PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Guards?

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Most of the commentary I've read appears to give the nod to SJU in the guard department. I haven't seen Mr. Hardy play, and undoubtedly he is a fine basketball player.

But, I think the Zags give up little or nothing when it comes to guards. Meech, Stockton, Carter and Gray---all 4 are quick, athletic, and smart. All 4 are playing well right now. And so far this season, they have seen guards as good as, and even better than, the SJU guards.

If it ends up coming down to the guards, I like our chances.

What sayeth you?

SJUBall
03-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Most of the commentary I've read appears to give the nod to SJU in the guard department. I haven't seen Mr. Hardy play, and undoubtedly he is a fine basketball player.

But, I think the Zags give up little or nothing when it comes to guards. Meech, Stockton, Carter and Gray---all 4 are quick, athletic, and smart. All 4 are playing well right now. And so far this season, they have seen guards as good as, and even better than, the SJU guards.

If it ends up coming down to the guards, I like our chances.

What sayeth you?

Who have they seen that is as good as or better than Dwight Hardy???

NEC26
03-13-2011, 08:22 PM

Terrel Holloway, Mickey Mconnol, Jacob Pullen, Ben Hansborough, off the top of my head.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Jacob Pullen, K-State, would be one that comes immediately to mind. Pre-season All-American. Full package deal.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-13-2011, 08:27 PM

I believe Kevin Foster for Santa Clara is just as good if not better, he lit us up for 36 in one game and 27 in the other ...of course St. Johns has a better supporting cast!

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Terrel Holloway, Mickey Mconnol, Jacob Pullen, Ben Hansborough, off the top of my head.

Thanks NEC, and all of these guys, too.

SJUBall
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I believe Foster for Santa Clara is just as good ...of course St. Johns has a better supporting cast!

You guys are extremely naive. Hardy had 26 vs Duke this year, 33 vs Uconn, 28 vs Marquette, 34 vs Villanova amongst other games. I don't need to do the talking. Hardy will.

NEC26
03-13-2011, 08:35 PM
You guys are extremely naive. Hardy had 26 vs Duke this year, 33 vs Uconn, 28 vs Marquette, 34 vs Villanova amongst other games. I don't need to do the talking. Hardy will.

And you are an extremely arrogant typical Big East fan who thinks that because you play in the big east no one else compares. Yes Hardy is good, no Gonzaga will not shut him down, but this does not equate to an automatic Johnnie win sorry to say.

CDC84
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
I would probably give the backcourt edge to St. John's to start the game. No matter how much Stockton and Carter have improved over the past month, it's been against non-BCS teams. It remains to be seen how they will be perform against the guards of St. John's. Do I like their chances against the Red Storm guards more than I did back in January? Certainly.

To me, Gonzaga doesn't need to win "the battle of the guards" to win this game. The guards just need to be good enough to allow Gonzaga's frontcourt to assert its influence. If they perform badly, any advantage that GU might have in the paint won't mean as much.

hondo
03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
" I don't need to do the talking."

That will work fine for me.

john montana
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Sju is better than us in the backcourt. What worries me about this matchup is that sju is a nightmare scenario for David Stockton...just the kind of team that gives him trouble and we all know how important Stockton is to GU.

EuroZag2010
03-13-2011, 08:41 PM
It feels like it has that feel the little mid major Gonzaga and a Saint Johns team that has 3 NBA players on it and everyone leaving Gonzaga out.

I hope zags can shock the world again and beat SJU. Like we did back in the day when they were the 2 seed.

Lets Go ZAGS!!!:pray:

El Voce
03-13-2011, 08:43 PM

SJU Ball, get over yourself a little bit. After reading all your assorted posts, it seems that the Zags shouldn't even bother showing up. That's why they play the games, though, I suppose.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Just curious---do you think Pullen of K-State is as good or better than Hardy?

Don't discount an important fact---most of the players on this Zags team have been in this tournament before, some multiple times. They've seen some pretty good guards. Remember Stephen Curry---Davidson? Ty Lawson---UNC? I'm sure Hardy is a very good guard, but he likely isn't the best this Zags team has encountered (and had to learn some hard lessons from).

