• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag365
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Gus Johnson - the Jesuit connection

Just say "The Runner" to a Gonzaga fan and we immediately think of Gus Johnson. What I found out today through my alumni news from U. of D. High (the Jesuit h.s. in Detroit a/k/a "The High" -- and proud alma mater of Jordan Morgan, well-known to GUB readers) is that Gus Johnson is also a UDHS alum. Class of '85. They posted a recent NYT article on Gus' career. Interesting read.

There is a link to his top 10 calls. I didn't realize so many involved the Zags.

"The runner!"

This might be Johnson's most famous call, and as is often the case with Gus, it involved Gonzaga. Fully half of the calls on this list involve Gonzaga. Hey, I'm not a conspiracy theorist; I just put the facts out there.

It's a conspiracy.
  • lothar98zag
    PostPadder General
    • Feb 2007

I believe #10 on the list was the 1st NCAA tourney game he called. It's like the hoop gods knew what his destiny was... ...or something.

& as an fyi - Zag fans can stop @ #2. no need to scroll down to #1.
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

Comment

• FuManShoes
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Gus' call of The Runner will always have a special place in my heart but his shtick is getting kinda old. I mean, not every moment of a game - even in the Tourney - needs to be called like it's the waning seconds.
      “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

I just viewed the UCLA mess for 4 years ago. THAT was a spectacular team. WIsh we could have that team this year. We'd still be playing.

Gus gives a very very good call. Not my fav......but he's up there.

Comment

• zagporvida
          Kennel Club Material
          • Jul 2007

I just watched the list and even though it has some bad memories the mashup at the end is pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
          X