PDA

View Full Version : Spokesman-Review: Vandersloot, Standish lead GU past Iowa

TerpZag
03-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Vandersloot, Standish lead GU past Iowa

March 19, 2011

By Dave Trimmer The Spokesman-Review

For those who wondered what the Gonzaga women’s basketball team would do when faced with meaningful possessions down the stretch of a close game, the answer was revealed Saturday afternoon – give the ball to Courtney Vandersloot or Kayla Standish and get out of the way.

With that duo taking turns making critical baskets, 11th-seeded Gonzaga edged six-seeded Iowa 92-86 Saturday afternoon in the first round of the NCAA women’s basketball Tournament before sellout crowd of 5,632 delirious fans at McCarthey Athletic Center.

In a game for the ages, Vandersloot scored 34 points and Standish 30, both career highs. Of their combined 64 points, 40 came in the second half as the Bulldogs overcame a 44-37 deficit to win a tournament game for the third straight year.

“We couldn’t do anything to stop Standish, she was excellent,” Iowa coach Lisa Bluder said. “And Vandersloot, obviously, another great game for her. She’s terrific. It will be fun to watch her at the next level.”

Vandersloot had seven assists and made all 11 of her free throws, including six in the final minute.

“We had to execute in the half court for a good portion of that second half and we did,” Gonzaga coach Kelly Graves said. “It’s something we work on every day even though we haven’t had the opportunity for a couple months in a game to really have to make a play or make a stop.”

“This I’m sure will give the team confidence that we can do it.”

The 20th-ranked Bulldogs (29-4) take a 19-game winning streak into Monday’s 6:30 game against third-seed and eighth-ranked UCLA (28-4), which ground out a 55-47 win over 14th-seeded Montana....

Spokesman-Review Link (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/mar/19/vandersloot-standish-lead-gu-past-iowa/)

Plus, Spokesman-Review Link to 33 great game photos (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/mar/19/vandersloot-standish-lead-gu-past-iowa/?photos)

TerpZag
03-19-2011, 08:35 PM
NCAA women’s notebook: Graves praises GU stars

Kelly Graves insists he is out of words to describe his sensational point guard, Courtney Vandersloot.

The Gonzaga coach came through in the clutch Saturday after Vandersloot scored a career-high 34 points to go with 30 from Kayla Standish to carry Gonzaga to a 92-86 win over visiting Iowa in the first round of the NCAA women’s basketball tournament.

“What else can you say?” Graves asked. “We see this game in and game out and she got to show the rest of the nation today a lot more about Courtney Vandersloot. She kind of showed it all tonight – the tremendous passes, the perimeter game, the driving to the basket, tough shots, and then the composure to hit free throws. Everybody got to see how great Courtney is.”

Now Graves has another star in the show in Standish, a 6-foot-3 junior who hit 15 of 20 shots, including 11 of 12 in the second half as the 11th-seeded Zags rallied from seven points down to defeat the sixth-seeded Hawkeyes.

“Kayla’s one of those players that once she gets it going, she’s difficult to defend because she’s got the perimeter part of her game,” Graves said. “We were running a lot of stuff for her and she’s a rhythm player. Once she got that rhythm going, it helped.

“Quite frankly, she couldn’t score (in the first half) because she was on the bench with fouls, so to have her out there, it goes to show you what a different team we are. It was mainly on her. She was just aggressive.”...

...Uncharted territory

Vandersloot made national headlines a month ago when she became the fourth woman to surpass 1,000 assists and then another count down began – the quest to reach 2,000 points, which would make her the first in NCAA history with those two milestones.

After her performance against Iowa she is 10 points from 2,000, a fact which escaped her.

“It doesn’t mean as much as the win,” she said. “My team needed a few of us to step up tonight and we were able to do that. If I score zero points, it doesn’t matter as long as we win.”...

Spokesman-Review Link (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/mar/19/graves-praises-gu-stars/)

Section 116
03-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Here's a great write up from Hawk Central at the Des Moines Register. Interesting to me Jaime Printy, the sophomore who dropped 25 points on the Zags is from the same high school as Grant Gibbs, the one time Zag who transferred to Creighton. Glowing comments from the Iowa coach about the Zags, the MAC, and the crowd. Incidentally Printy has a brother who played for Indiana St in the men's NCAA's. Indiana St is of course where Larry Bird played. Here's the link:

http://hawkcentral.com/2011/03/19/nail-biter-does-not-fall-for-hawks/

FabZagulous
03-19-2011, 09:54 PM
Great Game Girls!!! Looking forward to Monday!! GO ZAGS!!!

adoptedzag
03-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Monday is going to be very interesting with the contrast of styles. I think first one to 65 wins.

Bogozags
03-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Spokesman-Review Link (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/mar/19/vandersloot-standish-lead-gu-past-iowa/)

Plus, Spokesman-Review Link to 33 great game photos (http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/mar/19/vandersloot-standish-lead-gu-past-iowa/?photos)

Thanks TZ...Great Article!

Any idea on what DirectTV channel the game will be shown?

abarefootboy
03-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Wowser ... I'm in love with everyone of you girls .. Go Zags !!!

BobZag
03-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Saw Dave Trimmer and Greg Lee sitting courtside. They did an excellent job for the S-R's coverage. Kudos to them.

U Zig, I Zag
03-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Monday is going to be very interesting with the contrast of styles. I think first one to 65 wins.

My prediction, talking with some people, is that if the Zags get to 74/75 or so they will win.

One key is that UCLA's killer D is a halfcourt thing. They may press weaker teams but CV will score 10 points on FT's alone in the first 5 mins if they try FCP from the get go.

Run, girls, run!