PDA

View Full Version : Pendo: "The Forgotten Man"

bigparb
06-18-2007, 11:16 PM
David Pendergraft will be the heart and soul of this years team...period!!

Now that I got that off my chest, I've got to say that I get disgusted when just about everynight I log on to this board and see someone talking about the "starting five" or the great mismatches we'll be able to force with our variety of athletes, and they completely neglect to mention Mr. Pendergraft.

Pendo will, and should, get 25 mpg and he will be on the floor late in the game when IT matters. You heard it here first!!

We all understand that Pendo may not jump as high, he may be a step slower or an inch shorter, but you cannot measure heart or the intangibles of basketball IQ and knowing how to win with a stopwatch or a measuring tape. Pendo is a winner, he is Mr. Gonzaga and he will be our leader of last resort this year!!

For those of you who want something tangible to chew on, I point to the 6 game stretch Pendo had after Josh was suspended, between Memphis to the WCC title game against SC. Pendo's line was as follows:

6 games--28.7mpg; 13ppg; 5.8rpg; 2.0apg; 1.5spg; only 1.2tpg; FG%-66.7%(30-45); 3FG%-59%(10-17)

Why he only played 19 minutes against Indiana is beyond me......

Now, I'm just as excited as the next guy when I look at the caliber of kids(my apologies to Ira, as he is clearly a Man) that we've got coming in, however The Bottom Line is that before you get too drunk on the freshman Kool-Aid, let's not forget Pendo.

soonerterp
06-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Well put and I haven't forgotten him either.

saintzag
06-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I agree 100%. Pendo brings toughness,heart, versatility and enthusiasm.A true competitor with a good consistent shot. He also sets the best pick on the team.The senior leadership he brings along with the above will command 25-30 minutes per game.

Zag79
06-19-2007, 12:37 AM
pendo will contribute greatly this year, and most likely start since hes a proven sr. hes exactly what this team needs to guide it back to the S16.

JAGzag
06-19-2007, 03:26 AM
I agree that Pendo will probably and should probably start ... early in the season. But once the players get running on all cylinders then talent (and hopefully chemistry) takes over. Pendo blew all expectations when he stepped in last year and provided a real scoring threat. But I still think he is the best 6th man out there - providing not only 110% energy but also is a real talent.

J-Mac Zag Forever
06-19-2007, 06:01 AM
Pendo is one of the best 3 shooters on the team. As a soph he did not do well, but he only shot 12 times. However as a freshman he was the highest % on the team with 1 exception and that was JP. He shot 48%.

After Josh's problem and he realized he would have to step up his offense he shot 13/21 from the 3 pt line. His other FG% is sweet also. WHY wouldn't Few Start 1 of the best shooters on the team.

He understands he just isn't a only a D player now. He wasn't MR. Basketball for his just his defensive play.

Zag509
06-19-2007, 07:40 AM
I think Pendo has more then earned a starting spot, but as long as he is ok with it I would still love to see him come off the bench. He provides so much more from there. That being said, he will play a huge role in whatever Few does with him. He and Pargo I think will clearly be the leaders on the floor.

Another overlooked factor is how much he can teach our other players. I think Gray, Daye, Sacre, Foster, and Downs can all learn a lot from going to Pendo U. everyday in practice.

Gonezagaga
06-19-2007, 07:57 AM
It doesn't really matter what you read when you log onto this message board. The coaches know how valuable Pendo is to the team and will play him accordingly. That may mean that he starts and plays 25 min per game or that he's first off the bench and plays 20 min per game. Rest assured he will be on the floor during crunch time making all the right plays.

zaguarxj
06-19-2007, 08:11 AM
There was a lot of love for David in this thread (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1241&highlight=Pendo+Pendergraft). Maybe he's not being discussed as much right now, with all the excitement about the incoming recruits. But I don't think anyone has forgotten their favorite zag.

brasszag
06-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Pendo is one of the best 3 shooters on the team. As a soph he did not do well, but he only shot 12 times. However as a freshman he was the highest % on the team with 1 exception and that was JP. He shot 48%.

After Josh's problem and he realized he would have to step up his offense he shot 13/21 from the 3 pt line. His other FG% is sweet also. WHY wouldn't Few Start 1 of the best shooters on the team.

The answer is hidden in there - Pendo doesn't take (or force) bad shots.

I think that's his greatest asset - and when it comes to the last-second shot, I think of all the Zags I've seen (starting in '94) Pendo is alongside Ammo for players I have the most confidence in their clutch shot ability.

