PDA

View Full Version : Zags sweep #11 ranked Cal-Irvine

HillBillyZag
03-27-2011, 10:09 PM
4-1 , 3-0, 3-0 , the finale on Sunday afternoon being the second complete game and first shutout pitched by freshman Marco Gonzales, giving up only four hits , striking out six and walking only a pair . The win is the 9th straight for the streaking Zags who held the 11th ranked AntEaters scoreless for 26 innings during the three game sweep . The Bulldogs now stand at 13-7-1 for the season and are off to a 3-0 home start. The hitting thus far has been lead by Billy Moon , .375 , 1 homer and 13 rbi's , and an obp of .423 and Royce Bolinger , .348 , 1 dinger and 13 rbi's . This is a young but rapidly improving baseball team . The lads go to Pullman tomorrow the 28th for a single game against the WSU Cougs , and then open a three game home series at the Patterson Baseball Complex on 4/1 vs the Lobos of New Mexico . That game has a 6:00 PM start , with the next two starting at 1:00 PM PDST. You guys had all better join HBZ and get down here to see the best kept secret in Zag sports . These young men are flat GOOD !, and I can see a trip to Omaha in their near future .

kitzbuel
03-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Thx, HBZ.

HillBillyZag
03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for noticing Kitz. Wish you could make it in for a series . Patterson Complex is as nice an intercollegiate ball yard as there is in the Country . Comfortable seats with arm rests , nice sized shaded section for us old geezers , and a neat grassy knoll where many of the kids sit on blankets and watch . The concessions are good , the grass is green and those of us who
lack whatever it takes to get season tickets for mens hoops can mix and mingle with our heros and heroines . Many of the other athletes attend , some are fans . CV , was there a lot , with a smile and cheery wave for all who spoke to her . It's sort of a come together place for the students , young families , and us oldsters , and I love it . I'll try and keep getting the word out as much as I can and glad you enjoy it .

kitzbuel
04-01-2011, 06:13 PM
The best part about the old field was you could park just up above the field. We used to pull up a pickup with a keg in the back and hang out on the bank above the third base line.

HillBillyZag
04-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Another great game tonight . Zags shut out New Mexico 3-0 . Good pitching the Zags got 2 in the 1st and I in the 3rd , anf\d from then it was goose eggs the rest of the way for both mound corps . From what I have seen so far this Zag team lacks much power , but has ome good contact hitters , enough speed to steal a few bases and several line drive hitters . So far it's the pitching thats carried the day while the offense plays small ball . Game was so good I di'nt get cold, but my two granddaughters got pretty chilly . All in all it was a good time.

HillBillyZag
04-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Saturday the Zags blew the Lobo's away 17-4 while having two five run innings. Lots of fosh & soph talent on this squad , I kid you not , get ready for a trip to Omaha within the next two years or sooner !

HillBillyZag
04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Zags finish the sweep of New Mexico today 6-2 . Freshman Pitcher Marco Gonzales 4-2 , goes the distance for his third complete game , 8 K's , 6 hits, 2 runs . Gonzaga has won 17 of their last 20 . Get down to Patterson , folks . It's the real deal ! Go Bulldogs !!