GeorgiaZagFan
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM

I forgot Klay Thomson ...most mock NBA drafts have him going in the first round as well as Kawhi Leonard from SDSU. LaceDarius Dunn for Baylor is often projected in the 2nd round. Where is Hardy projected in the NBA draft?

sullyzag66
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
No question, Zags have faced some very talented guards this year. Unfortunately, most of the players mentioned above were on teams that bested the Zags.

ZagsObserver
03-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Put me in the very concerned camp. They are excellent at pressing and drawing turnovers, which could be a problem for Gray, Stockton and Carter. They also do an excellent job of keeping the ball out of the paint by denying entry passes and such. Meech has trouble making the entry pass as is. I Just don't see how our guards can be effective against St. Johns.

In order for us to beat St. John's, and even their board members said as much, we need to knock down 3's. If we cannot knock down threes to spread the court and allow us to get the ball inside, we don't win. That's not a particularly strong part of Gonzaga's offense.

Reborn
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I would not define St. John's as a 3 point shooting team, and that bodes well for Gonzaga. Most games that I looked at, they made 3 or four and sometimes less, and they don't shoot a lot of 3's. St. John's is a tough team, and they have a lot of seniors. They will be more like San Diego St then anyone else. The key for St John's is their tough defense. They are not overly tall. Their post players are 6'8" but Im sure they are athletic. Hardy is not a 3 point shooter like Dunn. He's just very athletic.

Gonzaga can beat St. John's. St. John's can beat Gonzaga. Like CDC said, that's why we play the games. I like what Doug Gottlieb said when he said St. John's is probably the better team, but he felt that Gonzaga would win. WE only need to be better than St. John's for one game. I know one thing for sure, and that is that Gonzaga will not be afraid of St. John's. The Zags are ready for this game.

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I believe Kevin Foster for Santa Clara is just as good if not better, he lit us up for 36 in one game and 27 in the other ...of course St. Johns has a better supporting cast!

You mean the same Kevin Foster who shot UNDER 40% from the floor this season...? That, my friend, is the definition of a "chucker." Although I admit he played great against us in Cali.

I love me some David Stockton, but IMO, this is a game for Meech. We flat out NEED his elite quickness and defensive ability. This is another chance for Meech to save our butts in an NCAA tournament game.

CDC84
03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Lavin getting Dunlap and Keady on his staff was a brilliant move on his part. Don't let the same dog bite you twice. He learned his lesson. One of the big problems Lavin had at UCLA was his staff. The assistants simply didn't have the experience and proven expertise that he needed as a young head coach at a powerhouse program.

zagfan08
03-14-2011, 02:33 AM
Alright first off, I wonder how fans across the nation look at us when someone mentions Kevin Foster and Dwight Hardy in the same breath. St. Johns fans, not all of us are that naive. Hardy is really, really good.

My biggest worry is that Stockton and Carter, two important pieces in our mid-season turnaround, are unknowns in this game. They can play well against WCC level competition but I'm a little worried they'll be in over their head Thursday. As long as they don't completely screw up we'll be right there, but I agree with a previous poster that Meech needs to have a good game and probably play a lot of minutes.

Hoopaholic
03-14-2011, 02:33 AM
DS ...MUST stay out of foul trouble, his has to play position basketball not cheating basketball that he got away with in league play. If he plays smart, position and does not reach he can remain out of foul trouble. Otherwise it will be long night as all three SJ guards attack the basket very well and are extremely adept at going to the rim in open court

DG has to be sharp in his passing on offense. His defense and ball handling will be a plus, but SJ in their matchup zone loves to play gaps and antiicpate the pass into the post..which at times this year has not bode well for DG especially when he hesitates or looks over his shoulder about being pulled.

SG and MC will both need to be effective (not sharp or hot just effective) from the 3 point line when the opportunity arises and IT WILL arise as I think SJ will double down from weakside in their matchup zone against our superior inside game

Kelly will play a huge part of this game as his outside threat and his HI LOW passing skills will come into play against SJ weak part of their matchup

Sacre, Harris and Dower need to bring their game and stay out of foul trouble against Brownlee who will pull them out of the paint and is quick in taking the ball to the hole (personally I anticipate them attacking Sacre to try and get him in foul trouble but it may back fire if Sacre is on his game defensively)

Hardy is a good guard and has gone off in many games, but on the same token he has had some turnover issues throughout the year. Will be interesting to see who starts on him

Guards must hold their own for us to come up with the big win

jazzdelmar
03-14-2011, 04:47 AM
Hardy is all that. A hair under Kemba. But that's just one spot. He could beat GU himself I suppose, but not likely. Keeping the springy SJ forwards at bay is key and finally getting the Zags offense in synch is also. A very winnable game.