He may not start, but he's a closer.

Nevtelen
06-19-2007, 08:26 AM
My guess is that Pendo comes off the bench but gets similar minutes to most of the starters. The thing I wonder is what position Pendo will play. We're pretty stacked at the 3. Will he be at the 4 with Josh and Theo? He could also play some 2 if we needed. I think it'll be interesting to not only see how many minutes he gets, but at what positions they come. My bet is curently he plays the most at the 4 behind Josh (or if Josh is playing 5) and also gets some minutes at the 2 occasionally, depending on how quickly Gray comes along (Bouldin and Pargo can't both play the whole game every game).

webspinnre
06-19-2007, 08:50 AM
I love Pendo, having had classes with him, and I absolutely love his heart and determination. The problem is, he can't play the 5, the 2 or the 1. This leaves the 3, where we're loaded, and the 4, where he's undersized. I'd guess that he might begin the year as a starter, but wouldn't be surprised to see him lose PT as guys like Daye, Davis and Sacre round into form - and don't forget Ira and LG. The problem is that this team is so talented, it's going to be tough for anyone to get big time PT - they'll have to earn it the hard way.

Nevtelen
06-19-2007, 09:31 AM
After how he filled in at 5 last season vs Memphis, I think you should say "we shouldn't have to ask him to play the 5" not 'he can't." :) And what's wrong with Pendo at the 2? He'd have problems defensively if the opposing 2 is quick, but with our shot-blocking talent this year, that shouldn't be as big an issue.

BobZag
06-19-2007, 09:40 AM
David Pendergraft will be the heart and soul of this years team...period!!

Now that I got that off my chest, I've got to say that I get disgusted when just about everynight I log on to this board and see someone talking about the "starting five" or the great mismatches we'll be able to force with our variety of athletes, and they completely neglect to mention Mr. Pendergraft.

Pendo will, and should, get 25 mpg and he will be on the floor late in the game when IT matters. You heard it here first!!

We all understand that Pendo may not jump as high, he may be a step slower or an inch shorter, but you cannot measure heart or the intangibles of basketball IQ and knowing how to win with a stopwatch or a measuring tape. Pendo is a winner, he is Mr. Gonzaga and he will be our leader of last resort this year!!

For those of you who want something tangible to chew on, I point to the 6 game stretch Pendo had after Josh was suspended, between Memphis to the WCC title game against SC. Pendo's line was as follows:

6 games--28.7mpg; 13ppg; 5.8rpg; 2.0apg; 1.5spg; only 1.2tpg; FG%-66.7%(30-45); 3FG%-59%(10-17)

Why he only played 19 minutes against Indiana is beyond me......

Now, I'm just as excited as the next guy when I look at the caliber of kids(my apologies to Ira, as he is clearly a Man) that we've got coming in, however The Bottom Line is that before you get too drunk on the freshman Kool-Aid, let's not forget Pendo.

And that's exactly the way David likes it: to be overlooked, under-rated, etc. It motivates him. Opponents dismiss him more. The last thing Pendo wants is to be ballyhooed. It speaks volumes for this team when Pendo (and LG) are rarely mentioned, and Pendo prefers it that way. We all know he's the leader now, and what he'll do to help his Zags win: everything.

Good post. ;)

ZagManFan
06-19-2007, 10:50 AM
I think Pendo has a legit shot at the next level. Now getting drafted may be a different story, but I think he could make a team in the NBA. His game reminds me of (even though I don't care for him to much) is Robert Horry. Clutch shooter, above average rebounder, sets good screens, takes good percentage shots and hustles all over the court. Basically does all the small things that get lost at the next level. Plus with his frame I truly think he can play at the next level.

Never know, GU could be like Florida and win the National Championship and end up having 3 players drafted in the first round next year. :pray:

cggonzaga
06-19-2007, 10:52 AM
I agree Pendo will do anything for the team and no one has forgot about him. Truth be told, he is a bench player on this team and any team in the top 30. His leadership is invaluable to this year's team. I don't see him getting 25mpg (outside of Pargo, Heytvelt and maybe Bouldin, I don't see anyone getting those minutes). He's a great player but he's limited. He's a great spark off the bench and personally I think that's where he's most valuable.

gu03alum
06-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I agree Pendo will do anything for the team and no one has forgot about him. Truth be told, he is a bench player on this team and any team in the top 30. His leadership is invaluable to this year's team. I don't see him getting 25mpg (outside of Pargo, Heytvelt and maybe Bouldin, I don't see anyone getting those minutes). He's a great player but he's limited. He's a great spark off the bench and personally I think that's where he's most valuable.

