PDA

View Full Version : Theo on Roster for Canada Basketball Tryouts

ZagNative
06-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Canada Basketball - News (http://www.basketball.ca/en/hm/inside.php?sid=1&id=1176)

(Toronto, Ontario) Canada Basketball has announced the rosters for the Senior and Development Menís National Team tryouts taking place this weekend. The tryouts will be held at Durham College in Oshawa, Ontario from Friday, June 15 to Monday, June 18.

The Senior Menís first competition will take place at the Pan American Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil from July 25 to July 29. They will then play an exhibition tournament in Argentina (Super 4 Tournament) and an exhibition tournament in Puerto Rico (Tuto Marchand Cup). Their final competition will be in Las Vegas, USA at the FIBA Olympic Qualification Tournament from August 22 to September 2.

The list includes 32 athletes in total, with 19 players having prior National Team experience. Other athletes with current professional commitments will be joining the team later in the summer.

The Development Men will train July 28-31 at Simon Fraser University, then attending the Universiade (FISU Games) taking place from August 7 to August 18 in Bangkok, Thailand.

Sean Dennison is also on the list.

BobZag
06-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Theo needs real games under his belt more than any Zag. It has been a long, long time since he has played in organized, competitive games. This will basically give him a headstart on shaking off the rust.

It's the best thing possible for Theo and for GU.

nonzagzag
06-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Anybody know if Robert Sacre was invited to this tryout? I thought he had at least played on the developmental national team or the junior national team in the past? Maybe he's just too excited to get to Spokane and start his zagprenticeship.

23dpg
06-18-2007, 08:20 PM
It looks like the youngest invitee is 20 years old. Rob is a couple of years away from making this team.

BBskorer
06-18-2007, 08:48 PM
I assume Rob would be in the FIBA U19 Worlds in Serbia next month (the same event Matt might play in). Just guessin', don't have a link. A little help? BZ? ZN? :)

canzag
06-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Former Pepperdine forward Willie Gallick is trying out as well.Good luck to Theo,hope he makes the team.

ZagNative
06-19-2007, 02:35 AM
BBskorer, if you couldn't find the U19 Canadian Basketball listings with your peerless nose for news, all is lost. No, I looked extensively for it but couldn't find a thing yet. I think Canada publishes the list late.

CDC84
06-19-2007, 08:15 AM
I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt Sacre would participate in any such thing this summer. He's going to be a freshman in college, and he has a lot of life adjustments to make. He needs to learn the GU system, get used to his teammates, and work with the staff on offensive skills, etc. He'll have plenty of chances to participate in FIBA events in the future.