PDA

View Full Version : 4 Months Later They Meet Again

Section 116
03-27-2011, 08:19 PM
GU-Stanford battled in November at the MAC, now they meet at the Spokane Veteran's Arena for a berth in the Final Four:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=6264166

DixieZag
03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Forgive me father for I sinned - - I did not see that game. Is Stanford beatable? I know that anything is possible, but are we talking about needing a miracle or just a great effort?

rawkmandale
03-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Kewl article and nice interview with Katelan.

bigblahla
03-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Forgive me father for I sinned - - I did not see that game. Is Stanford beatable? I know that anything is possible, but are we talking about needing a miracle or just a great effort?

Yes they are.

Mrs.blahla and I were at the first game and truthfully the girls never got with it until the second half. We didn't play that good yet we tied the game up with a little over 5 minutes to go. If we play anywhere close to our season averages or give the effort shown in the Iowa or UCLA games we will be headed to Indianapolis.

Stanford is bigger and very very good but they will have to beat the Lady Zags and I think that tonight history will be made at the Spokane arena and GU will have it's First Final four team ever.

Go!! Lady Zags!!!

Cavebear33
03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
This will be a tough one. Gonzaga is now in the rarefied atmosphere of college ball usually only occupied by, as the name suggests, the elite teams. Every one of the other seven teams is a one or two seed, while the Zags come in as a eleven, lowest seed ever for an elite eight. We all know they were seeded low, and their play to date has proven that. They were competitive with Stanford in their first meeting, and I have every reason to believe they will be again. Best of luck to the team, and here's hoping a Tennessee, Baylor or Connecticut is in their future.

MDABE80
03-28-2011, 08:56 AM
Cave's right. It's just as difficult for the women to get to a FF as it would be for the men.
It'll be a grind it out game tonight. Stanford has some large bouncy players who shoot and rebound. I think it'll be a "grind it out" affiar. They don't want us to run. We want to.
If they control the boards, this could be a long night for our women.

Somehow, every shot must count for us. They're not a lumbering group. They can run as well. How Graves solves this one is unclear.

Rarified air indeed. Love to see the girl pull this one off. It would mean soooooo much to a deserving group and the university.

Oregonzagnut
03-28-2011, 09:04 AM
I always thought I would be hearing "Elite 8" for the mens team next.

Awesome.

U Zig, I Zag
03-28-2011, 03:43 PM
I 150% believe that what these ladies are doing right now is harder than what the comparable men's teams would be doing. There is *barely* any parity in the woman's game. It's 1-5 teams, some middle of the pack (GU) and then the bottom feeders (most teams). It's very tough to field a winning team when most of the great players go to the same teams year after year.

This year is special, CV is special, and that might be enough. I wouldn't be surprised by a win, not at all - but I wouldn't be disappointed with a loss. They have come SO FAR - it's crazy.

The last couple years were the build up, this is the the start of the show now. GU could easily become one of those top tier teams if they can land that one or two super-recruits out there. Most women's games are not on TV, if GU can some how get the games on TV - even locally, that will help.

If tonight ends with a win, it will be the biggest GU BBall win ever.