Baldwinzag
03-14-2011, 07:41 AM
I will get ripped for this, yet I have a feeling David Stockton receives less than 10 mins vs St Johns, while Meech receives double the mins he's been receiving in WCC play.

St John's full-court/trap defense makes Duke's pressure "wing" defense or even Syracuse's match-up zone seem like puppy chow.

They are relentless. If you have ESPN3, take a moment to watch a replay of one of their many games they won(and won BIG).

They didn't accomplish all those key-note wins through pretty offense, b/c their half court offense is erratic & based solely on strength/athleticism, which never impresses all that much.

They won with unbelievable full-court, high risk defense that lead to double-digit steals, fast break dunks, and forcing the other team to play their game.

St John's made Duke's guards run for the hills. Same applies to other teams with some of the best guards in the Country i.e. Pitt looked sloppy, Villanova's guards looked atrocious vs SJ's, the list goes on...

David Stockton is smart, savvy, fundamentally sound, but he will be over-matched in this particular game. He hasn't seen enough or strong enough--yet. Their 200+lb guards will trap & hound all game long. This is the type of game we need our guards to push the ball quickly, efficiently, and with strength through their traps. Meech, Steven Gray, Marquise need to out-quick, and don't be afraid of contact b/c they do get called for fouls w/the right officiating. We must FORCE the contact in some instances. Its our only chance to overcome their type of defense.

I will say I have never seen defense executed like St John's is playing this season. They literally made the best guards in the country look very bad and overmatched. This is where Meech is one of our best assets -- this type of team and game. Coach Few mentioned we haven't face a "pressure defense" such as Missouri's all year long. Well, he's right and while St John's is not "40 mins of full-court hell" such as Missouri, I'd argue it looks better than Missouri's and more effective, especially from half-court on...its not uncommone for a St john's guard to rack up 5-6 steals in a single game.

Having said that, if we can somehow advance in the Tourney David Stockton will regain the helm at PG and once again play 25+ mins vs the BYUs, Floridas, any other team for that matter besides St John's/Missouri. Stockton will lead us to great heights and run the offense w/poise, smarts, and heart, but St J's won't let him dribble this game, just watch. He has quickly become my favorite player, but he hasn't seen anything like he's about to play against, while Meech/Gray have...

IF our guards can somehow find a way to break their press, avoid getting trapped, and pass the ball to our bigs, we'll be in great shape. UCLA did a great job spreading St John's out and bringing 4 guys to bring the ball up the court(teams are that paranoid vs their defense) and got the ball to their big man--Josh Smith--who tore them up underneath. St John's tallest player is 6'8" and their interior defense is lacking. They are tremendous rebounders and crash the boards very well, but they can't seem to defend solid post moves/players for an extended period.

However, the majority of teams are unable to set up their half-court offense to begin with, so most post players are an after-thought anyway...

Our guards must come ready to battle all game long or the game will be over by half-time. They must make smart, crisp passes and NEVER pick-up their dribble unless they are passing to another or don't have a choice. Our bigs must come ready to rebound, get good position, and be patient b/c St John's will be all over our guards all game long. Once our post player receive the ball, MAKE IT COUNT. Sacre/Dower/Harris may only get 4-5 shot attempts all game long, just be efficient and value every possession against this team.

As long as we limit the Turnovers and/or steals, we'll slow their transition and won't have much problem defending their half-court save Dwight Hardy. He's like Tu Holloway(Xavier) but much more active and strong. We must contain him or he'll score 20 pts in 4 mins, not kidding. Once he gets rolling, no team in the Big East could slow him down...he looks just as talented as Kemba Walker when I reviewed their game tapes.

