• Show
Clear All
  • dallaszag
    Redshirt
    • Dec 2008

Stat of the night for Zags against BYU

Stockton, Carter and Meech combined

68 minutes, 0-9 from the field. Killer!

Jimmer was lights out. 7-12 from behind the arc, about 5 of those were 2-3 feet behind the line. When he hit the shot with Elias in his face 3 feet behind the arc I knew we were done...BYU would have beaten any team tonight they way they shot the three....the Cougars went 14-28 for the game. Wow! There won't be another game in the tournament with a team shooting that hot.

Good year Zags. We will get more consistent point guard play next year, which will make our bigs even more productive.

Dallas Zag Out.
  • Zag@LMU
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2011

We could have beat St Johns with how we played tonight, and it would have been a big nail biter if we played tonight like we did Thursday. Oh well.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

How'd Carter do?

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

It seemed to me that Carter was hurting b/c he was not quick off the dribble, his passes were not as sharp and he didn't look for his shot at all, he took one three that I remember - and missed, he only drove once or twice, I think his hand hurt pretty bad.

Kinda wish he would not have been in the game in the last 2:00 minutes against SJU; maybe we could have gotten within 10.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• zagfan08
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

One thing I thought was exposed with Carter's game was how he needs a lot of room to get his shot off. BYU was able to give him space in their zone, but close out in time on the catch and Carter wasn't able to shoot. Something I hope he can improve for next year.

Comment

• bballbeachbum
            Zag for Life
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
            One thing I thought was exposed with Carter's game was how he needs a lot of room to get his shot off. BYU was able to give him space in their zone, but close out in time on the catch and Carter wasn't able to shoot. Something I hope he can improve for next year.
            I remember seeing that, thinking that, and thinking he could have squeezed them off anyway. BYU made a point of getting into Marquise early

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

If you ever see the replay, you'll notice one thing, BYU had it figured out to the inch where the 3 pt shooters would NOT go beyond. There were plenty of chances to shoot thress........nothing doin. SOmehow Rose figure out the exact point at which the kids looked to pass instead of shoot. Marquis looked a tentative as he was in the early season. Just wouldn't shoot. Steven too. Steve got a few threes off but not outside that perimeter.
              Not sure how he figured it out ( Rose) but it was just amazing. You'll see it on the replay. Kinda like an invisible barrier was put up. Real obvious though. Best part was that BYU's defender would go exactly just so far and no more. How he figured it out is unclear....it's there though.

Comment

• sullyzag66
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

The biggest stat for me was 3-points attempted and made. Zags were 2-9 and BYU was 14-28. Although it didn't look like it watching the game, everything else was pretty even. Zags had the edge in rebounds and Harris, Sacre, Dower and Olynyk shot 50% or better from the field.

Comment

• dallaszag
                  Redshirt
                  • Dec 2008

Agreed. When you connect on 14 three pointers on 50 percent shooting-you know its gonna be a tough night. Many of the three BYU made were contested and waaayyyyy behind the arc.

Carter finished with 31 minutes, zero points after scoring 24 against St. Johns. Stockton and Meech combined for 1 points total. You just can't win when your 3 points guards combine for one point from that position. Not in the tourney.

Comment

• Hoopaholic
                    • Mar 2008

up to the 10 minute mark of the second half you could COUNT ON ONE HAND the number of times we attacked the gap against BYU zone...a failure to attack the gaps, instead of standing around perimeter trying to pass into post players

secondly, failure to use the hi low option , BYU zone was open mid free throw line area as they really ran a 1-2-2 pushed out to contain the wings from shooting (Carter and Gray) and then doubled down on big boys.....we didnt attack the weakness of their zone (funny because we did JUST this the first few minutes of the game then went away from it)

but it is what it is and was a great year and I thank the team for a fun year
                    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• Reborn
                      Zag for Life
                      • Oct 2007

Gonzaga has had two weaknesses all season: Shooting the 3, and defending the 3. WE played a HOT team last night. You can't beat any team in the tournament when you hit 2 three's. Carter was the difference. Without his outside shooting, and inside as well, we would not have been in the tournament. I forgot about wrist being injured. Wow! Thanks for reminding me. It makes sense.
                      Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• WeSayZed
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by dallaszag View Post
                        Stockton, Carter and Meech combined

68 minutes, 0-9 from the field. Killer!

