PDA

View Full Version : Doug Gottlieb - Picks GU over SJU

ZagAddict
03-13-2011, 04:18 PM
On ESPN Doug Gottlieb picked GU over SJU in the 1st round...

I just don't see SJU having the depth (truly playing only 6 deep with the loss of DJ Kennedy) to keep up their fast paced style of play at altitude in Denver. They do play with 6 seniors though, but none of them have NCAA tourney experience.

One of the other analysts mentioned that GU lacks size to match up with SJU :confused:

Justin Brownlee F - 6-7 Senior
Paris Horne G 6-3 Senior
Dwight Hardy G 6-2 Senior
Malik Booth G 5-9 Senior
Justin Burrell F 6-8 Senior
Sean Evans F 6-8 Senior

SJU definitely doesn't play BIG... they prefer to play a lot pressure basketball and turn you over with their defense.

willandi
03-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Nice to know that Doug agrees with me!! LOL

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Gottlieb picked us?:doh:

Just when I was feeling good about it.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Stay underdogs, Zags. That's our roots.

JPtheBeasta
03-13-2011, 04:36 PM

I just don't see SJU having the depth (truly playing only 6 deep with the loss of DJ Kennedy) to keep up their fast paced style of play at altitude in Denver. They do play with 6 seniors though, but none of them have NCAA tourney experience.

One of the other analysts mentioned that GU lacks size to match up with SJU :confused:

Paris Horne G 6-3 Senior
Malik Booth G 5-9 SeniorJustin Burrell F 6-8 Senior
Sean Evans F 6-8

SJU definitely doesn't play BIG... they prefer to play a lot pressure basketball and turn you over with their defense.

All of the above has me optimistic. I'm not scared by their resume because I think we have personnel to match up with them. One of their fans stated that Malik Booth is going to turn us over and I was thinking he must be a fast, rangy defender... That would worry me against Stockton but I'm not too worried about that match-up any more. If this game gets turned into a track meet Stockton and Harris will both get a chance to show us their chops in the open court.

EuroZag2010
03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Haha Dickie v picks us to go to the elite 8

MickMick
03-13-2011, 05:08 PM
Cripes I wish we had the Morrison/Batista/Ravio team about now.

I have never seen a better path to the final four for GU and it is just our luck to get it in a down year.

Pittsburgh should be a #2
Florida should be a #4
BYU is missing a key player.
St. Johns is feeling some injury bug.

TexasZagFan
03-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Paris Horne G 6-3 Senior
Malik Booth G 5-9 Senior
Sean Evans F 6-8 Senior

I'm not so certain they'll be at a disadvantage with a short rotation. The TV timeouts during the tournament are at least a minute longer than during the regular season. Lavin's been around, and he'll make good use of the 5 time-outs he's given.

NEC26
03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm not so certain they'll be at a disadvantage with a short rotation. The TV timeouts during the tournament are at least a minute longer than during the regular season. Lavin's been around, and he'll make good use of the 5 time-outs he's given.

Thats a good point. Much easier to play with a short rotation in the tournament.

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Cripes I wish we had the Morrison/Batista/Ravio team about now.

I have never seen a better path to the final four for GU and it is just our luck to get it in a down year.

Pittsburgh should be a #2
Florida should be a #4
BYU is missing a key player.
St. Johns is feeling some injury bug.

Couldn't agree more. Shoot, I would even take our 2008 squad.

Hoopaholic
03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
I am thankful for this years team. They have worked through the naysayers, the bandwagon debbie downers and others. They will play hard and enjoy the tournament. Whatever they do I am proud of them and what they have done to date.

Zagguy
03-13-2011, 07:25 PM
If there is only one post to be stickied this week, your post should be it. Thank you from an Alum, a Fan.

El Voce
03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I am thankful for this years team. They have worked through the naysayers, the bandwagon debbie downers and others. They will play hard and enjoy the tournament. Whatever they do I am proud of them and what they have done to date.

Well said! These are my guys.

EuroZag2010
03-13-2011, 08:27 PM
"The Experts" On ESPNU-Andy Katz
said this " SJU lost to a WCC team to open the season St Marys, they also could lose to a WCC team Gonzaga to end their season"

The rest of them werent very high on the zags...

Zagdawg
03-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Do you think they are pulling for their boy Lavin? I would guess so.

jimmy b
03-14-2011, 09:58 AM
picked St. Johns for S16 this am fwiw

zagfan1970
03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
POUND the ball inside!!! We have (2) 7-footers, a 6-9 guy, and 6-7. They have NO player over 6-8! Foul trouble could be a huge factor, as Hardy will try to attack the basket (84% FT shooter), could see another game where Meech and Stocks have 4 PF each, Arop, Keita , and Moenninghoff should be ready to play! We will need Arop's athleticism and with the Mile-High air we must use our DEPTH!!!

Go Zags, GREAT DRAW- Like Deja-Vu... A potential 3rd round game against Florida with a trip to the Elite Eight on the line.....Gray with the runner, No, Harris with the tip!!! The Slipper Still Fits...Gus Johnson is going crazy :)

ZagKing09
03-14-2011, 10:27 AM
picked St. Johns for S16 this am fwiw

Yep, Gottlieb flip-flopped on the Zags this morning showing a little more love for Lavin saying that he has always been good in the tournament and that shouldn't stop now. But I am happy to hear that because we are better off as the underdogs when teams and the media don't give us enough respect...

