PDA

View Full Version : Rim outs

gamagin
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
if we had just one point for every time a Zag shooter's shot would rim out, whether on numerous drives, mid range shots and treys, we would have been in this one. It was exasperating to watch.

I can only imagine how difficult it was on the great Lady Zags who kept trying and kept missing by millimeters. But they stayed with it and kept hammering. It just wasn't in the cards this night.

I felt sorry for our ladies on this account.

They did the work, the set ups, the ball movement and the creation of shots very, very well against a bigger, stronger, supereior, Cardinal team looking to make it to the FF for the fourth straight season, and the damned ball would NOT cooperate.

But it was not to be. So it goes and so it went.

adoptedzag
03-28-2011, 07:58 PM
I just wish we would have driven more. Court had #13 in the air on the baseline and could have drawn a foul. Most of the time we would have been swatted, but I'd rather take the chance at drawing fouls and getting to the line instead of rimming out 3's and long 2's. That's my only critique of a single game in a fabulous season.

sylean
03-28-2011, 08:00 PM
that is what I was saying to the hubby....just 5 more made shots in the first half and 5 more in the second....then who knows....

I'm really sad about this game...Stanford was bigger, stronger and they seem to get every rebound, every basket and every break...

and yet...just 5 shots in the first and 5 shots in the second....for all their behemouth players, that is all it would have taken...

we will be season ticket holders next year....and I will order tickets far in advance and I will be cheering them on ....

Section 116
03-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Scroll about half way down the page and click on the season ticket link underneath the red print: SEASON TICKETS-click on the button to purchase your 2011-2012 Women's basketball season tickets. They are $85 each for next season, up $10.00 from the current season and still a great bargain.

http://www.gozags.com/tickets/gonz-w-baskbl-tix.html

sylean
03-28-2011, 08:38 PM
done!

Section 116
03-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Money well spent Sylean, welcome aboard!!!!

willandi
03-28-2011, 08:48 PM
If we had two shots plus possesion for every flagrant (as determined by video...an elbow impacting the opposing players face) the outcome also might have been different.

But thanks for the ride!! I thought this might be the year that my sports fantasy came true, The Zags and the Mariners both playing meaningful games at the same time. I just somehow expected it to be the men, foolish, sexist man that I am.
Great run ladies. Thank you!!

gamagin
03-28-2011, 08:53 PM
zone and decided to stay with it as long as it worked in the second half. this after Court went something like 18 points in the first half. She then said, "we stayed in the zone the whole second half."

Asked how much the Cardinal had used the zone this season, she said 6 to 7 per cent of the time.

But vs. the Lady Zags, 50%. Great adjustment, damn them. But very effective. It's why they won, besides those big, very talented ladies who seldom allowed us a second shot on our end and seldom allowed us a rebound on their end.

Hats off to the Cardinal. As CV summed it up "they were better than we were tonight."

Zagineer
03-28-2011, 09:03 PM
zone and decided to stay with it as long as it worked in the second half. this after Court went something like 18 points in the first half. She then said, "we stayed in the zone the whole second half."

Asked how much the Cardinal had used the zone this season, she said 6 to 7 per cent of the time.

But vs. the Lady Zags, 50%. Great adjustment, damn them. But very effective. It's why they won, besides those big, very talented ladies who seldom allowed us a second shot on our end and seldom allowed us a rebound on their end.

Hats off to the Cardinal. As CV summed it up "they were better than we were tonight."

That sums it up, gam. From Gametracker, we had 11 Offensive boards. Stanford had 36 Defensive boards. Stated more bluntley, Stanford had 75% of every first shot bounce off our rim we attempted.

Kelly said it best last night. (paraphrase) If we could only grow taller between now and the game.

But,.....

I'm still soooo proud of our Lady Zags!! :clap:

sylean
03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
where did you see CV say that?....I've been checking and can't find any interviews or anything...

webspinnre
03-28-2011, 11:40 PM
If we had two shots plus possesion for every flagrant (as determined by video...an elbow impacting the opposing players face) the outcome also might have been different.

This was one of the main things I noticed - how rough the women's game was. I can think of three or four times easily that I pointed out to my wife that "in the men's game, that's a flagrant foul."

gamagin
03-29-2011, 05:31 AM
where did you see CV say that?....I've been checking and can't find any interviews or anything...

news conference w/graves at the Arena, which was televised on swx in spokane.

The Cardinal coach and three of their stars also gave props to CV and the Zag team afterwards. That was the first time I realized this team was returning to the FF for the fourth straight year.

One of the Ogwumike sisters said the roar from the GU crowd was the loudest she had ever heard when the team was being introduced. All of the gals and their coach went on to say they loved the partisan Spokane crowd. The adversity and the energy, they claimed, helped them to play better.

"We love Spokane," coach Tara Vanderveer said. She went on to say (quoting now from the morning paper) when asked about switching to the zone in the second half: "the basket got really big for Courtney. That happened once to me in my whole life. She's just a great shooter and we had to do something different."

The move was so effective and complete, CV went on to make 1-7 second half shots after going 7-11 in the first half including three treys for a total of 25 points and 9 assists.

CV, who was an all tourney selection, finished with 140 points and 40 assists in the 4 NCAA appearances.

bigblahla
03-29-2011, 06:09 AM
This was one of the main things I noticed - how rough the women's game was. I can think of three or four times easily that I pointed out to my wife that "in the men's game, that's a flagrant foul."

GU women were brutalized by the Cardinal. Watched the replay when I got home at least two flagrant fouls missed and lots of hard uncalled physical displacement in the paint where GU women were pushed shoved and elbowed out of the way. Stanford was allowed to use their size to their advantage with little recourse from the zebras.

Stanford deserved the win but the officiating was far from good.

Mrs.b and I will be renewing our season tickets and look forward to next season and the Lady Zags.

Go Lady Zags!!!

SKIZAG
03-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Odd. Stanford could not miss a basket, the Zags could not buy a basket. An inch here and an inch there could have changed the game. A few more rebounds could have helped, too.

Nonetheless, what a great season for the Gonzaga women. Great skill, great heart, great effort, great team.