PDA

View Full Version : Why I'd give Arop a few minutes

mgadfly
03-15-2011, 09:25 AM
This is now the Tsunami relief pledge thread. Enjoy ...

billyberu
03-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I can see Manny getting some playing time in this game as well. I'm not sure they'll come at the expense of Marquise, however. Keeping the turnovers down will be at a premium come Thursday and Marquise has performed admirably in this. Manny should get some minutes against St. Johns because he matches up well with their style of play.

Ezag
03-15-2011, 09:38 AM
That is a tough call. The team has pretty good chemistry right now and throwing in Arop could upset the balance. I would think he only gets in if things are going to well with the current line-ups during a game

webspinnre
03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
If he gets into the game, it'd likely be instead of some of Hart's minutes, as Hart's brand of defense might not be as crucial. At this point, whatever works.

cjm720
03-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Few has spent a majority of the season trying to figure out the line-up. No way his mixes it up now. We have the shortened line-up we (IMO) desperately needed to create a cohesive team unit, but why mess with the chemistry at this stage?

The good news is that we have some players that can step in and help out if we get in foul trouble.

My take on Manny, fwiw, is that he gets a bit lost on defense. He will be a splendid player some day, but Few has always been about winning NOW and other players stepped up to help get the Ws.

FuManShoes
03-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Few has spent a majority of the season trying to figure out the line-up. No way his mixes it up now. We have the shortened line-up we (IMO) desperately needed to create a cohesive team unit, but why mess with the chemistry at this stage?

+1. It's fine to speculate based on past performance, current matchup an dteh title path, but I keep coming back to this. Sure a team is an assembly of different talents and physical traits that compare differently based on opponent and need game experience, but in the end you need to function as a cohesive unit. You need an identity and a gameplan. That seems like the big lesson Few learned this year. The more he fussed with the lineup in an attempt to give everyone a chance or adapt to matchups, or both, the worse we did and the less we developed into a team. We aren't Belmont. We don't roll 12 guys out there in waves unless it's a blowout. I just don't see Few being the type to change the lineup now, especially when he has acknowledged that he messed up by not settling on a consistent lineup earlier.

mgadfly
03-15-2011, 10:03 AM

The good news is that we have some players that can step in and help out if we get in foul trouble.

My take on Manny, fwiw, is that he gets a bit lost on defense. He will be a splendid player some day, but Few has always been about winning NOW and other players stepped up to help get the Ws.

The second half of this is why I could see him getting minutes (and so I'm clear, I mean some of Hart/Oly NOT 15-20 minutes). (1) Few wants to win now. (2) Zone offense is less complicated than our sets and entries in our man offense (we will be running our zone offenses). (3) While Manny seems to lose his man from time to time, in the zone defense his length is helpful (we will probably run some 2-3). (4) He rebounds well and the opponent will be in zone.

I don't think chemistry gets upset when you shift 4 to 6 minutes from the 8th or 9th man to the 10th man in a rotation.

mgadfly
03-15-2011, 10:04 AM
What the hell is the point of these Manny threads? I like him a lot, and Few is a fair coach, there is a reason why he isn't seeing time on the court. Can we put this to bed? Please
Please

?

??

Beat the poo out of SJU!

Sorry, the thread title clearly identifies this as another Manny thread. Please practice a little restraint and not click the link.

mgadfly
03-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I just don't see Few being the type to change the lineup now, especially when he has acknowledged that he messed up by not settling on a consistent lineup earlier.

I do agree with you here. This season has been unusual in that so many different players have seen time on the court. Few has a rotation that he likes now, and he probably isn't going to mess with it. Probably shouldn't. But if there was ever a time to see what Manny could do, I think this is the right set of circumstances.

FuManShoes
03-15-2011, 10:10 AM
We should have some fun with this for a good cause. If Manny sees more than 5 minutes in the game I'll donate $5 to Japan relief (I've already donated some other money). Any Manny defenders want to take the challenge?

lothar98zag
03-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I had raisin bran for breakfast.