St John's looks/plays much better than a 6-seed, imo. They won 12 games in the Big-East for a reason, primarily defensive reasons, but they are still talented enough on offense to score on anyone. They are a step above Marquette, and are more similar in personel to Florida St of last year's 1st Round game, only FSU didn't full-court trap press us around every turn, St J's will do just that and do it quite well...

Zagdawg
03-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Good post.

I love David--but I can see what you mean.

If we change up and have someone other than a guard try to bring the ball downcourt-- who is a good option?

bigblahla
03-14-2011, 08:37 AM
I have a feeling David Stockton receives less than 10 mins vs St Johns, while Meech receives double the mins he's been receiving in WCC play

Great post and from the outside looking in it makes sense but the alternate view is..... this is the game that the tough dirty little gym rat who's mind seems to process situations before they happen has a coming out party in front of a national audience and the Johnnies guards get frustrated with this diminutive mosquito who keeps getting in their way disrupting their game and in the end sends them back to the city wondering. Who's his daddy?

Go!! Zags!!!

GeorgiaZagFan
03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=NewLookZag;651268]You mean the same Kevin Foster who shot UNDER 40% from the floor this season...? That, my friend, is the definition of a "chucker." Although I admit he played great against us in Cali.

Both guards but different style players....Foster shot twice as many threes as Hardy (318 to 168) but their points per shot were pretty close! I like the fact that Hardy has more turnovers than assists!

The question was asked if we had faced any guards as good as Hardy and I believe we have (Dunn, Klay Thompson, Foster, guy from Illinois, etc) problem is that most of them had really good games against us. The fact is that Hardy I believe is more of a slasher and could make a living at the free throw line against our guards.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-14-2011, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=Baldwinzag;651361]I will get ripped for this, yet I have a feeling David Stockton receives less than 10 mins vs St Johns, while Meech receives double the mins he's been receiving in WCC play.

If that happens we get beat by 20! You don't beat a press by dribbling...you beat a press by great passing and that is what Stockton gives you. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Meech and Stockton in there for some extended periods of time with Gray and Carter alternating at the 3 and Harris, Sacre and Dower alternating down low.

rawkmandale
03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
We might see Mike Hart getting decent minutes guarding Hardy. Thoughts?

SJUBall
03-14-2011, 05:27 PM
FWIW, Dwight Hardy was named a Wooden Award Finalist today.

NewLookZag
03-14-2011, 06:27 PM
FWIW, Dwight Hardy was named a Wooden Award Finalist today.

We're doomed.

DoItForDJ
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Paris Horne is the other guard. One of the better defensive players in the Big East. He also put up 15 points a game in the Big East his sophomore year but like Kennedy has stepped back his role when Brownlee and Hardy have come along. I'm hoping he can pick up some of Kennedy's scoring slack.

That being said If we have an advantage it's not much. Gray is really good...I'm surprised Goodson hasn't developed more this year. I was expecting more from him after seeing him last year. Don't know much about Carter or Stockton.

Is Gray your best perimeter defender?

GeorgiaZagFan
03-14-2011, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=zagfan08;651299]Alright first off, I wonder how fans across the nation look at us when someone mentions Kevin Foster and Dwight Hardy in the same breath. St. Johns fans, not all of us are that naive. Hardy is really, really good.

Hardy is not even listed in the top 20 of shooting guards for the upcoming NBA draft! I believe Klay Thompson is a much better overall player!

gamagin
03-14-2011, 08:06 PM
but I don't think Few is going to do anything drastic in his lineup. Unless obvious matchup problems develop. Or we get in to foul trouble.

With the time he has to prepare for this one, everyone right on through keita MM & MA, I believe, will be instructed to be ready to jump in and fill in a specific role if/when needed. There should be plenty of motivation to be ready. This is IT.

Otherwise we're going to plan to play our game better than they play theirs. We're inside out and they will be driving inside, right at our bigs & daring us to stop them.

My hope is we utilize our numerous guards and press them, make them waste time getting to half court and generally keep the pressure on for 40 minutes. Few mentioned recently he might have the Zags work on playing against the press. I hope he also did a little prep for the possibility of pressing. We can get really good at disrupting teams at the half court. Why not a little sooner ?

