PDA

View Full Version : Raivio to work out for Blazers

Angelo Roncalli
06-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Today.

http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/06192007news155488.cfm

quadcityzag
06-19-2007, 10:42 AM
If anything Ravio would be a 2 guard in the NBA. Plus GU Alum Dickau is their backup PG and Dan is a little bit quicker than Derek. It would be interesting to see Derek, Dan and Oden on the court together. But the chances of that happeening our slim to none.

soonerterp
06-19-2007, 12:07 PM
The Blazers are going to be a team to watch for more reasons than the obvious (Oden, who they're almost surely going to draft despite whatever smokescreens Pritchard puts out there). QuadCityZag is right though that the likelihood of Derek, Dan and Oden on the court together is slim to none.

I hate to tell you guys this but I think they'll move Dickau. They could potentially move the coveted Jarrett Jack in a trade as well, because Pritchard is on record (Oregonian a week or two back) that he will push hard to bring ex-Blazer Steve Blake back into the fold (he's a free agent). Now here's the worry -- what if the Blazers move Jack and Dickau and Blake spurns the Blazers to maybe re-sign with Denver or go someplace else like Cleveland or Miami (which is looking for youth at the PG position)?

I think DRav is more likely to be a 2 guard in the NBA so I'm not sure any of these moves would affect him so much were he to stick, but he *could* play some point. So can Brandon Roy if I'm not mistaken.

It'll be an interesting summer.

Good luck to D-Rav ... working out for another team that I actually like.

jake
06-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I think Derek was a great Zag. However, while he may be more likely a 2 guard, in reality his odds of playing at the 1 or 2 spot in the NBA are about as high as him playing 4 or 5. Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but as good as Derek was at Gonzaga, I think his odds of making an NBA roster are between zero and 1 percent. I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but also surprised.

kyle dixon
06-19-2007, 01:45 PM
One percent? Jim Carey once said "Yes! So you are telling me there is a chance?"

jake
06-19-2007, 02:04 PM
One of my favorite movie quotes.

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.

I think Raivio should have Lloyd's attitude. I'm the first to admit, my opinion doesn't mean anything to his NBA chances. Raivio is a great competitor, so I have no doubt he'll give it all he has to earn a spot. I just don't think he has the physical strength or body for the NBA. Wherever his basektball future takes him, he is a great player that should find a spot in a professional league somewhere.

gamagin
06-19-2007, 02:20 PM
his body with strength conditioning and really got buffed, he might have a chance.

But mostly he would need a coach or org. that has confidence in him, is patient & willing to let him develop and grow in the bigs.

Most likely that will be in Europe, imo.

BobZag
06-19-2007, 02:58 PM
I am just a poor boy
Though my story's seldom told
I have squandered my resistance
For a pocketful of mumbles
Such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest

When I left my home and my family
I was no more than a boy
In the company of strangers
In the quiet of the railway station
Running scared
Laying low, seeking out the poorer quarters
Where the ragged people go
Looking for the places only they would know

Lie la lie...

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers
Just a come-on from the whores on Seventh Avenue
I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there

Lie la lie...

Then I'm laying out my winter clothes
And wishing I was gone
Going home
Where the New York City winters aren't bleeding me,
Leading me, going home.

In the clearing stands a boxer
And a fighter by his trade
And he carries the reminders
Of every glove that laid him down
Or cut him till he cried out
In his anger and his shame
"I am leaving, I am leaving"
But the fighter still remains

Lie la lie...

mendiant
06-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Perfect song for Derek!

One of the most underestimated players we have ever had (his detractors were many) though he consistantly came through (with the exception of his trying jr year).

Derek will always be one of my favorites. I hope he gets the position he wants!

NorthoftheBorder
06-19-2007, 04:50 PM
A classic.

The Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel.

soonerterp
06-20-2007, 12:22 AM
OOOOH, looky what I found! (http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/118230813991110.xml&coll=7&thispage=1)

Raivio, 'on the fringe,' battles doubt with grit (Oregonian)

TUALATIN -- Kevin Pritchard likes Derek Raivio's shooting ability and ball-handling. The Trail Blazers general manager raves about Raivio's grit and work ethic.