FuManShoes
03-15-2011, 10:18 AM
I'll one up you on this one, for every minute he plays I'll donate a buck to the Japan relief fund.

Good deal. I'm in.

U Zig, I Zag
03-15-2011, 10:20 AM
I am in too. Free Manny, help Japan.

#winning

gamagin
03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
if you get any closer to the underlying obsession with MA, & say it, you will get the padlock.

I'm beginning to think the real points are the only things worth reading on this topic: the motivation of those who can't stop maligning those Zags who have earned their p.t. the way all Zags earn their p.t.

Manny is but an example. The process is what's continually questioned. And indirectly (if you follow this backassward logic) trashing those ahead of him is the complaint. That is crass to me.

It's a fundamental failure to see what is going on and why (you don't have to like it) that is at issue here and keeps boiling up. Why is THAT ?

lothar98zag
03-15-2011, 10:24 AM
How about pledging $40 to Japan and then reducing it for every minute Manny plays?

That way Japan get's $39 from everyone that pledges.

lothar98zag
03-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't eat breakfast, but I'm going to lunch with my wife right now.

I did poop this morning before work, so that's something.
There has not yet been a trip to stall #2 for Lothar today.

gamagin
03-15-2011, 10:26 AM
How about pledging $40 to Japan and then reducing it for every minute Manny plays?

That way Japan get's $39 from everyone that pledges.

if you will.

DixieZag
03-15-2011, 10:35 AM
if you get any closer to the underlying obsession with MA, & say it, you will get the padlock.

I'm beginning to think the real points are the only things worth reading on this topic: the motivation of those who can't stop maligning those Zags who have earned their p.t. the way all Zags earn their p.t.

Manny is but an example. The process is what's continually questioned. And indirectly (if you follow this backassward logic) trashing those ahead of him is the complaint. That is crass to me.

It's a fundamental failure to see what is going on and why (you don't have to like it) that is at issue here and keeps boiling up. Why is THAT ?

I think it keeps coming up b/c Manny has made some incredible plays during his time here and some of them in very key situations, I don't know how many offensive putbacks he has made that seemed to be at just the right time - - so their is a group that is very loyal to him and wants to see him get some minutes. I suppose it is possible that he could see time in this game, it is the type that he does well in.

I also see why people are tired of beating this topic to death - if you are sick of it, don't read it, but don't chastise people who write it, it is a fan board, that is what happens on a board. If you think this is bad, go to the Texas football board. Lets not attack each other about it.

One thing though, the "Free Manny" sign on senior night was hilarious.

primal23
03-15-2011, 10:39 AM
Another thread like this makes me say Oy' :bishop_smiley::horse::boxing:

gamagin
03-15-2011, 10:47 AM
I think it keeps coming up b/c Manny has made some incredible plays during his time here and some of them in very key situations, I don't know how many offensive putbacks he has made that seemed to be at just the right time - - so their is a group that is very loyal to him and wants to see him get some minutes. I suppose it is possible that he could see time in this game, it is the type that he does well in.

I also see why people are tired of beating this topic to death - if you are sick of it, don't read it, but don't chastise people who write it, it is a fan board, that is what happens on a board. If you think this is bad, go to the Texas football board. Lets not attack each other about it.

One thing though, the "Free Manny" sign on senior night was hilarious.

the same folks who bring up the same thing, nothing new, and start over, usually at times when the wails can be heard from a greater distance ?

How many times does an otherwise intelligent group need to read the same thing ? I enter looking for discussion. I'm hoping to learn something. Instead I hear wailing and gnashing of virtual teeth.

That's not discussion. I can't unread it or I would. I respect the GUB enough to think folks wouldn't really just repeat the same old stuff until it gains traction, and get away with it. Do you understand that ?

I'm a bit puzzled at the notion that it's okay to trash those who have got us here but not ok to criticize those who claim to not understand why so and so isn't getting p.t. when it has been explained well over a dozen times ?

That said, I'm always interested and very hopeful when MA gets in to a game. I figure he's shown something to the coaches and teammates and can contribute. I still feel that way. He does have potential.

