PDA

View Full Version : "Working on Pressure Defense"

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
On the Tuesday after his team beat SMC for the conference tournament, on the Scott Van Pelt show, Coach Few was asked what he could work on with his team when they did not know who they were going to face. Coach Few said it was funny b/c they were talking about that "last night" (hrs after beating SMC) and they decided they needed to work on facing a team that played high pressure, full court defense - a team like Mizzou.

Today, we here that we have drawn St. John's (a team just a wee bit better than I think we thought we would have to play) known for their up tempo pressure defense.

Given that we have not really faced many teams like that (SDSU maybe?) - and not many that play Zone as a base (though in the raw video, Coach said we have handled Zone well), I wonder how our newcomers will do against the up tempo, physical defense. Stocks, Carter, Gray - - Meech has the speed/strength but he needs to pick his spots.

CDC84
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
I have not seen St. John's play a lot, but they don't seem to employ an all out, baseline to baseline "40 minutes of hell" full court press like Mizzou does. I think what worried Few was having to face a team like Mizzou because while all teams will employ a full court press from time to time, not many teams do it like the Tigers where it is full court, all the time, regardless of what the score is.

FuManShoes
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
St. John's is forcing 24 TOs a game (or at any rate their opponents averaged that much), good enough for 13th best in the country. I'm concerned.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 08:47 PM
St. John's is forcing 24 TOs a game (or at any rate their opponents averaged that much), good enough for 13th best in the country. I'm concerned.

TO's will be a big deal. But the Zags depth will go a long ways in offsetting pressure defense---which takes a lot of energy---at mile high altitude.

Reborn
03-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I have the St. John's vs Syracuse game in the Big East tournament recorded and watched it a couple of times already. St. John's uses all out full-court preassure only occasionally, and now with Kennedy out they will use it less. They did not press as much after he got hurt the other day. They play a match-up zone with man to man preasssure defense principles. Their defensive goal is to speed you up, and Gonzaga must counter that with controlled offensive sets, which they can do. Over the last month Gonzaga has become a very disciplined offensive team that moves the ball well. The more we move the ball and MAKE THEIR DEFENSE WORK, the better is our chance of winning. When we move the ball it will eventually tire them out. They will NOT want to work that hard. They WANT teams to shoot quickly and get into a running game. I really don't think Gonzaga will have problems with the press, but may have some with their PREASURE ZONE. Taking care of the ball will be one of the most important things in this game.

bballbeachbum
03-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I have the St. John's vs Syracuse game in the Big East tournament recorded and watched it a couple of times already. St. John's uses all out full-court preassure only occasionally, and now with Kennedy out they will use it less. They did not press as much after he got hurt the other day. They play a match-up zone with man to man preasssure defense principles. Their defensive goal is to speed you up, and Gonzaga must counter that with controlled offensive sets, which they can do. Over the last month Gonzaga has become a very disciplined offensive team that moves the ball well. The more we move the ball and MAKE THEIR DEFENSE WORK, the better is our chance of winning. When we move the ball it will eventually tire them out. They will NOT want to work that hard. They WANT teams to shoot quickly and get into a running game. I really don't think Gonzaga will have problems with the press, but may have some with their PREASURE ZONE. Taking care of the ball will be one of the most important things in this game.

thanks

paz
03-15-2011, 01:38 AM
St. John's uses all out full-court preassure only occasionally, and now with Kennedy out they will use it less.

Yes to the first part, but not so sure about the second. They've favored a passive press all year, primarily with Horne and Hardy pressuring in the backcourt. The times that they really upped the intensity usually occurred when Malik Boothe and/or Malik Stith was in the game, something that will happen much more with Kennedy out. If you see a Louisville-style full-court press, it will be when they go small with Boothe/Hardy/Horne.