But . . .

"I like him; he plays hard and he plays the right way," Pritchard said. "But I don't know. He's going to be on the fringe (of the NBA draft)."

"I've had my back against the wall every step of the way," Raivio said. "I know there's a lot of doubters out there, but it's not surprising because it's been that way my whole life. I just turn that into motivation. I know how good I am."

Most college standouts, particularly conference players of the year, have worked out for multiple teams at this stage of the draft evaluation process. Oregon point guard Aaron Brooks, for example, is in the midst of an eight-day, eight-team workout regimen and he's scheduled to work out for 14 teams.

Raivio says his agent still is trying to secure workouts with Seattle and Sacramento. Meanwhile, Raivio is staying in shape and waiting for more chances. He longs for the opportunity to play on an NBA Summer League team.

"He's a really gritty kid," Pritchard said. "And that can help you overcome a lot. If he's willing to play tough and willing to pay the price, I think he'll be an NBA player. If not this year, then the next. He might have to go through a long process. But if he's gritty and tough and willing to make the sacrifice, I think he'll be in the NBA."

It's a 2 page article ... it also mentions he's up to 180 ... gaining five pounds since leaving GU.

Mike Barrett (Blazers PBP voice) mentions this in his blog (http://mikebarrettsblog.blogspot.com/) Tuesday:

There were workouts on Tuesday, as eight players were on display. The first workout consisted of guards. We've seen a lot of guards in the past couple of weeks. Gonzaga's Derek Raivio worked out, along with Virginia Tech's Zabian Dowdell, D.J. Strawberry, of Maryland, and Kammron Taylor or Wisconsin. I don't expect any of these guys to be drafted, but all had solid showings.

(emphasis mine).

Zag79
06-20-2007, 02:09 AM
its nice to see that pritchard can see what so many GU fans missed while DR was here stamping himself in the top5 of so many categories in school history.

soonerterp
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
T F S?

kitzbuel
06-20-2007, 11:53 AM
... it also mentions he's up to 180 ... gaining five pounds since leaving GU.

I wish I had only gained 5 lbs since leaving GU...:o

soonerterp
06-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Sorry...it means "thanks for sharing". Wondered if you'd question that after I posted!

D'oh!

I'd never really noticed it reduced to an acronym before ... sad because I've been reading boards like this for years ...

mendiant
06-20-2007, 05:44 PM
For all those DRav fans who are craving another chance to see him play, got an email advertisement for the Dickau Classic in August. DRav is playing, as is Adam. Wish I lived closer!

mendiant is very joyful now!

Haven't checked my mail box yet...but the tickets are bought...yippee.

I get to go to the Antiques Roadshow in August as well, woohoo.:D

jigga5
06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Lets be realistic, he was horrible at Portsmouth and maybe 1 or 2 will be drafted from that camp. If he was one of the worst at a camp where 1 or 2 ppl get drafted how they heck does he crack a NBA team? folks he was decent at Gu but he is heading overseas /thread.

LongIslandZagFan
06-22-2007, 05:53 AM
Lets be realistic, he was horrible at Portsmouth and maybe 1 or 2 will be drafted from that camp. If he was one of the worst at a camp where 1 or 2 ppl get drafted how they heck does he crack a NBA team? folks he was decent at Gu but he is heading overseas /thread.

We could take your opinion or someone that works in the NBA. If an NBA person is saying he could play at the next level, just maybe not this year... I'd believe him. Why boil down everything about him to one weekend at one camp?

a13coach
06-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Jigga you wouldn't happen to be the clone of jazzdelmar would you?

Sorry jazz I could not pass that up. :D

LongIslandZagFan
06-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Jigga you wouldn't happen to be the clone of jazzdelmar would you?

Sorry jazz I could not pass that up. :D

That isn't fair to Jazz... he sometimes actually says something positive.

soonerterp
06-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Brian Hendrickson, The Columbian, Friday, June 22, 2007 (http://www.columbian.com/sports/localNews/06222007news156947.cfm)

I'm not going to pull quotes from it. I'm tired. Good article though.

