PDA

View Full Version : Nicknames for Sacre

LongIslandZagFan
06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Taking from the discussion on the thread about Mr. Sacre... thought it would be good to have a poll for his nickname... if he needs one at all.

Robzagnut
06-21-2007, 12:30 PM
You left out the most obvious, which I think will stick...

Sacre Bleu

ZagNative
06-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Sacre Bleu sounds good to me, though out of deference to his secondary school chums in Vancouver, maybe we should stick with "Sugar." Nah, aren't new players like new kittens, in that they have to earn their names, with their on-court personalities determining the handle that sticks? We'll just hope the nickname Rob earns isn't "The Great Ginko," a/k/a "The immovable tree."

scrooner
06-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Big Rob.

surfmonkey89
06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Needs to be Bleu, so when he makes a big play I can scream "You're my boy Bleu!"

SWZag
06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
I like coming up with nicknames for people. It's fun to be creative and hand out nicknames, and receive them the same.

This may sound pretty silly/corny/stupid, but this one came to mind. The Envy! Where on earth did that come from? Well, afterall, Robert is from North Vancouver (NV). He's the envy of others....and we got him.

Another thing I thought of, which is even more of a stretch. I was trying to think of words that end of "saker," which is a misspronouncment of his last name. Forsaker is all I could think of off hand, and that didn't fit. But the word "saker" is a type of falcon/hawk. So something to do with that.

Anyways, enough of my imagination. I think someone will come up with something creative and fun.

SWZag

BobZag
06-21-2007, 02:13 PM
The Big Easy.

Does it matter that Ernie Els already has that nickname? Rob is from Louisiana, after all.

sonuvazag
06-21-2007, 02:33 PM
I like coming up with nicknames for people. It's fun to be creative and hand out nicknames, and receive them the same.

In that case, I think we should name him Pinto.

Mad props for the "You're my boy, blue" comment. I'm pos repping you for that.

sonuvazag
06-21-2007, 02:37 PM
That picture makes me think, "Fresh Prince."

Baldwinzag
06-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Saint Sacre.

Inspired by the new Tatoo on his arm(a Fleur de Lis), plus Rob is a passionate N.O. Saints fan. Reputed as a great guy and from Louisana doesn't hurt either. Could follow-up w/fun themes as "Saint Sacre...The Saint of Slam". Slam Dunks that is:p ...

Just to be sure, isn't Rob's last name pronounced "SOCK - RAY"?

tyra
06-21-2007, 02:49 PM
go any way other than Sacre Bleu is beyond me. But IF we have to, how about Flower Power? (Oooh, showing my age.)

lawzag
06-21-2007, 02:58 PM
you've all missed the Canadian connection -
what about the "Big Canuk"?
it would tie in with his being from "BC"....:lmao:

BobZag
06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
I know a guy who can't pronounce foreign names if his life depended on it.

He calls him "Scare."

Baldwinzag
06-21-2007, 03:27 PM
Maybe Lil' Rob as in "Little Rob and his Merry Men":p .

BBskorer
06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
I know a guy who....calls him "Scare."

Hmmmmm....

Sacre ----> "Scare"

Pargo ----> "Prago"

Hey BZ, the guy you know......look anything like this?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l310/BBskorer/5b6c49b0-5cce-4b1d-8926-795c007a187.jpg

MDABE80
06-21-2007, 05:18 PM
Mom's choice:) She's on the Board still. Maybe SHE should tell us his favorite name.

ZagTrain
06-21-2007, 05:57 PM
I like Sugar, but only if it is pronounced "Shuga", a la Pam Grier . . .

zzzjag
06-21-2007, 07:05 PM
For me its a coinflip

Sugar
or
Darth Niahilus

gonzagulous
06-21-2007, 07:49 PM
I know a guy who can't pronounce foreign names if his life depended on it.

He calls him "Scare."

Maybe we could do the Brett Favre thing and pronounce his name "sark". Then he could be Sark the Shark or something sweet like that.

I think I can envision myself yelling out "Sacre Whacker!!" every time he dunks.

GonzagaGurl08
06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Being nearly fluent in french, its hard to say how Sacre is really pronounced. I will take the guess that there is no accent on the last "e", but even then it's still up for debate. As a word in french Sacre could be a noun or a verb. Mrs. Sacre, where are you when we need you to remind us how to pronounce it??? Does anyone remeber that thread?? I'm not going to try to phonetically spell it out for hear of butchering his last name (plenty of folks will do that next year). It's either pronounced Sacre as in Sacre Coeur (the church in Paris) or as Sacre without the emphasis on the last syllable.

