PDA

View Full Version : Uab?

BBskorer
06-18-2007, 06:55 PM
It's been mentioned earlier on the board. Looks like it's gonna happen. According to BlazerTalk (http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=238076):
UAB is in the process of finalizing a deal for a home and home series with Gonzaga. A sourse close to BlazerTalk confirmed that the series will start at the McCarthey Athletic Center (The Kennel) on December 29.

ZagNut08
06-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Great, over winter break...at least more of spokane will get to see a big name school come to K2

Nevtelen
06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I know Mike Davis is the head coach, but they were not so good last year. It looks like they're going to have a solid recruiting class, but I'm not sure how much that'll affect the team in the coming season. I'm not sure how I feel about this deal. We play enough mid-majors of questionable RPI in conference. Why go to Alabama to do it? Why a home and home with UAB? What does GU gain?

madness
06-18-2007, 07:15 PM
The only way I can justify this series is a potential away game in the South in 2008-09...Alabama, Tenn, Florida, Kentucky, Duke, UNC?????? What's up their sleeve?

MickMick
06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
If I had to pick two non-BCS conferences to play against it would be Missouri Valley or Conference USA. Their RPI holds up ok (for non-BCS).

What is the big deal anyways? The Zags have made the big dance for what? Eight or nine straight years? I think only one of those was an at-large bid. And if you are talking about seeding, the seeding advantage pretty much goes out the window once you reach the sweet 16.

And wasn't there a thread earlier about a potential matchup with Memphis with both teams undefeated? The hoopla of that game could certainly launch the Zags into the top 5 with a win. And aren't the Zags suppose to be even better the following year? (The year we go to UAB)

With respect to scheduling, I just don't want to see another year like last year. The 3,000 mile round trips for UNC, Duke, Virgina, Georgia. Not to mention Texas, Washington, Washington State, Nevada, Stanford, and Butler. Sheesh, no more schedules like that please.

CDC84
06-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Personally, I like the idea of UAB coming to K2 this year because it allows GU to play an opponent outside of the BCS leagues that will put up more of a challenge than a Big Sky school, but I am not sure if I like the idea of playing a return game in Birmingham. Seems like a high risk, low reward kind of deal to me. If Gonzaga has to travel that far, I would rather they play a top flight BCS school. I suppose there's a chance that GU could tie in the UAB trip with their trip to the Orlando area to play in the 2008 Old Spice Classic.

VaBeachZAG
06-19-2007, 08:52 AM
"... I would rather they play a top flight BCS school."

Wishing for "top flight" BCS schools to come to K2 won't make it happen. The fact of life is most (i.e., almost all BCS schools) either outright fear coming into K2, or at least they feel the risk/reward isn't sufficiently in their favor to make the visit. I hope the coaches and administration can find a way to get the big boys in K2, but it will be an extreme challenge. The severity of the challenge is illustrated by Alabama turning down a possible ESPN Game Day appearance because of abject fear of coming into K2. Yeah, I am sure Alabama asserts there were other reasons for not signing the contract to play - but my gut tells me they were just plain chicken!!

BobZag
06-19-2007, 09:25 AM
I thought I read that UAB was willing to do a 2 for 1 deal. Anyone recall that?

UAB will be better. Robert Vaden followed Mike Davis from Indiana to UAB, and he's a real nice guard. A deadly shooter. They could be a 2nd or 3rd place team in C-USA.

Okay, so home K2 tentative ooc schedule now is--

Idaho
WSU
PSU
Montana
Utah
UAB

It's looking lots better than last year, with Georgia in Spokane Arena.

Nevtelen
06-19-2007, 09:26 AM
It's fine that UAB is coming to K2. That's great. Better than a lot of the competition we'd get around here. But why are we giving them a return game? They're a buy game this next season for Wichita State. And we give them a home-and-home. There is no reason for us to travel 3000 miles to play a mid-level C-USA team. Maybe they'll blow up this year/next year and challenge Memphis for the C-USA championship and Few and Co will look like scheduling geniuses, but I'm not holding my breath.

