReader
Just got asked if I'd sign a ticket at Costco. Should have seen the disappointment of their face when they realized I wasn't Kayla Standish
Twitter for BlackBerry® • 4/1/11 3:44 PM

I thought it was funny how the community is embracig these young lady's without even knowing most of them. Lady zags are a hot commodity right now ;)

spudzag
04-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I would be please to have Shannon's autograph. I look for her to making a bigger contribution next season.

Oldsport
04-01-2011, 06:04 PM
For years, when I get depressed with graduating seniors at area universities, I remember just what fills that gap. I'm talking about the AAU teams that have helped so many female basketball players with earning scholarships. One local group is the Spokane Stars Elite managed by Mr. Ron Adams in Spokane. There will be an ALL STAR game in a couple of months. The best of the best high school girls will be there and so should you. Scan the internet for tournaments in Spokane, Yakima, Oregon City, Seattle and many other cities across this nation. The serious Elite Teams should catch your eye. :)

Oldsport

bballguy
04-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I love the outlook for next year also. Some questions for the fans to ponder:
We got crushed by Stanfords size inside. Will Golden, Reader, Cheslik and Greinacher provide some much needed depth down low?
How much impact will Albanez and Walters and Winters have shooting from the outside?
Will the fans let Haiden be Haiden or will they expect her to be the second coming of Courtney?
It will be fun watching the transformation from last years team to next years.

EagleFuzz
04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
For years, when I get depressed with graduating seniors at area universities, I remember just what fills that gap. I'm talking about the AAU teams that have helped so many female basketball players with earning scholarships. One local group is the Spokane Stars Elite managed by Mr. Ron Adams in Spokane. There will be an ALL STAR game in a couple of months. The best of the best high school girls will be there and so should you. Scan the internet for tournaments in Spokane, Yakima, Oregon City, Seattle and many other cities across this nation. The serious Elite Teams should catch your eye. :)

Oldsport

Very good post..That is a very good all star game. The Spokane Stars is a great program that starts in the 4th grade. In fact this years 4th grade team dominated the local AAU Division.

Oldsport
04-05-2011, 07:38 PM
The date will be June 1, 2011 at Lake City High School. (was 7:30 PM last year) Featuring the area's most elite girl's basketball players.

18th Annual
Region vs. Metro
Jack Blair Memorial
Girl's All-Star Basketball Classic

EagleFuzz
05-24-2011, 12:16 PM
The date will be June 1, 2011 at Lake City High School. (was 7:30 PM last year) Featuring the area's most elite girl's basketball players.

18th Annual
Region vs. Metro
Jack Blair Memorial
Girl's All-Star Basketball Classic

Will be a very fun game to watch.