PDA

View Full Version : Vandersloot conjures up images of Stiles

Section 116
03-25-2011, 08:42 PM
If you're old enough you know who Stiles is, either way this is a great read. I was among those fortunate enough to watch Jackie Stiles lead Missouri St. (back then it was known as Southwest Missouri St.) to upset wins over Duke and Washington 10 years ago at the Spokane Arena. How sweet would it be if history repeated itself with Vanderlsoot and the the GU women:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=6259464

gamagin
03-25-2011, 09:01 PM
If you're old enough you know who Stiles is, either way this is a great read. I was among those fortunate enough to watch Jackie Stiles lead Missouri St. (back then it was known as Southwest Missouri St.) to upset wins over Duke and Washington 10 years ago at the Spokane Arena. How sweet would it be if history repeated itself with Vanderlsoot and the the GU women:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=6259464

is compared with some of the best. She has earned it. And deserves all the accolades and comparisons. I just hope she finishes the way she has played for four years at GU.

In any event, we are all witnessing the best, most successful, and accomplished Ladies p.g. this school has ever seen & perhaps ever will.

lothar98zag
03-25-2011, 09:10 PM
The most unbelievable part is that the JS stuff was 10 yrs ago. wow.

sylean
03-25-2011, 09:46 PM
I brought this up a few days ago...if a "remote" (using a word about Spokane from the Iowa boards) like Southwest Missouri State can get to the final four
by playing Toledo, Rutgers,Duke and Washington all far from their home court, our gals can too...

I happen to have been in contact for several years with a gentleman who sent me many tapes of Jackie Stiles and I watched her here in Spokane and in Portland ( with the fire)....she indeed was a terrific player...aggressive, confident, etc..

but I'll tell you what....Courtney Vandersloot is really the much more complete player......I can't get over the fact that she has so many steals, and she rebounds as well....and I'll bet she usually is one of the smaller people on the court....and then for her to be a scorer and a playmaker, she just is a unbelievably good player...