Zag79
06-23-2007, 12:38 AM
jigga is just another poster who fails to realize that besides stockton, dickau and stepp derek raivio is in the top5 of almost every major stastical category impt to having a great pg. for some reason or another (i say its his looks) some people just cant see a good player in front of them.

Zag79
06-23-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm not going to pull quotes from it. I'm tired. Good article though.
i will for ya, im bored. ;)

He certainly showed he could play in college, starting all but one game in his final three years, scoring 1,456 career points, finishing second on Gonzaga's career steals list (158) and fourth in assists (356).

Raivio says he'll only concern himself with what he can affect: His effort, determination and sacrifices.
good read!

soonerterp
06-23-2007, 02:33 AM
for some reason or another (i say its his looks) some people just cant see a good player in front of them.

People said the same thing about Steve Blake, and look where he is now: This summer he's apparently one of the most coveted free agent point guards not named Chauncey Billups. Denver wants him back but might not be able to afford it. Portland, Cleveland, Miami and Dallas are reportedly interested in him too.

I draw this comparison because Blake and Raivio are both 6-3, 175-ish, and -- and I don't mean this as a knock on either one -- not that intimidating-looking. Much has been made over the years about Raivio's, um, "youthful," appearance. Safe to say DRav's the polar opposite of Greg Oden, who at 19 doesn't look a day over 50.

One thing Hendrickson's article made gears turn in my head is does the lack of opportunities to work out for teams maybe have a little something to do with his agent?

soonerterp
06-25-2007, 10:45 AM
I think he looks real good.:)

For some reason I expected that ... :)

Anyway, anybody know how much an agent has to do with however many workout invites a player gets? Doesn't an agent have to set that kind of thing up?

soonerterp
06-27-2007, 12:38 AM
No word on how it went but The Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003762426_soni26.html) says D-Rav worked out for them Saturday June 23.

[EDIT -- link from an actual newspaper site]

Rangerzag
06-27-2007, 03:29 AM
No word on how it went but The Seattle Times (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003762426_soni26.html) says D-Rav worked out for them Saturday June 23.

[EDIT -- link from an actual newspaper site]

Okie-Rav ??????????????

soonerterp
06-27-2007, 09:38 AM
Okie-Rav ??????????????

I don't want the Sonics in Oklahoma City.

Unfortunately, I can't tell (feet of) Clay Bennett what to do, either. The guy is embarassing to some of us, though.

cair3
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
I used to think ravio would never be an NBA player, but after watching the cavs in the playoffs so much and seeing how many open threes those guys got I changed my mind, if booby gibson could play like a nice starter with a double team commanding solid passer in Lebron then ravio could be a nice role player for a team that has a star who commands double teams. Plus he would be a nice freethrow shooting asset for the end of games. There is a role for him in the nba he just might have to take the long hard road to get there and unfortunately his success will be heavily dependent on if his team has a star that can pass out of double teams (possibly a oden).

soonerterp
06-27-2007, 03:43 PM
I used to think ravio would never be an NBA player, but after watching the cavs in the playoffs so much and seeing how many open threes those guys got I changed my mind, if booby gibson could play like a nice starter with a double team commanding solid passer in Lebron then ravio could be a nice role player for a team that has a star who commands double teams. Plus he would be a nice freethrow shooting asset for the end of games. There is a role for him in the nba he just might have to take the long hard road to get there and unfortunately his success will be heavily dependent on if his team has a star that can pass out of double teams (possibly a oden).

Good points.

Portland GM Kevin Pritchard, in that article from the O that was linked here last week, offered a LOT of praise for Raivio but is correct in saying that Raivio is on the fringe of the draft. And I don't think Pritchard was heaping praise on Raivio because he's from around there (Vancouver).

I really hope that Raivio gets a summer league invite from a team. Or he could have a shot in the NBADL (although in comparing NBADL ball to Euroball, Euroball is still *better*).