But in the meantime, those who are in the position MA would like to be in, and playing their hearts out and winning, deserve more p.t. and they are getting it.

p.s. I, too, thought the Free Manny shirt was genius.

lothar98zag
03-15-2011, 10:49 AM
I think it keeps coming up b/c Manny has made some incredible plays during his time here...
Every once in a while my 5 yr old son will catch a basball that's thrown to him. But that doesn't make him a great baseball player.

U Zig, I Zag
03-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Every once in a while my 5 yr old son will catch a basball that's thrown to him. But that doesn't make him a great baseball player.

Baseball? All you need is this:
http://www.shlambos.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/phiten.jpg

lothar98zag
03-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Baseball? All you need is this:
http://www.shlambos.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/phiten.jpg
will that also keep me from falling down in malls when people pull down on my arms?

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Let me know when your son gets a D1 schollie to a major program then gets benched cause all he does is catch the ball.

:) All in jest right?

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 11:29 AM
the same folks who bring up the same thing, nothing new, and start over, usually at times when the wails can be heard from a greater distance ?

How many times does an otherwise intelligent group need to read the same thing ? I enter looking for discussion. I'm hoping to learn something. Instead I hear wailing and gnashing of virtual teeth.

That's not discussion. I can't unread it or I would. I respect the GUB enough to think folks wouldn't really just repeat the same old stuff until it gains traction, and get away with it. Do you understand that ?

I'm a bit puzzled at the notion that it's okay to trash those who have got us here but not ok to criticize those who claim to not understand why so and so isn't getting p.t. when it has been explained well over a dozen times ?

That said, I'm always interested and very hopeful when MA gets in to a game. I figure he's shown something to the coaches and teammates and can contribute. I still feel that way. He does have potential.

But in the meantime, those who are in the position MA would like to be in, and playing their hearts out and winning, deserve more p.t. and they are getting it.

p.s. I, too, thought the Free Manny shirt was genius.

Its pretty clear, you dont like it, dont read it bud. Let those of us who want to see MA plea for more PT, while you hide behind your blind faith of coach knows best.

We'll continue to gripe about it as long as we can. Why? Because we're fans, short for fanatic. This was a reasonable thread till some people blew it open.

Free Manny was a great sign btw

U Zig, I Zag
03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
will that also keep me from falling down in malls when people pull down on my arms?

yes!

former1dog
03-15-2011, 11:37 AM
Gamagin = Old Man Who Says "You damn kids get out of my yard!"

The Rest of the us, "Dude, this isn't your yard."

Bottom line, QUIT TELLING EVERYONE WHAT TO POST OR NOT TO POST. IT ISN'T UP TO YOU. The sooner you come to peace with that, the slower your slide to irrelevant sideshow will become.

FuManShoes
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm looking forward to the intelligent conversations to be had should the Zags fall short of a national championship. So let me be the first to say, "We could have won it all if only Few had played Manny!"

http://seemslegit.com/_images/e552d8d02b4f272b21a891218483f921/1093%20-%20girl%20hindsight%20stars%20tattoo.jpg

gamagin
03-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Its pretty clear, you dont like it, dont read it bud. Let those of us who want to see MA plea for more PT, while you hide behind your blind faith of coach knows best.

We'll continue to gripe about it as long as we can. Why? Because we're fans, short for fanatic. This was a reasonable thread till some people blew it open.

Free Manny was a great sign btw

perhaps you could learn to read what was written before posting.

Attempting to point out (even insisting it be part of the mix) what Few says about MA and others is not hiding behind him. Those who ignore it repeatedly need to grow some skin. Or better yet, learn to read.

former1dog
03-15-2011, 11:49 AM
perhaps you could learn to read what was written before posting.

Perhaps you could learn some manners and some civility?

lothar98zag
03-15-2011, 11:59 AM
ok.

anyone want to try starting a 3rd Manny thread?

also, gamagin - stop making it personal. you add a lot of good thoughts to this board. I wouldn't want to lose your BANter for a day or two - especially this week.