PDA

View Full Version : UW Crazy Not to Look at Graves

Section 116
03-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Bud Withers in the Seattle Times:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2014602028_withers26.html

I would hope Coach Graves is just like Coach Few. The grass in not always greener on the other side!

gamagin
03-25-2011, 08:42 PM
is a rather tight-knit family on coach's wife's side of the family, as far as I know.

I know several of them from way back and keep running in to them at lady zag games, their kids' games (w/my grandkids) and so forth.

So they, like Few, have a nice life in Spokaloo, basketball aside. Or more properly put, their basketball lives included.

Don't know if a few more sheckles would offset la dolce vita he currently seems to enjoy in Spokane.

Hoopaholic
03-26-2011, 09:05 AM
not sure what the "upside" to taking over UW program would be other than some extra coins in the pocket

1. He already is making the NCAA tournament on consistent basis
2. He is already taking all the prized top notched horses in the state for his program
3. He already has the ability to spot pick high profile recruits to fill in the shortcomings created by #2
4. He is consistently at the top of his conference
5.He has the "stock" on his team now to go deep into the tournament for next few years

The only thing I see would be if he wants more money---but it costs more money to live over there

adoptedzag
03-26-2011, 09:24 AM
Don't forget the reason he moved here in the first place:

His wife's family is here. It would take a LOT of money to move coach graves anywhere.

Zaglaw
03-26-2011, 09:41 AM
As with the men's program, I just don't see how UW is a better job. A few more $$, yes, but higher cost of living. Probably more commuting = less time with family. Family time is clearly important to Kelly. And way more booster interference at UW. I just don't see him leaving for a mediocre Pac-12 program.

MDABE80
03-26-2011, 10:57 AM
He's done a sterling job in Spokane..but "they don't play anybody" !!!! "We can give him more money!!!".... I wonder if they're unhappy he's beatting them yearly. Buying out the opposition is skanky. Oh well, UW tried it with Few.lol..
Seems like the same old movie.

Oldsport
03-26-2011, 12:18 PM
"...best way for the WCC Women's Program to improve is to get Coach Graves in a different conference..."

Oooooooooooo! :horse:

Zag 77
03-26-2011, 02:12 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2014602028_withers26.html

Repeating a sentiment that Steve Kelley had in the Seattle Times a week ago.

It was interesting to see that Kelly was raised Mormon and spent time as a missionary in Chile. No doubt that probably did have some impact in making him a better recruiter. He certainly has a lot of charisma.

It was no surprise that success would make Kelly pop up on the radar screens of bigger schools. However, he did turn down Oregon State a few years ago. Hopefully he has the same mind set as Few.

DixieZag
03-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Every reason that kept Few here, now applies to Kelly - and, as Roth said, they have learned their lesson, the UW may offer more, but not much more, I guarantee that GU will up his amount enough to make the money difference less of a factor.

I think he would be crazy to go to the UW - Gonzaga is a small enough community that the coaches personality becomes the programs personality, if he went to the other side of the mountains, I am not sure that translates at a school with 40,000 students.

One other thing; I can almost guarantee that next year the attendance figures jump - having the girls playing in the arena - after two earth shaking home performances will have a lasting effect. I would not be surprised if their season ticket sales go up 50% - double. Especially if they win in a couple of hours.:pray:

lothar98zag
03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
In WBB there's a handful of non-BCS schools that have been really good for a extended periods of time - in regular season & NCAAs - regardless of the conf they're in. UW-Green Bay comes to mind. If KG stays, there's no reason why GU couldn't join that group.

U Zig, I Zag
03-26-2011, 05:54 PM
Coach Graves, give Coach Monson a call, ask him how it's all going...

He will stay here, the school will find a way to reward him. He has some good kids coming in.

Zag 77
03-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Kelly's kids are in HS and grade school. He can easily see them play frequently. Like Mark Few, being able to do that must be a factor. If you live in the Seattle or its suburbs, it takes forever to get anywhere, especially if you have to take a freeway.