It's not just us that can't get big BCS teams to play at our home arena - no one does. If you're UNC, why would you ever agree to play @Mich St (for example) unless you were forced to? Most of the big games before conference are at neutral sites like tourneys. I just hope we get someone good for the BiS, which is sort of "neutral".

CDC84
06-19-2007, 09:56 AM
"... I would rather they play a top flight BCS school." Wishing for "top flight" BCS schools to come to K2 won't make it happen. The fact of life is most (i.e., almost all BCS schools) either outright fear coming into K2, or at least they feel the risk/reward isn't sufficiently in their favor to make the visit. I hope the coaches and administration can find a way to get the big boys in K2, but it will be an extreme challenge. The severity of the challenge is illustrated by Alabama turning down a possible ESPN Game Day appearance because of abject fear of coming into K2. Yeah, I am sure Alabama asserts there were other reasons for not signing the contract to play - but my gut tells me they were just plain chicken!!

Any program that refuses to come to K2 based on the risk/reward factor needs to develop an ability to understand the RPI. A road loss at Gonzaga is not bad, and a win is a very good thing.

The risk/reward thing doesn't apply to high RPI programs. It applies to schools with non-NCAA tourney worthy RPI's. If you beat them, it isn't that big of a deal, but if you lose to them, it hurts badly. Duke, Arizona, North Carolina....none of these teams are going to see their RPI wrecked by playing a game at K2. That being said, it may be more profitable for them to bring a cupcake into their home arena. If it's a dollars and cents issue....that's a different story.

BTW...if the UAB deal is indeed a 2 for 1, I say go for it. Especially with UAB on the upside.

BobZag
06-19-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm hoping for a 2 for 1. That'd make total sense. Maybe renew the UGA series next year for a UAB-Georgia southern road trip. Miss St. is always clamoring for games as well.

ZagNative
06-19-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm hoping for a 2 for 1. That'd make total sense. Maybe renew the UGA series next year for a UAB-Georgia southern road trip. Miss St. is always clamoring for games as well.

The reference to the 2 for 1 was mentioned in the article linked in my post on this thread:
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=30720#post30720

Davis was talking generally about scheduling difficulties and, while not mentioning Gonzaga specifically, said he'd even go for a two-for-one.

MickMick
06-19-2007, 05:13 PM
"... I would rather they play a top flight BCS school."

Wishing for "top flight" BCS schools to come to K2 won't make it happen. The fact of life is most (i.e., almost all BCS schools) either outright fear coming into K2, or at least they feel the risk/reward isn't sufficiently in their favor to make the visit. I hope the coaches and administration can find a way to get the big boys in K2, but it will be an extreme challenge. The severity of the challenge is illustrated by Alabama turning down a possible ESPN Game Day appearance because of abject fear of coming into K2. Yeah, I am sure Alabama asserts there were other reasons for not signing the contract to play - but my gut tells me they were just plain chicken!!

After watching the local Pac-10 schools getting beaten in the kennel year after year, the rest of the BCS schools must view K2 with fear. Stanford, Washington, Washington State all regularly leave the kennel in the loss column. Who else of note? Virginia?

RebornZag
06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
A perfect game I think. Most GU fans felt that we needed an easier schedule next year, but that we needed some games at K2 that would be a level above the Big Sky Conference. UAB is a very good game. I think it will be quite interesting and entertaining for fans. Mike Davis is a very good coach, and I remember Vaden quite well. He lit Gonzaga up two years ago in the NCAA tournament. The kid can flat out shoot. I've always liked Mike Davis, and I"m glad GU has made a decision to play them. Davis is rebuilding a program that has fallen somewhat and needs help in scheduling some quality games. It's nice that we can do for them what other schools once did for GU.