I agree with you cggonzaga. Pendo is a great cheerleader and brings a lot of fire to the team, but he just doesn't have the skill that the other players do. I think he will be a starter at the beginning of the year like PMAC last year. But also like PMAC, I think he will disappear for long stretches of games as the year go on.

23dpg
06-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Wow, I'm a little surprised that many of you feel that way. I think Pendo will start every game he's healthy. Anyone want to start a poll?

sonuvazag
06-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Pendo is a great cheerleader.
Ummm... WT... Ummm ... I hope Bobzag's theory on underappreciation holds here and motivates. I'm not going to be the one handing him pompoms.

bigblahla
06-19-2007, 12:01 PM
Hmmmm? Limited? Go ahead under estimate the Rooster from Brewster. He is the best 6'6" 5 I've ever seen. He is the heart, the soul and moral fiber of next years team. Few will control his minutes but I'd take Super Zag over any body else on the roster when the game is on the line.

GO!! ZAGS!!!

TheZagPhish
06-19-2007, 12:56 PM
No matter where he is, Pendo's presence and leadership will strike the central tone, methinks.

sittingon50
06-19-2007, 02:32 PM
John Havlicek.

BilboZaggins
06-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I love it when players post!

lothar98zag
06-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Thank you Pendo for posting this

I love it when players post!
:lmao:

cggonzaga
06-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Apparently I missed some games last year. Where does all this Pendo is clutch stuff come from? Because he hit the three against Memphis you're calling him clutch? I consider clutch being someone who consistently knocks those shots down ala Ammo. Not just the game winners but the big shots down the stretch of a game. Many games last year he wasn't even in there at the end. Don't get me wrong, Pendo is one of my favorites but I don't consider him a star like some of you make him out to be. He's definitely not playing in the NBA like someone suggested. This year's team also isn't last years. There's a very high talent level this year that if some live up to their potential others i.e. Pendo, will be out of playing time. We're playing for National Championships now not just WCC championships. Pendo is the consumate Zag and we'll always need those types of players. Just don't make them out to be something they're not.

J-Mac Zag Forever
06-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Pendo had the mind set for the first 3 years to play Defense because the Zags has shooters. When Asked by the media about offense and when he would start shooting the ball more he replied "my day is coming". The attitude of a true Zag. TEAM FIRST. You need to go back and check his stats his freshman year. Then note he only shot 12 times his soph year. Every needs to shoot if he hopes to find some consistency. He shot the same his junior year very seldom. Again most of his shots were with the clock winding down. He steped up his offense after Josh becase he realized his time was now and finished the season shooting 13 of 21 from the 3 pt line. His other stats for FG% his first 3 years are equally impressive.

check his stats in high school. Pendo is a Shooter. When Few needed a shooter to step out off the bench for free throws there was a reason he choose Pendo. These New freshman coming have a lot of potential talent but not Pendo's experience and overall game. Maybe Later. Write this Down, he will not only start But get a lot of quality min. Goota go excuse the spelling in a hurry.

BobZag
06-19-2007, 04:51 PM
Pargo
Bouldin
Downs
Pendo
Heytvelt

If we play a big, beefy team, we outquick them or utilize Kuso, Theo, Sacre, Ira more.

ZagManFan
06-19-2007, 05:14 PM
I don't think that Pendo has lived up to his potential yet either. That is because he has been asked to do what is best for the team. I guess you did miss some games because I remember thinking that Few should have had more set plays for Pendo as he hit shot after shot in clutch situations the 2nd half of the year.

This being his senior year, I think you will see even more from Pendo. A 15 and 8 year from him is not out of the question. And yes, I think he will play in the NBA. Will not get drafted unless GU makes a deep run in the tourney and catches some eyes. Will more than likely be signed as a free agent and will have a decent career.

I think some of you are underestimating Pendo's talent. Who would of thought that Curt Rambis would have a productive NBA career, but he did. Looked silly with those glasses, but did what was asked of him. As far as the talent passing him on the depth chart this year, I think that is absurd. Pendo has a ton of talent, but has been doing the smaller things so that Ammo, Drav and others can take on the "scorer" role. Don't always have to have a great offensive game to make the NBA. Just desire!

Nothing but love for ya Pendo!!!!! Prove these boys wrong.