ZagLawGrad
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Good choice by Doug---curse back to SJU

coolhandzag
03-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep, Gottlieb flip-flopped on the Zags this morning showing a little more love for Lavin saying that he has always been good in the tournament and that shouldn't stop now. But I am happy to hear that because we are better off as the underdogs when teams and the media don't give us enough respect...

Lavin probably pick up the dinner tab.......by credit card of course.

gamagin
03-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Paris Horne G 6-3 Senior
Malik Booth G 5-9 Senior
Sean Evans F 6-8 Senior

the "calls" of the pundits would be posted each year, or be readily available on a website, just like the W-L of coaches and teams.

Otherwise, it's like discussing the weather hour to hour, unless someone actually develops an uncanny, accurate, record worth considering seriously.

maynard g krebs
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
NY Times picks the Zags. And Georgia over UW.

Zagsker
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Stay underdogs, Zags. That's our roots.

for Gonzaga to finally get over the hump and make a Final Four and such...we need to rid ourselves of the "nobody expects us to do anything anyways" mentality. People have been expecting us to do things for the past couple years and we have not delivered...it's time to relish being a year in and year out marquee program and win no matter if we are underdogs or favorites

SJUBall
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
POUND the ball inside!!! We have (2) 7-footers, a 6-9 guy, and 6-7. They have NO player over 6-8! Foul trouble could be a huge factor, as Hardy will try to attack the basket (84% FT shooter), could see another game where Meech and Stocks have 4 PF each, Arop, Keita , and Moenninghoff should be ready to play! We will need Arop's athleticism and with the Mile-High air we must use our DEPTH!!!

Go Zags, GREAT DRAW- Like Deja-Vu... A potential 3rd round game against Florida with a trip to the Elite Eight on the line.....Gray with the runner, No, Harris with the tip!!! The Slipper Still Fits...Gus Johnson is going crazy :)

Actually, that is not correct. SJU has Dele Coker, a center that is 6'10" 260. He doesn't play all that much, but if the Zags throw their size around. Coker will probably be utilized to play some defensive minutes to prevent foul trouble.

The two post players that SJU utilizes most are Justin Burrell and Sean Evans. Both are around 6'8" 260 give or take a few pounds. Evans was actually a high D1 defensive end prospect out of HS. Both strong kids.

U Zig, I Zag
03-14-2011, 03:06 PM
for Gonzaga to finally get over the hump and make a Final Four and such...we need to rid ourselves of the "nobody expects us to do anything anyways" mentality. People have been expecting us to do things for the past couple years and we have not delivered...it's time to relish being a year in and year out marquee program and win no matter if we are underdogs or favorites

I agree. Time to step up, shake off the labels and knock some heads.

When Rob is walking off the floor with a win he says, 'thanks for holding onto that 6th seed for us' to Lavin.

Bogozags
03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Actually, that is not correct. SJU has Dele Coker, a center that is 6'10" 260. He doesn't play all that much, but if the Zags throw their size around. Coker will probably be utilized to play some defensive minutes to prevent foul trouble.

The two post players that SJU utilizes most are Justin Burrell and Sean Evans. Both are around 6'8" 260 give or take a few pounds. Evans was actually a high D1 defensive end prospect out of HS. Both strong kids.

I've seen SJU play many times this year and they are a very tough, senior laden team and didn't want the ZAGS to to meet this team in the the first round BUT think that Dele Coker is going to have lots of playing time. Our front line is quite good and they manipulated the FSU bigs of last year and we are even stronger there this year.

When SJU beat Duke, I was sold on them being something to be reckoned with this year and they lose to UCLA?? Then they had the close game against Rutgers in the Conference tournament. Both teams will feel the altitude and even though they have longer timeouts in this tourney. GU can play uptempo and has a very good half-court game too. GU has a much deeper and quality bench and all things considered, GU wins a close, physical game, then the daunting task of guarding a "Jimmer" awaits. This just one mans humble opinion...

Beer_Engineer
03-15-2011, 12:26 PM
NY Times picks the Zags. And Georgia over UW.

Really, for the first weekend, this would just make it that much better!

Demetri Awesome
03-15-2011, 02:54 PM
Ok so your Doug Gottlieb a sports analyst for espn. Your specialty is college basketball, you in fact played college basketball. You watch and report on just about every game throughout the regular season. Finally, the end of the season and selection sunday announces the brackets. Your scheduled for a live real-time analysis on who you think will win. The public patiently awaits your opinion and on national t.v. you announce the Zags over the Johns and you begin to explain why. Your argument holds and it makes sense and the average sports fan respects your analysis. Then all of a sudden you switch? Look I can switch my picks but an analyst must stick to his guns! Thats why your an analyst! You live and breath college basketball for a living. In short I've lost all respect for Doug as an analyst. I'm not completely serious, but really Doug your killing me! :P