• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

best game in first rd?

is gu-sju best game in first, er, 2nd round? some 8-9s are good as well but in terms of national interest this is the one, imo. two well known programs and evenly matched. then, in the 2/3 rd, the gu/sju-byu game will be dynamite. dont tell me cbs isnt in the room when they make these brackets.....
  • ZagMan in Philly
    Zag for Life
    • Apr 2007

Zags vs Redmen is more like a 8 vs 9 seed game, this will go down to the wire, and the team that can hit FTs will win...I like our chances, and it is the best game in the first round for me..and it is on at a good time 945pm eastern, so most of the nation will get to watch it.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

prime

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post
      Zags vs Redmen is more like a 8 vs 9 seed game, this will go down to the wire, and the team that can hit FTs will win...I like our chances, and it is the best game in the first round for me..and it is on at a good time 945pm eastern, so most of the nation will get to watch it.
      this appears to be THE prime time game in the first full day....prob CBS.....a little late but not for the city that never sleeps.....stop hardy! carter could be big.....sju losing dj kennedy is akin to gu losing gray; not fatal but flawing.

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ZagMan in Philly View Post

Throw the seeds out, this is like a classic second round game between a 6 and a 3 - both teams thinking they deserve to go much further forward. It sure does seem like it will be the national game - the latest game of the day for areas that do not have a dog in the fight.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2011

Still

We scored. SMC beat them so we can. We must. We will.

I love it!!!
          “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• ZagMan in Philly
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
            this appears to be THE prime time game in the first full day....prob CBS.....a little late but not for the city that never sleeps.....stop hardy! carter could be big.....sju losing dj kennedy is akin to gu losing gray; not fatal but flawing.
            Looks like all of East coast will get our game, the other games at that time slots are Kansas state vs Utah state, UCLA VS Michigan state, Missouri vs Cincinnati.

Comment

• caduceus
              Zag for Life
              • Mar 2007

Someone agrees with you.

Five Must-See First Round Games - cbssports.com

Comment

• NEC26
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Interesting comment from the writer.

What will happen in another good one Thursday in Denver? Gonzaga's had a history of underachieving in the NCAA tournament.

We have lost to Wyoming and Davidson other than that we have overachieved our seed am I forgetting some losses here?

Comment

• caduceus
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by NEC26 View Post
                  Interesting comment from the writer.

What will happen in another good one Thursday in Denver? Gonzaga's had a history of underachieving in the NCAA tournament.

We have lost to Wyoming and Davidson other than that we have overachieved our seed am I forgetting some losses here?
                  Well, Texas Tech and that frickin Nevada game come to mind, though those were not first round.

Comment

• SJUBall
                    Redshirt
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                    We scored. SMC beat them so we can. We must. We will.

I love it!!!
                    You shouldn't. SMC beat a SJU team just learning the ropes with a new coach. IMO if SJU played SMC tomorrow, we beat them by 30.

Comment

• NEC26
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SJUBall View Post
                      You shouldn't. SMC beat a SJU team just learning the ropes with a new coach. IMO if SJU played SMC tomorrow, we beat them by 30.
                      Thirty? Really thirty? I guess we'll find out but I get the feeling you overestimate your team a little bit here. I know I know you play in the Big East so therefore you are awesome but if I remember right last year your conference didn't fare so well the first weekend.

Comment

• MickMick
                        Zag for Life
                        • Apr 2007

I highly doubt that.

SMC is better than every 12 seed in the field and apparently, better than St. Johns as well.

Pretty hard to argue with the scoreboard. Pretty easy to make excuses for it though.

Ahhhh learning the ropes. Any Zag fans remember when the Zags were learning the ropes? How come we don't get that excuse?
                        I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• SJUBall
                          Redshirt
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by NEC26 View Post
                          Thirty? Really thirty? I guess we'll find out but I get the feeling you overestimate your team a little bit here. I know I know you play in the Big East so therefore you are awesome but if I remember right last year your conference didn't fare so well the first weekend.
                          St john's beat Duke, UConn and Notre Dame by 15-20 a piece. Why is it an overestimation? SJU also beat Pitt(another #1 seed). SJU also brat tourney teams villa nova, Cincy, WVU by 19, Marquette amongst others.

SJU lost to St marys by 5 on the first gam of the season under a new coach.

Comment

• MickMick
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2007

St john's beat Duke, UConn and Notre Dame by 15-20 a piece. Why is it an overestimation? SJU also beat Pitt(another #1 seed). SJU also brat tourney teams villa nova, Cincy, WVU by 19, Marquette amongst others.

Your list doesn't impress me any more than a typical Gonzaga OOC schedule.

What we have learned:

1) SMC is as good as any team we play in the OOC.
                            2) Winning Maui (2010) or the Old Spice Classic (2009) doesn't mean crap in March. All those impressive wins over tournament teams don't help you one bit.
                            I miss Mike Hart

Comment

• NEC26
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Saint Mary's also has excellent guard play and are set up quite well to beat a zone/pressure team like Saint John's. I don't know who would win on a neutral floor but I guarantee Saint John's would not win by thirty or twenty for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X