Rangerzag
06-19-2007, 07:08 PM
I am not sure which Mark Few some of you guys have been watching all these years. After all these years of doing exactly whatever he has been asked to the very best of his ability, Pendo starts as a senior. The number of minutes is another question that will play out as the year goes on but Pendo will start.

roxdoc
06-19-2007, 07:41 PM
BobZag - you have Josh playing at 5? With all due respect to all concerned - square peg, round hole. I think a big sacrifice to accomodate Pendo at 4. Maybe Josh 4 and Pendo 5.

gu03alum
06-19-2007, 08:49 PM
And yes, I think he will play in the NBA. Will not get drafted unless GU makes a deep run in the tourney and catches some eyes. Will more than likely be signed as a free agent and will have a decent career.

Don't always have to have a great offensive game to make the NBA.

Are you being serious? I'm not trying to dog on Pendo, but there are a lot of great college players that never make it to the NBA. I don't think that a 15 point, 8 rebound per game season and a run in the tourney will put him in the NBA. There are only 30 to 40 college players each year that even get drafted by the NBA. JP, who's taller and bigger, had numbers that were better than that and didn't get drafted. I think that this team needs Pendo and he is a very important part of the team, but I think that it is silly to talk about him playing in the NBA.

Zag79
06-20-2007, 02:05 AM
Pendo is a great cheerleader and brings a lot of fire to the team, but he just doesn't have the skill that the other players do.
what pendo are you watching? you dont KNOW he can shoot yet. you will see this season when few allows him to break it out alot more.

brasszag
06-20-2007, 05:18 AM
With no disrespect to Big Red intended - I cannot really see him making the NBA. I could see him spending some years in a Euro-League though.

gamagin
06-20-2007, 06:46 AM
is far and away my favorite player. On just about every level.

My wish is for him to have a signature senior year, get and take the shots he sees, lead the team, and end a truly enviable college career as the genuine role model for students and athletes that he has become and will remain forever.

I believe he is set for all that, too. Maybe more.

ZagManFan
06-20-2007, 07:30 AM
I don't think that a 15 point, 8 rebound per game season and a run in the tourney will put him in the NBA.

Just so you know, Noah from Florida averaged 12.0 and 8.4 last year. Not that Pendo is on Noah's level, but I don't think he is far behind. Pendo is a better outside shooter and I think he could body up Noah in the post. Numbers don't mean %$#% when it comes to desire to play at the next level. I don't think Noah is all that good and is way overhyped, but he plays with passion and emotion that is unrivaled to 99% of CB players. Yes, he did have a great core around him that saw 5 players average double figures, but we have that here at GU this year as well. Pendo has that fire, just not to the extent of Noah, but don't tell me that with a great senior season (which I expect), that he cannot make the NBA. I bet we have at least 5 players now on this team that make the NBA. Maybe more.

Most GREAT college players are just that. College players. Reddick will never make a splash in the NBA if you ask me, but players that have the body and desire makes up a huge portion of the players. I never even heard of Oberto from SA until the playoffs this year, but he is a smart big man and doesn't do stupid crap. Just plays hard and gets more minutes then I thought someone like that would get.

Everyone is entitled to their own view and my view is that he will get a tryout with a team and make the team. Don't shoot down my views just because you have a differnet one. Just make your case. I have no doubt many think he will not make the NBA, but I think otherwise.

cggonzaga
06-20-2007, 07:47 AM
You're the only one that thinks he'll play in the NBA. I'm not trying to attack you but you're making it easy. He's 6'5" with no hops or lateral quickness. He'd have to play the 2 in the NBA and that's just not going to happen. If Richie Frahm, who is a far superior athlete with a far superior jump shot can't make it, then there's no reason to expect Pendo to. There are college players all over the country with the same fire Pendo has but limited skills and none of them are playing in the NBA next year either. The NBA is a potential league and Pendo has maxed his (which how many people can actually say that?)Pendo is what he is, just except that and be happy he's a Zag for one more year.

CDC84
06-20-2007, 07:58 AM
In order for Gonzaga to be the best team it can possibly be, the lineup will likely eventually need to be:

Pargo
Bouldin
Downs
Davis
Heytvelt

I'm as much of a Pendo fan as anyone, but in order for Gonzaga to thrive at the highest level, they need someone in the low blocks that can score and rebound and allow Josh to operate more as a 4 man. Davis may or may not be that guy, but right now, I am not confident that any other player on the roster has the requisite height, athleticism and offensive skill level to be that 5 man. And again, he may not be that guy, but at least I can imagine him possibly being that guy.

