• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gu03alum
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Bill Simmons

Bill Simmons talked about the Zags on his podcast yesterday (15 March 2011) with Chad Millman (gambling expert). I was a little surprised when he started talking about how white Gonzaga's team is. Has he ever even seen the team play? I have always liked him, but I lost a lot of respect for his generalizations about the team. Here is what he and Millman said:

Chad Millman: Gonzaga is one of those teams, they're blowing the sirens

Bill Simmons: Gonzaga versus BYU would be like out of the 1950's.

Millman: It would be, It would be like Hickory; honestly, they'd have to measure the nets

Simmons: measure the nets on each side, you could get a both side white-wash in that game Joe Meade, Joe Meade?

Millman: He's done, he fell asleep

Simmons: you could get a 10 man white wash, we could see 10 men at once, 10 white dudes

Joe Meade: I'm here, sounds really exciting though

Simmons: when was the last time that happened? We'd have to go back to the 70's. I'm gonna be on the edge of my seat waiting for that

Millman: It might happen, a lot of guys are thinking at the end of the day that Mark Few is a better coach than Steve Lavin
    Bring back the OCC
  • MDABE80
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Silly trash discussion. Means nothing. Blabbering heads.

Comment

• Pleasant Peninsula
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Mar 2008

I usually like Simmons, too. But that is awful.

By my count, Gonzaga only has four "white" players total.

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
        • Feb 2007

Honestly I find it offensive... not to mention downright off target and proof that he hasn't watched a Zag game in about 20 years.
        "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• zagfan08
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Simmons is as good as ESPN has, really good at what he does. Love his stuff, although he's always been more of a pro guy than a college guy. Regardless, great journalist.

Edit to add: I shouldn't say as good as ESPN has, Wilbon takes the cake there. But Simmons is great for his mailbag and podcasts, plus just a big fan of the NFL and the NBA, which is also a nice perspective.

Comment

• B Wayne
            Kennel Club
            • Nov 2007

Bill Simmons enjoys pro sports, often using analogies about teenage level reality shows when writing about pro sports. Those are his 2 areas of knowledge, reality and teen age TV shows, and pro sports.

He knows so little about college sports because he just doesn't enjoy or appreciate it. Occasionally he gets guests on his podcasts who help him try to understand college sports. I know this is a stereotype, but so many fans back east are pro sports oriented.

He starts writing about college basketball a bit in March only because it's the popular thing to do (big with him) and he's starting to consider who might be drafted. Seriously, almost anyone who has posted on this board knows more about college ball then Simmons.

So his stereotype about Gonzaga with white guys fits perfectly with his feeble knowledge about college sports.

Comment

• bullzag23
              Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2015
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by gu03alum View Post
              Bill Simmons talked about the Zags on his podcast yesterday (15 March 2011) with Chad Millman (gambling expert). I was a little surprised when he started talking about how white Gonzaga's team is. Has he ever even seen the team play? I have always liked him, but I lost a lot of respect for his generalizations about the team. Here is what he and Millman said:
              I thought the most offensive part was how they kept saying 'Gun Zaw Guh' the entire time. Please, this school has been in the NCAAs for over a decade, learn THE F&#*&*&#&*# NAME!

I like Simmons but he should stick to discussing the NBA.

/endrant
              A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.
              Steven Wright

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2012
              Foo Fantasy Football Last Place Champ 2013

Comment

• john montana
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Simmons is just a comedian...he's not a real sports journalist. this was pretty poor, but usually i find his stuff funny.
                john montana
                http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Beer_Engineer
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Oct 2009

Its just comedic fodder. Nothing more nothing less. geezsh

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Maybe you pronounce his name Sammons, and he's what Few fishes for here in Spokane!! Don't know whether it would be better to troll or chum though. LOL
                    Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

nuff said

i think simmons is from boston...i knw he is a big sawx fan...so, enough said...

agree w LIZF that its offensive.....but espn never fails to drain the intelligence pool one more centimeter.....

Comment

• zag944
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

He used to be must read, but he's completely lost his fastball. He used to write with the voice of a fan, and that's really been lost as his celebrity has grown. Malcolm Gladwell wrote the intro to his book, and in a complementary way, explained why he is a better sports fan than any of us. For me it was the perfect explanation of way he isn't fun to read anymore.

Did he make the HILARIOUS joke that we are like the black contestant on the bachelor that's always eliminated early? That was a good one 5 years in a row

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Take it as entertainment value only. Bad taste but somebody out there likes it..I guess.

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2008

Did he make any fart jokes? Because that would have been about as creative and funny.
                            What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

Working...
                            X