• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigparb
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Pendo: "The Forgotten Man"

David Pendergraft will be the heart and soul of this years team...period!!

Now that I got that off my chest, I've got to say that I get disgusted when just about everynight I log on to this board and see someone talking about the "starting five" or the great mismatches we'll be able to force with our variety of athletes, and they completely neglect to mention Mr. Pendergraft.

Pendo will, and should, get 25 mpg and he will be on the floor late in the game when IT matters. You heard it here first!!

We all understand that Pendo may not jump as high, he may be a step slower or an inch shorter, but you cannot measure heart or the intangibles of basketball IQ and knowing how to win with a stopwatch or a measuring tape. Pendo is a winner, he is Mr. Gonzaga and he will be our leader of last resort this year!!

For those of you who want something tangible to chew on, I point to the 6 game stretch Pendo had after Josh was suspended, between Memphis to the WCC title game against SC. Pendo's line was as follows:

6 games--28.7mpg; 13ppg; 5.8rpg; 2.0apg; 1.5spg; only 1.2tpg; FG%-66.7%(30-45); 3FG%-59%(10-17)

Why he only played 19 minutes against Indiana is beyond me......

Now, I'm just as excited as the next guy when I look at the caliber of kids(my apologies to Ira, as he is clearly a Man) that we've got coming in, however The Bottom Line is that before you get too drunk on the freshman Kool-Aid, let's not forget Pendo.
  • soonerterp
    Kennel Club Material
    • Feb 2007

Well put and I haven't forgotten him either.

Comment

I agree 100%. Pendo brings toughness,heart, versatility and enthusiasm.A true competitor with a good consistent shot. He also sets the best pick on the team.The senior leadership he brings along with the above will command 25-30 minutes per game.

Comment

• Zag79
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

pendo will contribute greatly this year, and most likely start since hes a proven sr. hes exactly what this team needs to guide it back to the S16.

Comment

• JAGzag
          Zag for Life
          • Mar 2007

I agree that Pendo will probably and should probably start ... early in the season. But once the players get running on all cylinders then talent (and hopefully chemistry) takes over. Pendo blew all expectations when he stepped in last year and provided a real scoring threat. But I still think he is the best 6th man out there - providing not only 110% energy but also is a real talent.

Comment

• J-Mac Zag Forever
            Kennel Club Material
            • Apr 2007

Pendo is one of the best 3 shooters on the team. As a soph he did not do well, but he only shot 12 times. However as a freshman he was the highest % on the team with 1 exception and that was JP. He shot 48%.

After Josh's problem and he realized he would have to step up his offense he shot 13/21 from the 3 pt line. His other FG% is sweet also. WHY wouldn't Few Start 1 of the best shooters on the team.

He understands he just isn't a only a D player now. He wasn't MR. Basketball for his just his defensive play.

Comment

• Zag509
              Bulldog Fan
              • Feb 2007

I think Pendo has more then earned a starting spot, but as long as he is ok with it I would still love to see him come off the bench. He provides so much more from there. That being said, he will play a huge role in whatever Few does with him. He and Pargo I think will clearly be the leaders on the floor.

Another overlooked factor is how much he can teach our other players. I think Gray, Daye, Sacre, Foster, and Downs can all learn a lot from going to Pendo U. everyday in practice.

Comment

• Gonezagaga
                Kennel Club Material
                • Feb 2007

Pendo

It doesn't really matter what you read when you log onto this message board. The coaches know how valuable Pendo is to the team and will play him accordingly. That may mean that he starts and plays 25 min per game or that he's first off the bench and plays 20 min per game. Rest assured he will be on the floor during crunch time making all the right plays.

Comment

• zaguarxj
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

There was a lot of love for David in this thread. Maybe he's not being discussed as much right now, with all the excitement about the incoming recruits. But I don't think anyone has forgotten their favorite zag.

Comment

• brasszag
                    Professional Zag Fan
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by J-Mac Zag Forever View Post
                    Pendo is one of the best 3 shooters on the team. As a soph he did not do well, but he only shot 12 times. However as a freshman he was the highest % on the team with 1 exception and that was JP. He shot 48%.