We have enough guards used to seeing valuable minutes, on regular rotations, to do this, starting with Meech & SG, DS, MC, Hart, Keita etc etc., while the bigs hold the fort, draw charging fouls and make shooting as difficult as possible on D and shoot over the top and drive on O.

SG, EH & RS need to take charge and the rest, like KO, SD need to be ready for quality defense and smart positioning around the basket.

75Zag
03-15-2011, 07:20 AM
If the SJ / GU game turns into a battle of the guards, GU will be one and done and I will have four Saturday tickets for sale cheap or free to St. John's fans.

GU has size and experience up front. If they don't use that as their primary tool against SJ, I will be very disappointed.

See you at the Cheeky Monk!

Go Bulldogs!

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 07:30 AM
We might see Mike Hart getting decent minutes guarding Hardy. Thoughts?

Geez, I hope not...

rawkmandale
03-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Something wrong with using the guy Mark Few calls "our best defender by far" on the most productive opponent?

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 07:35 AM
[QUOTE=zagfan08;651299]Alright first off, I wonder how fans across the nation look at us when someone mentions Kevin Foster and Dwight Hardy in the same breath. St. Johns fans, not all of us are that naive. Hardy is really, really good.

Hardy is not even listed in the top 20 of shooting guards for the upcoming NBA draft! I believe Klay Thompson is a much better overall player!

I think Hardy will give us fits. He's more of a Tu Holloway type guard than a Klay Thompson guard. Hardy and Klay are much different players, cant really compare the two of them. I think Hansboro is more like Klay than Hardy as well. I think Foster is a good comparison to Hardy. Notice i didnt say equal, but type wise, they are similar, strong and assertive.

To answer the question about Gray being our top perimeter defender, yes, he is sorta. Typically Goodsen will get the defensive assignment against quick opposing PG's.

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 07:35 AM
Something wrong with using the guy Mark Few calls "our best defender by far" on the most productive opponent?

Yea. 4 on 5 in the tourney, thats what wrong. Not the time to be putting our season at risk with Hart IMO.

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 07:38 AM

Also, I dont know, nor claim to know what Mark Few thinks. But I dont honestly think he thinks Hart is our best defender. I think he's a good player who could develop in to another great role player when he gets confidence on the offensive side, but thats another topic for another day.

Again, just my opinion with our season on the line. And I dont want to hear I trust Few knows best with...blah blah blah. I trust Few too, I just wont be comfortable with it everything he does.

BJZags
03-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Yea. 4 on 5 in the tourney, thats what wrong. Not the time to be putting our season at risk with Hart IMO.

If Hart can play lock-down D on their best player, and can set screens and get people open on offense, I'm not sure it is 4 on 5.

rawkmandale
03-15-2011, 07:40 AM
Hart reminds me a lot of Mike Nilson, and that's a good thing.

Remember Mike N? He even looks like Mike H:

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/nilson_mike00.html

rawkmandale
03-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Here is Hart's bio. Note he is an inch taller, and had the same GPA (3.7)!

http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/hart_mike00.html

Oh, BTW, that is a direct quote from Coach Few in the last few days.

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 07:46 AM
If Hart can play lock-down D on their best player, and can set screens and get people open on offense, I'm not sure it is 4 on 5.

Ha Ha...Yea, Hart is not locking down Hardy. Hardy is not Dellavadova or Foster or Viney.

Lets just agree to disagree on Hart and move on.

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Oh, BTW, that is a direct quote from Coach Few in the last few days.

Dont doubt that it is, I just dont buy it.

zag944
03-15-2011, 07:55 AM

There are problems with having an extremely limited offensive player on the court no matter how good he is on defense.

I think our squad is pretty good defensively top to bottom. Even Stockton has made up for his defecincies by getting better at gambling in passing lanes, etc.

No problems with Hart being in on d when its in that "free throw/time out every 15 seconds" portion of the game of course.

Reborn
03-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Hardy reminds me of Delladedova actually. He's a very good penetrator and is off and on from beyond the 3 point line. I think Gonzaga has had great experience playing very good guards. I don't think St. John's guards match up to St. Mary's if you want my opinion. They have no one who is close to being the point guard that Micky McConnell is. From what I'm seeing they really don't have a lot of outside shooters. Nothing like St. Marys has in McConnell, Delladedova and Jones. Is Brownlee better than Jones? I don't think so. I know Brownlee has not been a guard, but will now be put into the role of a wing player since Kenndy got hurt.

