PDA

View Full Version : Will GU ever have a better backcourt?

BobZag
06-20-2007, 10:04 AM
Some of it is "on paper" but--

PG 6'1" Jeremy Pargo (All-Chicago)
CG 6'5" Matt Bouldin (CO Mr. Basketball)
W 6'8" Micah Downs (Burger boy)
SG 6'4" Steven Gray (WA Mr. Basketball)
W 6'9" Austin Daye (top-25)
W 6'6" Pendo (WA Mr. Basketball)
W 6'4" Ira!

How does Few better that backcourt? Here is what the next Zags backcourt generation could look like, in a near-ideal scenario--

SG 6'4" Steven Gray
W 6'9" Austin Daye
CG 6'0" Rotnei Clarke
PG 6'5" Abdul Gaddy
SG 6'3" Avery Bradley or 6'2" Jered Cunningham
W 6'8" Victor Rudd

Both hold some serious promise but I like the bulky size of Pargo and Bouldin (reminds me of a BCS football backfield) in that first group.

cggonzaga
06-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Hopefully, but that will be tough to beat.

GonzagaGurl08
06-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Holy $#!!. That is one amazing present backcourt. The future one looks great too. What a great time to be following the Zags!!!

MickMick
06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I'll take Santangelo and Frahm for now. I don't believe that backcourt has been topped yet.

What is the best trio to take the floor?

Calvary/Frahm/Santangelo?
Dickau/Stepp/Violette?
Morrison/Batista/Ravio?

Will Daye/Gray/Sacre top them?

FuManShoes
06-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Thinking about a Bouldin, Pargo, Downs and Gray backcourt gets me giddy. I assume Pargo has been working on his shot. It was improved last year, and he showed me enough against Stanford and others to think he's ready to be a leader through thick and thin. Watching Deron Williams put on a show for the Nugs in the playoffs reminded me of the skills and size that Bouldin brings to his position. The kid (the Zag, that is) is smooth, smart and immensly talented. The passing is already there, the shot will improve, as will his knowledge of the game. He's gonna be something very special for the Zags. Downs has already shown some fire and humilitay at GU - traits he was accused of not posessing. He'll need to learn when to take over and when to give it up to a teammate, but his range and length are skills that will put opponents at a disadvantage from the get-go. Those three will be in the NBA in a year or two. Scary. Add Gray, who looks like one cool customer who can drain a jumper and make an outlet pass. I think he'll be an impact guy this year, but will have to learn his role, work on his body and become more intense - kinda comes with the territory for a freshman.

And don't even get me started about the bigs!

No pressure guys, no pressure at all

jazzdelmar
06-21-2007, 06:47 AM
I too will take Richie and Matt as #1, with Blake and DD close behind............or maybe DD alone (lol)

Nevtelen
06-21-2007, 07:41 AM
On paper, this is, at this point in their careers, probably our best backcourt to date. But they have a ways to go to be as good as Dickau/Stepp were. And as far as accomplishment (where it really matters), Frahm/Santangelo have every Zag backcourt beat still.

But... give this backcourt a year or two and I'm pretty confident they'll be up there. They very well might be remembered as the best GU backcourt ever. I guess we'll find out over the next couple of seasons.

mdZag23
06-21-2007, 08:15 AM
This years backcourt is POTENTIALLY the best we've had. I will say that it is the deepest, no question, but....

the 07 version of the Zags has to do a much better job of taking care of the basketball and they have to shoot it at a much higher percentage before we start talking about the best ever.

Don't forget that the Frahm, Santangelo backcourt had Q Hall to add to that group.

However, when it is all said and done, this one might be really tough to beat.

former1dog
06-21-2007, 08:50 AM
This years backcourt is POTENTIALLY the best we've had. I will say that it is the deepest, no question, but....

the 07 version of the Zags has to do a much better job of taking care of the basketball and they have to shoot it at a much higher percentage before we start talking about the best ever.

Don't forget that the Frahm, Santangelo backcourt had Q Hall to add to that group.

However, when it is all said and done, this one might be really tough to beat.

I agree completely.

cggonzaga
06-21-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm looking at this to be depth. We are seven equally talented deep! That is amazing at any University. Yes I agree we've had duos and even some trios that have been great but never seven who all could be better than those before them. It is pretty amazing.