PDA

View Full Version : You might like this: Matt Bouldin feature

soonerterp
02-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_5199278)

After Gonzaga routs the tiny Waves,Gonzaga's mastermind, Mark Few, is standing in a rudimentary locker room with his tie off. In eight years he has turned Gonzaga into a place that can land national-caliber recruits such as Bouldin.

"He's as good as any freshman we've ever had," Few says. "The problem is we've had to lean on him. We've counted on him a lot."

In an odd twist, Bouldin didn't start his first year at powerhouse ThunderRidge.

At Gonzaga, he's been thrown to the wolves. And Huskies. And Tar Heels. He played 23 minutes in his debut. He was starting by Game 11. He scored 14 points in an upset of Carolina and had 21 in a rout of Washington.

Entering weekend play, the 6-foot-5 guard was averaging 8.1 points and 26.8 minutes while shooting 42 percent, including 36 percent from 3-point range. He's twice been named conference player of the week. Not bad considering he weathered an 0-for-17 3-point drought and Gonzaga (17-8, 7-2 WCC) played the nation's toughest nonconference schedule, facing eight ranked teams.

All of which the Highlands Ranch native greeted with an amused yawn.

"He's cool, calm and collected," Gonzaga junior David Pendergraft says. "He doesn't get rattled. We make fun of him because we can see him sitting up in the aspens, sipping on cocoa, reading his book next to a fire."

He chose Gonzaga over Notre Dame and California, saying he liked how Few developed multidimensional guards such as Blake Stepp and current star Derek Raivio. Bouldin can shoot, rebound, pass - and sing. Yes, before Bouldin tore up Denver-area high school gyms, he was tearing up fans in pro sports venues with his renditions of the national anthem as a grade-schooler. He even cut a CD.

"I was actually going to pursue that as a career," he says. "But it was too much. I was going to baseball, basketball and singing all in the same day."

Of course, that tidbit didn't escape Few. At one practice before Christmas, he announced they'd play carols over the loudspeaker during stretches.

"At first I thought, this is cool because I like Christmas carols," Bouldin says.

Then, blaring out of the loudspeaker came Matt Bouldin, in fourth grade, singing "The First Noel."

The rookie had been initiated.

More at the above link. Sorry if already posted.

TheBeast
02-11-2007, 08:58 AM
I am not one for using Internet abbreviations, but I didn't know about the singing. That's awesome!
Thanks for posting this!

sanfranzagsguy20
02-11-2007, 09:12 AM
that was a great article thanks sooner

ZagPants
02-11-2007, 09:16 AM
I am not one for using Internet abbreviations, but I didn't know about the singing. That's awesome!
Thanks for posting this!

I laughed out loud!