Do the Zags have an offensive scorer who's as good as Hardy? No. But we are talking about guards. Not one guard. And anyway, the Zags strength in scoring is with our post players, unless Carter and Gray get hot.

titopoet
03-15-2011, 08:08 AM

Okay how about Meech and Gray facing Kemba Walker twice? Remember Gray lit up the Uconn guards two years ago. Gray has faced better guards in his career at GU that Hardy. Heck Gray has had to face Curry, you starting NBA guard? Yes Hardy is great, but to say that the Zags haven't face players as good as him is really not knowing their history.

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 08:12 AM
Okay how about Meech and Gray facing Kemba Walker twice? Remember Gray lit up the Uconn guards two years ago. Gray has faced better guards in his career at GU that Hardy. Heck Gray has had to face Curry, you starting NBA guard? Yes Hardy is great, but to say that the Zags haven't face players as good as him is really not knowing their history.

That is very naive, Walker is without a doubt in the discussion as the best guard (point, shooter, slasher, whatever) in the country this year. Gray has never faced anyone as talented as him, save Curry, when Gray was a Fr and not known as our best perimeter defender. And honestly, Id stack Walker up toe to toe with Curry. They're entirely different players with some similarities, but not the same at all. Walker is twice the player this year as he was last and the year before.

Hardy will be a challenge, but one of the best we've seen this year to date IMO.

Dirt McGirt
03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
wait. Is Hardy the guy that only had 7 points against the slow white guards of SMC?

titopoet
03-15-2011, 11:54 AM
That is very naive, Walker is without a doubt in the discussion as the best guard (point, shooter, slasher, whatever) in the country this year. Gray has never faced anyone as talented as him, save Curry, when Gray was a Fr and not known as our best perimeter defender. And honestly, Id stack Walker up toe to toe with Curry. They're entirely different players with some similarities, but not the same at all. Walker is twice the player this year as he was last and the year before.

Hardy will be a challenge, but one of the best we've seen this year to date IMO.

That is my point, Gray has face Kemba, and several other players of his caliber: Kalin Lucas preinjury . TO say that the GU guards have never seen a player like Hardy is hardly keeping up with the facts.

paz
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
wait. Is Hardy the guy that only had 7 points against the slow white guards of SMC?

Here's is Hardy's game log: Hardy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=45962)

He started the year in a brutal shooting slump. Since the Duke game, he's averaging 23 ppg and shooting 49% from the field and 43% from behind the arc.

SJUBall
03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Zags fans fail to realize that the SJU vs St marys is a poor barometer. 10 seniors in their first game with a new coaching staff, having never played a zone d in their prior 3 years. An entirely new offense installed few weeks prior. SJU is not even close to the same team that started the season, just learning new offenses, defenses and a new staff.

Against Kemba, Hardy dropped 33 5/8 from 3. SJU also did a great Jon containing Kemba, who had 15 points that game. Hardy is underrated as a shooter. He's a sniper, but also a threat off the dribble.

Dirt McGirt
03-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Here's is Hardy's game log: Hardy (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/gamelog?playerId=45962)

He started the year in a brutal shooting slump. Since the Duke game, he's averaging 23 ppg and shooting 49% from the field and 43% from behind the arc.

2 things. 1) I should note that I'm a St. Mary's fan, so don't take anything I say as a representative of what Gonzaga's fans think.

2) It looks like when he has off nights (12 points or less) the Red storm generally lose.

Dirt McGirt
03-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Zags fans fail to realize that the SJU vs St marys is a poor barometer. 10 seniors in their first game with a new coaching staff, having never played a zone d in their prior 3 years. An entirely new offense installed few weeks prior. SJU is not even close to the same team that started the season, just learning new offenses, defenses and a new staff.

Against Kemba, Hardy dropped 33 5/8 from 3. SJU also did a great Jon containing Kemba, who had 15 points that game. Hardy is underrated as a shooter. He's a sniper, but also a threat off the dribble.

I've said that here before. If SMC and St. John's played again right now, I suspect SJ would win by 10.