PDA

View Full Version : Grant Gibbs or Rotnei Clarke

Unbiased
06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
After watching the video of Rotnei Clarke on another thread he reminds me a lot of Derek Raivio, even a similiar stroke on his long jumper. However, he looks to be about 5'11 and not terribly quick or a great leaper. I realize if all the big majors are after him "he must be good" theme but I have my doubts.

The bugaboo with the Zags for the past few years has been perimeter defense. Grant Gibbs, if all that is said about him is true, is 6'4" or close to 6"5". His potential to be a better defender is readily apparent.

I vote for Gibbs.

RebornZag
06-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Clarke doesn't remind me of Raivio at all (accept both are very good shooters). I sense he's more verbal, and more intense. He strikes me of being more of a leader then Drav was. I see more of Santangelo and Dickau in him. My vote is for Clarke. The video helped in my decision making a lot. I think Clarke has Zag written all over him. I think he would bring just a little more excitement and charisma to the team than Gibbs. I like excitement. I just think Clarke has that all over him. He's what I call a Sparkplug. Yes...Like Pendo....

I must admit that I have NOT seeing a video of Gibbs. I'd like to before casting my final vote because Gibbs certainly is getting a lot of attention lately. It's kind of like asking, "Who do I like better, Santangelo (or Dickau) or Stepp? My fav point guard of all time is Matt Santangelo, and then Dan Dickau. If I see Matt & Dan in Clarke, I have to go with him.

lothar98zag
06-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Grant Gibbs or Rotnei Clarke?

Either...

...or maybe both...

HillBillyZag
06-20-2007, 12:37 PM
But I have to go with Grant. Iowa is prime hoops country and I love that old Midwestern work ethic. Besides Grant looks like Dickeau with a buzz cut.

spudzag
06-20-2007, 01:06 PM
Getting cute wating for Clarke and then missing them both would be the biggest crime. I personally think we are splitting hairs. Both Grant or Clarke would be a great get.

sonuvazag
06-20-2007, 01:06 PM
There is at Top 100 National Recruit with Gonzaga posters on his bedroom walls that we might not offer to go after Clarke soley... I believe Clarke must be very good (no youtube at work,) but I would still offer Gibbs if/when he visits... good luck Few.

BobZag
06-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Raivio was 140 lbs dripping wet when he arrived at GU. Clarke is a solid 175 lbs with room to grow. Clarke is 6'0". Dickau was 6'1", about 175 max. Raivio was 6'3" max.

Work ethic. Clarke has a mind-boggling work ethic.

VaBeachZAG
06-20-2007, 02:57 PM
The huge dilemma facing GU is that by waiting for Clarke, we probably lose any chance of getting Gibbs. If GU doesn't offer Gibbs others on this board have expressed the view he will immediately verbal with another school (I agree). Thus, if our subsequent efforts with Clarke come up dry, we lose all the way around (it looks like Theodore may verbal with Seton Hall soon). My gut tells me the way to go is to offer Gibbs and the first to accept gets the Scholie. Clarke was offered but apparently has given no clear indication of leaning toward GU over other competing heavyweights (e.g., Oklahoma, Kansas, etc.). Reality check: A kid who has grown up in Oklahoma is going to have a strong pull toward such storied programs in the region. Really, what are our chances for Clarke???

RebornZag
06-20-2007, 03:27 PM
After taking a nap and thinking more about this topic I have a few additional thoughts.

I just finished reading Lute Olson's Autobiography. I think I learned a lot more about the importance of recruiting, and how difficult it is to get a recruit that you're after. I think it would be fair to say that the success Lute has had at Arizona could be attributed to his success in recruiting. Amazingly, the assistant coaches have a GREAT deal to do with the success. It was truly an eye opener for me to realize how much time these men put into recruiting. I had heard the term "Recruiting Wars" often, but it just didn't register with me until I read that book.

The other surprise was seeing how often, even someone like Lute Olson, a coach does not get the young man that they work so hard to get. It really was neat to see how well they get to know a recruit and his family.

I am learning through BZ's post mostly, how hard GU is working at getting Clarke, and how badly they want him. But I believe, after reading that book, that it would be a big mistake to not have a plan B. I honestly believe that our chances of getting Clarke are not good, and I believe that even after reading Bob's wonderful, and well thought out post on why he believes that GU does have a chance to get Clarke. The one thing that I see that is missing when I read about Clarke is that he has a deep desire to be a Zag. I just don't see it. Bob sees and understands how great a fit it would be (and I agree). But does Clarke? Bob says he does. I HOPE he's right.