BBskorer
06-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Does anyone remeber that thread??Yeah GG08. Remember the thread, but forgot the right answer!! <<:doh:>>

I want to say "sack-ray", but what do I know....just as capable of failing that quiz as anybody else.

Anyway, as far as nicknames. It's a little wordy ;), but I like Rob "Don't You Bring That Weak Tot Action!! You Go Strong To The Hole, Or You Don't Go At All!!" Sacre.

Oh yeah, methinks Rob & the Zags are gonna reject a whole lotta tot this year.:)

Zag79
06-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Hey BZ, the guy you know......look anything like this?
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

brasszag
06-22-2007, 04:55 AM
Being nearly fluent in french, its hard to say how Sacre is really pronounced. I will take the guess that there is no accent on the last "e", but even then it's still up for debate. As a word in french Sacre could be a noun or a verb. Mrs. Sacre, where are you when we need you to remind us how to pronounce it??? Does anyone remeber that thread?? I'm not going to try to phonetically spell it out for hear of butchering his last name (plenty of folks will do that next year). It's either pronounced Sacre as in Sacre Coeur (the church in Paris) or as Sacre without the emphasis on the last syllable.

The other note is that his family is Acadian (Cajun) - it's neither France-French, or even Canadian-French, but Louisiana-French - so how it's pronounced may have nothing to do with either of the "purer" French dialects.

GonzagaGurl08
06-22-2007, 05:45 AM
Good point Brass. I had forgotten about it. Needless to say, regardless of how it's supposed to be pronounced, announcers will probably butcher it to pieces.

LongIslandZagFan
06-22-2007, 05:57 AM
Good point Brass. I had forgotten about it. Needless to say, regardless of how it's supposed to be pronounced, announcers will probably butcher it to pieces.

Big Easy is a good one as well.

kitzbuel
06-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Big Sugar or just Sac.

ZagDaddy
06-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Okay, I'm really feeling like I'm having a senior moment here but why exactly is Sugar one of the choices? What does that have to do with him? I don't get it.:confused:

GonzagaGurl08
06-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Okay, I'm really feeling like I'm having a senior moment here but why exactly is Sugar one of the choices? What does that have to do with him? I don't get it.:confused:

I believe its a play on words with the french word for sugar which is Sucre and his name which is Sacre. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Zag79
06-23-2007, 12:30 AM
robo is what one of the guys on the team called him in a conversation. i like big easy myself.

Rangerzag
06-23-2007, 04:33 AM

Report is his current school friends refer to him that way.

robo is what one of the guys on the team called him in a conversation. i like big easy myself.

I started off in the Sugar camp.

I really do like the idea of Robert slammin' a huge dunk with K2 roaring in response "That was EEEEEEE ZZZZZZZZZZ"

J-Mac Zag Forever
06-23-2007, 09:26 AM
You just said it. "The Butcher" he cuts up the other team.

skan72
06-23-2007, 09:16 PM
His last name is pronounced sack-ree

NJZag
06-24-2007, 07:13 AM
Needs to be Bleu, so when he makes a big play I can scream "You're my boy Bleu!"

:allhail:

More pos rep.

http://www.mattholzmann.com/blog/uploads/cranshaw.oldschool.jpg

gamagin
06-24-2007, 08:34 AM
<< Report is his current school friends refer to him that way.>>

It's not a sr moment. it's the relentelss dumbing down of words, language, meaning and substance. Sorry, My bad.

That said, if there were a ### and we were all to throw in a $1 or a $5, or a slice at David's, I'd be willing to bet if/when he hits it for us, it will be "Sacre Bleu !"

BobZag
06-24-2007, 08:56 AM
There's a reason surfmonkey is so creative--

http://www.funtimeok.com/files/2006/05/Roy_Orbison.jpg

LongIslandZagFan
06-24-2007, 06:48 PM
There is already a guy in my over 30 basketball league that is referred to as Blue but I'd have no prob referring to Mr. Sacre as Blue or should I say Bleu and treat it in the proper Cajun/French Candian?

IMHO if nobody else objects, I think he should be referred to as Bleu.

thespywhozaggedme
06-24-2007, 07:11 PM
He already has a nickname, it's sugar, been that way for a while in fact. Why do we change it just because he's coming to GU? Last year, on one of the Bobcats boards they were contemplating a nickname for Adam. I chimed in that he already had a nickname and it is Ammo. The same thing is going on here. His nickname is sugar, right, wrong or indifferent. If it wasn't I'd suggest Big Canada.

ZagNative
06-24-2007, 07:47 PM
His nickname is sugar, right, wrong or indifferent. If it wasn't I'd suggest Big Canada.

Big Canada. I like that.