• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

The Finality hurts, but...

First of all, I give ALL credit to BYU. They brought their A Game on both ends of the court. Jimmer is a difference-maker, and he brought it all. And the supporting cast played great.

The good news for the Zags: Fredette and Emery graduate.
    The bad news for the Zags: They lost tonight and the '10-'11 season ends.
    More good news for the Zags: Rinforcements are coming.

Unfortunately, fans forget that Gonzaga whipped St. John's, a team that embarassed Duke and beat the UConns and Syracuses of the world, finishing 3rd in the Big East.

Fans forget. Human nature, I suppose.

The wins over Florida State, 3rd in ACC last year; Cincinatti, Huggins' final game as the Bearcat coach... They're all forgotten because of losses to #1 Arizona, #1 Syracuse and now the best BYU team in BYU history with the best player in BYU's history (yes, including Danny Ainge), the first Cougar team ever to make the Sweet Sixteen.

Really, what this team did this season was outstanding.

But the pain of Finality hurts. No changing that.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • krozman
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2008

Gonzaga exceeded all expectations, continued the dominance in the league and will be reloading for next year. No reason to be upset.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Comment

• bballbeachbum
      Zag for Life
      • Dec 2008

Congratulations BYU

Comment

• 23dpg
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

What Gonzaga did to St. Johns, BYU did to Gonzaga.
        You are never as good as your best game (Gonzaga thursday, BYU tonight) or as bad as your worst (St. J thursday, GU tonight).

Great season overall.

PS. Is it about the time when the posters start calling for Few's job?
        Birds aren’t real.

Comment

• Pargo the Destroyer
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2008

Nothing bad to say bout this game. Byu was on tonight. Can't wait until next year

Comment

• 2wiceright
            Bleeds GU Blue
            • Dec 2007

Thanks for the perspective BobZag. Congratulations to all our guys- especially Steven Gray. A more exciting season I can't remember (this decade)- save for the last game. You take the good with the bad. And I for one am proud of these guys - all of them. They pulled together when all seemed lost and showed the heart and soul of the Gonzaga Program!

Thanks, Steven, for 4 incredible years as a Zag!

Can't wait for next year already and all the potential with one of (if not 'the') best recruiting classes yet !!!

Go Zags!
            "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
            -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

Comment

• ZagHouse
              Kennel Club
              • Jan 2009

A #3 beat an 11.

Comment

• HillBillyZag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

I'll second all of your words BZ . This Zag team far exceeded my expectations for them . We hav'nt really shut down a great outside shooter all season and the Cougars exposed our achilles heel . Already looking forward to rooting the Zag gals on to further successes now and waiting for the appearance of our incoming recruits . Hope BYU does well the rest of the way , but todays win won't mean a thing when we lace em up with you nex season . Thanks Zags for a successful season and a great win over St.Johns !
                [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
                ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

• Papa K
                  Bulldog Fan
                  • Jan 2011

BYU probably could have beaten any NCAA team tonight. It sure is easy to hate this team now tho. wait till next year.

Comment

• BobZag
                    Dark Lord of the Zag
                    • Jan 2007

And remember, Carter will only be better, Dower will only be better, along with so many other Zags next year. Lots to be excited about, and much to be proud of overall. Some bummers, certainly, but the positives outweigh the negatives, and the final bummer really hurts.
                    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• JAGzag
                      Zag for Life
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by krozman View Post
                      Gonzaga exceeded all expectations, continued the dominance in the league and will be reloading for next year. No reason to be upset.
                      I think if most (true) fans take a step back, this post rings true. We had zero expectations mid way through the season - it was just win games, then beat SMC, then win the title, then win the WCC tourney ... "just to make the tourney."

Then we did all those AND beat a very good Big East team in the first round.

I think it's a great season.

Plus, there's MORE TO COME.

now, who is going to start the "Harris, don't leave thread?"

Comment

• FieldHouseFishHouse
                        Professional Zag Fan
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by BobZag View Post

Unfortunately, fans forget that Gonzaga whipped St. John's, a team that embarassed Duke and beat the UConns and Syracuses of the world, finishing 3rd in the Big East.

The wins over Florida State, 3rd in ACC last year; Cincinatti, Huggins' final game as the Bearcat coach... They're all forgotten because of losses to #1 Arizona, #1 Syracuse and now the best BYU team in BYU history with the best player in BYU's history (yes, including Danny Ainge), the first Cougar team ever to make the Sweet Sixteen.

Are you trying to remind us? Or yourself BZ?

I haven't forgotten Valpo either, or Indiana (the first time).

The SJU game was the best played game in two years. A huge season-defining win that I won't forget for a while.

By the way I agree with everything else you just said.

Comment

• webspinnre
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Its a disappointing end to the season (I was hoping to at least keep it close), but it won't taint my feelings toward the way we came down the stretch. Zags really turned the season around, and lots to look forward to next year.
                          I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• CougarMark
                            Redshirt
                            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                            First of all, I give ALL credit to BYU. They brought their A Game on both ends of the court. Jimmer is a difference-maker, and he brought it all. And the supporting cast played great.

The good news for the Zags: Fredette and Emery graduate.
                            The bad news for the Zags: They lost tonight and the '10-'11 season ends.
                            More good news for the Zags: Rinforcements are coming.

Not the first BYU team to make the Sweet 16. Ainge and his crew made the Elite 8. First time in 30 years, so it's been a very long time.

Comment

• Rbo
                              Kennel Club Material
                              • Feb 2009

Few was congratulatory to the BYU coaches and players at the end of the game, but believe you me, inside he was thinking about next year ... and that first game will be circled and underlined.

Comment

Working...
                              X