Jimmer was lights out. 7-12 from behind the arc, about 5 of those were 2-3 feet behind the line. When he hit the shot with Elias in his face 3 feet behind the arc I knew we were done...BYU would have beaten any team tonight they way they shot the three....the Cougars went 14-28 for the game. Wow! There won't be another game in the tournament with a team shooting that hot.

Good year Zags. We will get more consistent point guard play next year, which will make our bigs even more productive.

Dallas Zag Out.
                        Our PG position has been our Achilles-heel all year, and I think it will turn out that Carter was more injured than we knew. The emergence of Carter and Stockton was a big part of our turnaround this year, but Stockton never really got his sea legs under him in the tournament, and I think Carter was limited by injury against BYU.

It was a disappointing game, but I think things still look good for the future. At this point it’s clear that Meech is a role player, but Stockton has shown that he can play, and he has at least some upside yet, and we may well try Carter at PG again next year as well. I actually expect Pangos to redshirt, and I think that would be a good thing for him. Next year will be a year of major change and I think redshirting his basketball season would help him make the transition. With Stockton and/or Carter playing most of the minutes at the PG spot I think we’ll be ok, and some combination of Bell, Manny, Hoff and Keita can handle the 2 and 3, and Carter will probably play some at the 2 as well. We’d only be adding one new player to the rotation, but Carter and Stockton are far ahead of where they were at the beginning of last year, and hopefully Manny, Hoff and Keita will be better next year as well. I expect one or two of them to step up at the very least.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                          Zag for Life
                          • Oct 2008

GU is not a 90 point team and I am of the opinion that turnovers were the issue. Maybe if Carter and Stoxckton hit those open looks early it wouldn't have been so ragged to start. The tough part was 3 turnovers on in think 4 possessions to start the second half. Througout the game we would get a good stop then promptly hand the ball over- frequently on no-calls down low or just boneheaded passes.
                          We played decent defense on Jimmer and forced some tough shots. The BYU supporting cast hit shots early and really played loose and confident, it seemed to me. And they got a lot of free looks.

Comment

• Zag79
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

The biggest stat for me was 3-points attempted and made. Zags were 2-9 and BYU was 14-28.
                            this. we gave up 45 at half and almost 100 in 40 minutes. our guards could have combined for 20 and we still lose. the defense, once again, was rediculous. jimmer got his and i expected that, but the other guys? the guys that could barely beat wofford, came in struggling, and went off on us. once again, another 3 point barrage takes us down. we need to figure out how to slow teams from being unconscious against us from deep, thats the only way we will get over the hump. we have good enough players, good enough coaches, and this bracket was wide open. i love my fellas, my coaching staff, and am so proud of what we accomplish year in and year out. i take nothing for granted, but for once can we not lose to one player going off or a team scorching us from the arc?

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Zag79 View Post
                              this. we gave up 45 at half and almost 100 in 40 minutes. our guards could have combined for 20 and we still lose. the defense, once again, was rediculous. jimmer got his and i expected that, but the other guys? the guys that could barely beat wofford, came in struggling, and went off on us. once again, another 3 point barrage takes us down. we need to figure out how to slow teams from being unconscious against us from deep, thats the only way we will get over the hump. we have good enough players, good enough coaches, and this bracket was wide open. i love my fellas, my coaching staff, and am so proud of what we accomplish year in and year out. i take nothing for granted, but for once can we not lose to one player going off or a team scorching us from the arc?
                              Experience at the guard spot. Not enough of it this year. When you are experienced you can play instinctual and react quicker. We need some people to stick around so we have a reliable core of upperclassmen on the bench.

Comment

Working...
                              X