PDA

View Full Version : What if Jeremy Pargo gets 3 quick fouls?

Kiddwell
06-18-2007, 10:19 PM
What, O, what do the Zags do then? Their starting PG? Three quick fouls?? This could be trouble, Trouble!!

Well, hold on now, Kiddwell . . . wait-a-sec . . . no, maybe not . . . there might be a way around this . . . lemme close my eyes . . . I need to concentrate . . . um . . .

CG - Matt Bouldin ****
SF/SG - Micah Downs *****
SF - Austin Daye *****
PF - Josh Heytvelt ****
PF - Theo Davis ****

Yeah . . . I suppose . . . that MIGHT work . . .

:]

MickMick
06-18-2007, 10:32 PM
If I were a mid major team (typically loaded at guard, weaker in the paint), and I had to come up with some futile game plan to beat a team that wins almost every matchup on the floor, this is exactly how I would attack the Zags. Not saying it would work. But I think my best shot would be to challenge the Zags overall ball handling and movement with a small quick lineup (typical small school), and press them relentlessly.....especially with Pargo in foul trouble.

jazzdelmar
06-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Kidd, let's hope P-go fouls a lot.......or becomes a better all-round player....

CDC84
06-19-2007, 09:04 AM
The real concern is not what happens if Pargo picks up 3 quick fouls (which I doubt would happen…Few would sit him for the half after collecting 2), but if either Pargo or Bouldin get injured for a significant amount of time.

Running the flex is an option as this would allow GU to operate without a real PG in place. But the opponent needs to be playing man for this to happen.

That recent article on Steven Gray said that Few has asked Gray to work on his ballhandling as he might be playing some point this season. Gray has almost zero experience as a point guard, but someone has to take on some of these responsibilities should an emergency occur. He seems like one of the logical choices given his height and basketball IQ. I am sure the staff will create a simplified form of the offense in case the opponent goes zone or whatever.

It’s one of the interesting issues with this year’s team. If either Bouldin or Pargo go down, Gonzaga isn’t going to collapse as a team, but it would make things quite challenging.

As you might imagine, all of this is why GU so desperately needs to get a point guard in here in 2008….whether it is option A, B or C.

Nevtelen
06-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I have no doubt that we'll see some teams using that strategy next year - throwing lots of guards at Pargo to wear him down and draw charges when he tries to bull his way into the paint. He'll have to be ready for that. Bouldin had a bad habit of making really unnecessary fouls last year - he should be beyond that this year. He really needs to be in case we need him to fill in as PG (plus he'll be playing a lot of the game anyway at SG).

OTOH, last year we were spoiled with several good guards and didn't have to worry about this kind of thing. But most teams would have trouble replacing their starting point if he got into foul trouble - it's not like this is a problem that is particular to GU.

brasszag
06-19-2007, 09:45 AM
I'm guessing the staff will also be looking for a ball-handler type to replace Jordan Mast as a walk-on, just to have someone extra to bring the ball up the court sometimes if we have a foul-heavy game.

BobZag
06-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Call Rotnei Clarke and offer PT within days if he can graduate 6 months early and be at GU in a week. :)

kitzbuel
06-19-2007, 02:23 PM
What, O, what do the Zags do then? Their starting PG? Three quick fouls?? This could be trouble, Trouble!!

Well, hold on now, Kiddwell . . . wait-a-sec . . . no, maybe not . . . there might be a way around this . . . lemme close my eyes . . . I need to concentrate . . . um . . .

CG - Matt Bouldin ****
SF/SG - Micah Downs *****
SF - Austin Daye *****
PF - Josh Heytvelt ****
PF - Theo Davis ****

Yeah . . . I suppose . . . that MIGHT work . . .

:]

LG is not a bad ball handler and could easily fit in there in lieu of Daye or Downs. Not only would that be a big line up, but fast, too.

RebornZag
06-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Pargo is a very good defensive player, and has not been prone to getting into foul trouble. It's an asset he has...he's very smart. He knows when to hold
'em, knows when to fold 'em. Gonzaga is solid at point guard. I don't see the need for all the worry projected sometimes by doomsayers. Every team, as CDC indicates, faces the same possibilities that GU does. Any starting point guard could get into foul trouble or get hurt. I believe that Gonzaga has a better back up PG in Matt Bouldin then most teams have. We are fortunate in my opinion.

Pargo goes to the bench with 2 fouls. It may happen from time to time. He sits as Matt plays. We won't miss a beat imo. Matt is going to play the point some anyway...How many Div I teams are 3 deep at the pg position? How many teams will have a quality pg who is the 11th man on the team?

Pargo is not going to get hurt. I know it's June, and there's a need to create something to worry about so we can get through the summer. Hey. It is summer. Why not go and have some fun and stop worrying.

kitzbuel
06-20-2007, 01:14 PM
I think it is fun to look at all the possibilities that exist with this roster.

sonuvazag
06-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Pargo is not going to get hurt. Knock on Wood. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_10_2.gif

RebornZag
06-20-2007, 01:32 PM
:pray: PLEASE God!!!