After Josh's problem and he realized he would have to step up his offense he shot 13/21 from the 3 pt line. His other FG% is sweet also. WHY wouldn't Few Start 1 of the best shooters on the team.
                    The answer is hidden in there - Pendo doesn't take (or force) bad shots.

I think that's his greatest asset - and when it comes to the last-second shot, I think of all the Zags I've seen (starting in '94) Pendo is alongside Ammo for players I have the most confidence in their clutch shot ability.

He may not start, but he's a closer.
                    There's no such thing as "garbage time" - there's only the time to crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That is what is best about being a Zag.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

My guess is that Pendo comes off the bench but gets similar minutes to most of the starters. The thing I wonder is what position Pendo will play. We're pretty stacked at the 3. Will he be at the 4 with Josh and Theo? He could also play some 2 if we needed. I think it'll be interesting to not only see how many minutes he gets, but at what positions they come. My bet is curently he plays the most at the 4 behind Josh (or if Josh is playing 5) and also gets some minutes at the 2 occasionally, depending on how quickly Gray comes along (Bouldin and Pargo can't both play the whole game every game).

Comment

• webspinnre
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I love Pendo, having had classes with him, and I absolutely love his heart and determination. The problem is, he can't play the 5, the 2 or the 1. This leaves the 3, where we're loaded, and the 4, where he's undersized. I'd guess that he might begin the year as a starter, but wouldn't be surprised to see him lose PT as guys like Daye, Davis and Sacre round into form - and don't forget Ira and LG. The problem is that this team is so talented, it's going to be tough for anyone to get big time PT - they'll have to earn it the hard way.
                        I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Comment

• Nevtelen
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

After how he filled in at 5 last season vs Memphis, I think you should say "we shouldn't have to ask him to play the 5" not 'he can't." And what's wrong with Pendo at the 2? He'd have problems defensively if the opposing 2 is quick, but with our shot-blocking talent this year, that shouldn't be as big an issue.

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by bigparb View Post
                            David Pendergraft will be the heart and soul of this years team...period!!

Now that I got that off my chest, I've got to say that I get disgusted when just about everynight I log on to this board and see someone talking about the "starting five" or the great mismatches we'll be able to force with our variety of athletes, and they completely neglect to mention Mr. Pendergraft.

Pendo will, and should, get 25 mpg and he will be on the floor late in the game when IT matters. You heard it here first!!

We all understand that Pendo may not jump as high, he may be a step slower or an inch shorter, but you cannot measure heart or the intangibles of basketball IQ and knowing how to win with a stopwatch or a measuring tape. Pendo is a winner, he is Mr. Gonzaga and he will be our leader of last resort this year!!

For those of you who want something tangible to chew on, I point to the 6 game stretch Pendo had after Josh was suspended, between Memphis to the WCC title game against SC. Pendo's line was as follows:

6 games--28.7mpg; 13ppg; 5.8rpg; 2.0apg; 1.5spg; only 1.2tpg; FG%-66.7%(30-45); 3FG%-59%(10-17)

Why he only played 19 minutes against Indiana is beyond me......

Now, I'm just as excited as the next guy when I look at the caliber of kids(my apologies to Ira, as he is clearly a Man) that we've got coming in, however The Bottom Line is that before you get too drunk on the freshman Kool-Aid, let's not forget Pendo.
                            And that's exactly the way David likes it: to be overlooked, under-rated, etc. It motivates him. Opponents dismiss him more. The last thing Pendo wants is to be ballyhooed. It speaks volumes for this team when Pendo (and LG) are rarely mentioned, and Pendo prefers it that way. We all know he's the leader now, and what he'll do to help his Zags win: everything.

Good post.
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• ZagManFan
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

I think Pendo has a legit shot at the next level. Now getting drafted may be a different story, but I think he could make a team in the NBA. His game reminds me of (even though I don't care for him to much) is Robert Horry. Clutch shooter, above average rebounder, sets good screens, takes good percentage shots and hustles all over the court. Basically does all the small things that get lost at the next level. Plus with his frame I truly think he can play at the next level.

Never know, GU could be like Florida and win the National Championship and end up having 3 players drafted in the first round next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X