I think this is eventually the way things will need to be. But Theo hasn't played organized ball in ages, and he is going to need a lot of game experience to round into form. But eventually I am more than fine with Pendo being the first guy off the bench. Instant experience and energy.

That all being said, to start off the year, I am confident you will see a Pargo/Bouldin/Downs/Pendo/Heytvelt lineup. Or Few might sub Kuso for Pendo. As a previous poster pointed out, Few is devoted to his upperclassmen.

gu03alum
06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Noah 7'
Pendo 6'4''

BTW - Oberto did not play college ball. Like a lot of the players playing in the NBA, he came from another country.

roxdoc
06-20-2007, 08:21 AM
CDC - I agree completely on your "eventual" need analysis. I also agree with coach Few having a thing about playing his seniors (especially one as talented as Pendo). I do have trouble with your Pendo lineup - Josh playing 5 or center, something that he has not shown the discipline to do well, and something that he obviously does not like to do. Maybe there is an offensive scheme where Pendo and Josh both play 4.5! Rebounding is a problem with that lineup because Josh will be floating out on the 3 pt line.

zzzjag
06-20-2007, 08:41 AM
I couldn't agree more. He was the key guy last season after the suspension. His stats from Memphis on clearly show his value. Don't forget that Mallon was hobbled a few games leaving Kuso and Pendo to fight off the interior alone.

RebornZag
06-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I read the board quite frequently and I would have to say that IMO Pendo has been far from forgotten (the 3 f's). He's the heart of the '07-'08 Zag team. He'll be the captain too (imo)!!!:D

Starting 5

Kuso
Pendo
Downs
Bouldin
Pargo

These guys deserve to start, imo, for what they accomplished together last year. I loved the Zag fight in these guys. When Josh was suspended it looked BLEEK!!! :enraged: And for the first time in awhile it looked like we wouldn't make it to the NCAA's. I think what these guys did MUST be remembered. I think Josh should begin the season as a substitute and work his way back into the starting unit (possibly). I think Josh coming in for Kuso would be an energizer. And Davis will come in for Pendo.

bigparb
02-29-2008, 08:36 AM
I posted this back on 06-19-2007, 12:16 AM

:)

S.U. Chieftain
02-29-2008, 05:54 PM
is far and away my favorite player. On just about every level.

My wish is for him to have a signature senior year, get and take the shots he sees, lead the team, and end a truly enviable college career as the genuine role model for students and athletes that he has become and will remain forever.

I believe he is set for all that, too. Maybe more.

gamagin - Way to go with predicting this back in the summer! Your wish came true!

ZagsNP
02-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Your predictions for Pendo and his Senior year came true, care to make any regarding Josh?

MickMick
02-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Pargo
Bouldin
Downs
Pendo
Heytvelt

If we play a big, beefy team, we outquick them or utilize Kuso, Theo, Sacre, Ira more.

In a recent thread I put this down as my starting five.

Mostly because I will not dispute a great head coach that watches these guys in practice every day.

gamagin
02-29-2008, 06:56 PM
see:

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=895&highlight=everyman+%26amp%3B+pendo

#41 was my take re this great kid. I miss him already:

pendo . . . is everyman. Yet he is extraordinary. Smart.

Too slow, yet try and beat him to the ball and he seems suddenly fast enough. Too short, yet try and get a rebound from him or get in position when he's near and he seems taller. Luckier ?

Whenever I thought I had him pegged (too often it turns out), he fooled me. I suspect he's made a career out of making fools of doubters.

Pendo is a fellow who has seldom shot since high school, but is a shooter.

There is no position he won't try and there is no position where he won't produce. You can't break him and he doesn't fold. ever.

I don't think even now there is an opponent who looks at Pendo and doesn't believe he can beat him. It's the nature of any good competitor. He has to think that way. Whatever happened last time was a fluke.

I've found myself watching Pendo against allegedly better players and wondering if he hasn't reached his match, and more, over and over.

But then the game starts and that opponent I figured was going to school this farmboy doesn't know what's hitting him. Or how to deal with him. Or how to beat him.

Pendo treats them like rented mules and then returns to shake their hands at the end. He smiles.

The respect is genuine. It is mutual.

gamagin
03-01-2008, 11:20 AM
<< gamagin - Way to go with predicting this back in the summer! Your wish came true!>>

S.U.:

thank you for digging that out. And yes, I think all of those who have tried to figure this kid out, and appreciate him, his effort, the lessons he brings and the character and everything else, would like to point their children to him and say,

"Here. Here is what it takes to succeed. Work and play like Pendo."