We see clearly how badly Gibbs wants to come to Gonzaga. I think it would be fair to say that Few could get Gibbs if he really wanted him. The question then, must be, "Is Gibbs really what Few is looking for?" I have my doubts about that. We seem to see why Gibbs is Zag material, but do any of us know what Few wants? Or do we understand what he is after as he continues to build toward making it to the Final Four? Personally, I'd say, "Offer Gibbs now and get a verbal committment." As Bob has said, Few has offered Clarke. Well, apparantly, Few is not that hot to get Gibbs signed.

So, I guess that I believe that what Bob is saying may be how Few is thinking. We either get Clarke or we don't offer to a point guard in '08. I think BZ is insightful when he sees that Few has had some very good success at getting guys he goes after 100% (Bouldin and Daye). I truly wish Few and his staff the best of luck getting Clarke. I do agree that he's Zag material, and as I said earlier, I think he could be a very big piece of THE PUZZLE (the one that says FINAL FOUR) on it. Here's to making it 3 years in a row that we get the guy we are after (Clarke). :cheers:

tyra
06-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Anyone old enough to remember Bill Bradley before he was a US Senator and who read one of the books about him -- I think it was called "A Sense of Where You Are" -- would liken Rotnei to him. Bradley was totally OC about shooting practice, once telling the local maintenance guy in a visiting gym that the rim was 1/4 inch off (and yep, he was right). Clarke has the same kind of obsessive practice discipline that Bradley had. Different player altogether; same other- worldly focus.

Unbiased
06-20-2007, 05:11 PM
You failed to mention one important fact - Bradley was 6'5to 6'6" tall - quite a difference in a players ability to get off a shot or defend.

jigga5
06-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Clarke has bust written all over him. Get over the kid, yes he can shoot but he has to be the most unathletic player I have ever seen.

MickMick
06-20-2007, 08:07 PM
Offer both Clarke and Gibbs, then take the first one who commits....a no-lose situation. In that scenario the result is likely Gibbs. He will be a fine player for Gonzaga. Then comes that potential jaw-dropping 2009 class. We need a great season to make that 2009 class look long and hard at GU.

zagster318
06-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Offer both Clarke and Gibbs, then take the first one who commits....a no-lose situation. In that scenario the result is likely Gibbs. He will be a fine player for Gonzaga. Then comes that potential jaw-dropping 2009 class. We need a great season to make that 2009 class look long and hard at GU.

It's too bad most of them will probably commit before the 2008-2009 season, since the Zags should be preseason top 5 (assuming everyone stays).

MickMick
06-21-2007, 04:41 PM
It's too bad most of them will probably commit before the 2008-2009 season, since the Zags should be preseason top 5 (assuming everyone stays).

See CDC's thread about how reliable verbals have become;)

BobZag
06-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I know it's Premium, and that's a bummer, but the video clips of Rotnei on Rivals show me one very special player in the future, and a perfect fit for Gonzaga. Very Dickau-esque.

jigga5
06-21-2007, 08:33 PM
I know it's Premium, and that's a bummer, but the video clips of Rotnei on Rivals show me one very special player in the future, and a perfect fit for Gonzaga. Very Dickau-esque.

It would be good if we could get a dickau type guard however, Rotnei is not nearly close to dickau in SPEED. Dickau was a blaze on the court and could get past any defender. Even Raivio was quick. You referenced the steve nash in another thread facing critiscm but people fail to realize how fast/quick nash is. He regularly blows by defenders like Bruce Bowen and other elites. If he was slow he would not have lasted in the NBA, however people just think he is slow because he is White. But I honestly dont see rotnei truly living up to his potential unless he improves his quickness/explosiveness, sure he may be a bomber but I feel thats all he will be in college.

sonuvazag
06-22-2007, 06:44 AM
i've got two words for you, jigga5: strength training.

NJZag
06-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Thus, if our subsequent efforts with Clarke come up dry, we lose all the way around (it looks like Theodore may verbal with Seton Hall soon).

Sure looks like SHU's pitch is winning him over.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/959/503488.jpg

Pirates will have a new home court closer to campus this season, also.

Zag509
06-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Dont know if its been said (swore i heard it on this site) but if you dont have Premium Rivals there is a Clarke video on Youtube worth a watch. Just seach his name.

MBZags
06-22-2007, 09:08 AM
One person commenting on that YouTube video says that Clarke has really been looking into Gonzaga lately. And a few others think Clarke will end up at Gonzaga. Pure speculation, sure, but it's good to hear.