PDA

View Full Version : What'd we learn this season?

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Last month I acted as a chaperone on my nephew's field trip to the Exploratorium. After spending an afternoon remembering just how much I forgot about basic, grade-school science while we went through the different exhibits are the museum, the teacher initiated a class discussion on the bus ride home that was centered around one basic yet very thoughtful question: "What did we learn on our trip?"

So as we sit here tonight on our bus ride home from the 2010-11 season, I pose the same question to my classmates here on GUBs: What did we learn this season?

I'll start it off...

1. We shouldn't give up so quickly on JUCO transfers. The transition from JUCO ball to high-level D1 hoops is difficult, and it can take time for a player to adjust and flourish thereafter.

2. We shouldn't discount walk-ons. They obviously have some ability, or else they wouldn't be wearing a uniform.

NEC26
03-19-2011, 08:12 PM
I didn't learn it but it was certainly reinforced. You can have the best big men in the world but if you don't have elite guards its tough to win in the tournament. Love our team but if we are honest we simply did not have the makeup to make a deep run.

DixieZag
03-19-2011, 08:21 PM
I didn't learn it but it was certainly reinforced. You can have the best big men in the world but if you don't have elite guards its tough to win in the tournament. Love our team but if we are honest we simply did not have the makeup to make a deep run.

I don't think that is quite fair. BYU hit half their 3s tonight, and took way more than 20 - they had 9 in the first half. Most of the first half ones there were guys in their faces. Our game plan was to get inside (and did) and get there guys in foul trouble - there were lots of baskets that could have been called "and ones" - but were not. Our guards - while not "elite" I grant you, certainly looked more than capable Thursday night. The combo of feeding it inside and not getting rewarded - while having shots rain down over you can make it pretty tough to have a good game.

It was just the worst of all match-ups for us tonght - the WORST.

And some guard help is on the way, from what I hear!

bballbeachbum
03-19-2011, 08:26 PM
can't have a chance against a stud like Jimmer Freddette with your best defender saddled on the bench with bad breath fouls

BYU must be awesome. they took the team that Coach Lavin heaped all that praise on--what was all that "best he'd seen" stuff he said about GU after Thursday...and even after all of his Big East battles he'd been thru? funny game

RenoZag
03-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Don't get involved in a land war in Asia ?

Oregonzagnut
03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Don't get involved in a land war in Asia ?

but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"!

Or Courtney Vandersloot when the game is on the line!!

NovaZag
03-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I didn't learn anything. College basketball is crazy-- I already knew that.

Rio Runner
03-19-2011, 10:19 PM
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."

Coach Finstock -- Teen Wolf

http://thomasrowley.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/teen_wolf_1.jpg

MJ777
03-20-2011, 12:28 AM
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."

Coach Finstock -- Teen Wolf

http://thomasrowley.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/teen_wolf_1.jpg

Funny stuff. Love Teen Wolf. Delavadova reminds me of the Wolf the way he runs the court.

Zag365
03-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Never play cards with a man named "Doc"; never eat lunch at a place called "Mom's"; and, never ever lay down with a woman that has more troubles than you.

MickMick
03-20-2011, 08:52 AM
What BYU didn't learn.

The WCC and Gonzaga is much better than what they saw.

Ekrub
03-20-2011, 08:57 AM
That 3-pt defense is important.

Bulldog
03-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Always split 8s and aces. Hit if the dealer shows 7 to ace.
Know when to get up and go back to your room.
:fingergun:

Reborn
03-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I learned that Stockton is much, much better than I thought he was.
That Carter is a winner, and is talented. I look forward to seeing him next year.
That Dower is also a great scorer with a lot of potential.

I also learned that Meech has not come around offensively as I had hoped he would. As someone said, to make a deep run in March you need a very good point guard who can run an offense and score some, but pass even better.

Few did not get the outside shooters that he had wanted. Carter did come on at the end of the year, but more will be needed next year.

That Gonzaga ended up to be much younger than I thought they would be. We ended up with three new players playing big roles on this team. Arop was not the player this year that I thought he would be. In the end, I think this inexperience hurt the Zags. A very strong bench during the season was not so effective in the last game.

I think Kelly Olynyk came a long way. I was impressed with his play in the tournament. I think Kelly will be more of a contributer next year. As good as our front court was this year, it will be much better next.

I think the most important time in a basketball game is the first 3 minutes after half time. When the Zags played bad they played bad right after halftime. They lost that game last night in those first few minutes after half.

The Zags are a GREAT foul shooting team. That is a plus going into next year.

NewLookZag
03-20-2011, 11:34 AM
I learned that we still have that same problem in the tournament we've had for several years now.

BobZag
03-20-2011, 11:42 AM
1. Just how important a quality PG is, what a difference they make.

2. College basketball is about guards first, everything else second.

3. A high basketball IQ is invaluable.

gonwick
03-20-2011, 11:45 AM
One tourney exit from teams going off for three is a learning experience. Several begins to suggest a systematic problem. Few mentioned during the presser that people were incorrectly shading off their men to help with Jimmer. I'm not sure if it's a personnel/learning issue or a coaching issue, but this team will never make it deep into March if it can't guard the 3. I was at the game in the BYU section (bad luck scalping, that) and had to sit behind rows of screaming fans as they rained 3's down on us. I guess it didn't matter since we couldn't hit anything from 3.

As an aside, they called nothing on BYU down low. We got mugged while Jimmer got a lot of calls. That's how it seemed during the first half real time. I deleted the recording as soon as I got home, so I don't know if that's how it was in reality. We lost the game, this is no excuse, just how it seemed.

RockandRollJames
03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
You have to guard the three or it can absolutely kill you.

However, I have learned this every season.

NEC26
03-20-2011, 12:16 PM
You have to guard the three or it can absolutely kill you.

However, I have learned this every season.

We left Emery Jackson open for a couple threes but other than that most were very much contested.
The bigger problem was turnovers and just a lack of good decision making. I think we tried too hard to force it inside rather than taking the open three. We had the advantage inside but they were packing the paint. We ended up turning it over and making mistakes while passing up open threes.

ZagLawGrad
03-20-2011, 12:19 PM
I learned to keep my big mouth shut early on in a season. :o

Baseline
03-20-2011, 01:52 PM
I learned that you never really know whats going to happen. You have a nice little plan in your head on how things will go then the first tip-off occurs and the surprises begin, both good and bad. New players emerge and ones you thought would be fantastic would disappoint. Strategies that were valid the previous year no longer make sense this year. The season plays out in a much, much different manner than you anticipate, but its fun a every week there is a surprise.
So know that the season is over I will go about figuring out what the new team will consist of and how they will do. Before the first game I will have it tightly defined with everything in its place, but that first tip-off will change everything once again. Why do I go through this emotional cycle every year - because I love the Zags!