PDA

View Full Version : Got snubbed!

ZagsObserver
03-13-2011, 03:12 PM
The fact that we got an 11 seed and the likes of Georgia get a 10 seed is irritating.

That aside, the real snubs were St. Mary's and Colorado. UAB and VCU were both huge stretches. UAB only played one ranked team all year, and they lost. St. Mary's and Colorado deserved the bids over UAB and VCU. The Colonial Conference had no business getting three bids.

Edit: Yes, even USC did not deserve to dance this year in a weak PAC-10

surfmonkey89
03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
St Mary's is not a snub.

Colorado, no question. I'd put Harvard above St Mary's.

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
The fact that we got an 11 seed and the likes of Georgia get a 10 seed is irritating.

That aside, the real snubs were St. Mary's and Colorado. UAB and VCU were both huge stretches. UAB only played one ranked team all year, and they lost. St. Mary's and Colorado deserved the bids over UAB and VCU. The Colonial Conference had no business getting three bids.

Edit: Yes, even USC did not deserve to dance this year in a weak PAC-10

Agree with you... However I'm not gonna complain about our seed this year, because overall, I like our bracket (Not crazy about facing St Johns though.) USC getting in makes me mad.

jaydee77
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Pac 10 gets four teams in? Ridiculous.

dpouley
03-13-2011, 03:16 PM

I think that the entire West Coast got hosed.

Arizona is playing Memphis in Oklahoma
UCLA is playing Michigan State in Florida
Washington plays Georgia (and possibly UNC) in Charlotte!!!
Gonzaga as an 11 seed, while Georgia is a 10 seed (that is absolutely ridiculous)
Saint Mary's doesn't even get into the tournament.
Colorado is hosed.

It is very, very obvious, that that the West Coast of the United States got completely screwed by the selection committee.

VinnyZag
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I'd rather have Gonzaga's 11 seed than Georgia's 10. Just based on the matchups: Georgia has to play UW and then Carolina if they win; I'd rather play St. Johns and then BYU if we win.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM

Gonzaga as an 11 seed, while Georgia is a 10 seed (that is absolutely ridiculous)
Colorado is hosed.

It is very, very obvious, that that the West Coast of the United States got completely screwed by the selection committee.

I like the Zags' draw a litttle better than what UW faces. That's a tough east coast trip for the Huskies. The Zags have found that out in the past.

dpouley
03-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd rather have Gonzaga's 11 seed than Georgia's 10. Just based on the matchups: Georgia has to play UW and then Carolina if they win; I'd rather play St. Johns and then BYU if we win.

I am actually shocked that Georgia got into the tournament. Saint Mary's is a way better team than Georgia (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Georgia).

NEC26
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM

Colorado is hosed.

I can't disagree with you here but UW will beat Georgia. I really can't see them losing to Georgia, however UNC will certainly be tough.

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I was so certain that our name was going to be called against UW - - and next game would have been UNC and on the east coast.

I feel better about St. Johns in Denver.

ZagAddict
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
St Mary's is not a snub.

Colorado, no question. I'd put Harvard above St Mary's.

+1

SMC was not a snub... they were not playing their best basketball at the end of year. They played their way out by losing to USD, losing the Bracket Buster against Utah St., and getting beat by GU at home the last week of the regular season.

There were other teams that are ahead of SMC in terms of "being snubbed".

Colorado
Virginia Tech
Harvard

... should have been in ahead of SMC anyways.

ZigZagger
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
I have little sympathy for 'snubbed' teams with weak-a$$ out of conference schedules. Colorado's non-conference schedule was pathetic (non-conf SOS: 325).

Zagtana
03-13-2011, 03:31 PM
VCU? UAB? Georgia? USC? Clemson? No St. Marys? No Colorado? Wow. What were those selection guys drinking, or sniffin'? I'm thinking now that it's a good thing the Zags won the WCC tourney.

Oregonzagnut
03-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Any Bid East team was going to be tough. The selection committee is not purely objective. They have alma maters, and big money dictates what bubble gets chosen. USC is bigger money than either St Mary or Colorado. Same with Georgia. The bubble teams are all pretty much equal so they go with what is best for TV and the greater fan base.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 03:32 PM
+1

SMC was not a snub... they were not playing their best basketball at the end of year. They played their way out by losing to USD, losing the Bracket Buster against Utah St., and getting beat by GU at home the last week of the regular season.

There were other teams that are ahead of SMC in terms of "being snubbed".

Colorado
Virginia Tech
Harvard

... should have been in ahead of SMC anyways.

SMC's absence shouldn't be a surprise. Their body of work just wasn't great at the end of the day.

ZagsObserver
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
So, do you have sympathy for VCU and the Colonial league getting 3 teams in? How about UAB who played (and lost) to one ranked team all year long? Or how about USC with 14 losses in a weak PAC-10?

Those were two of the worst Bubble-in teams I have ever seen from the committee in all my years watching.

How about Georgia with the 10 seed and Utah State the 12 seed? That's fair?

ZagsObserver
03-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Duplicate post...darn computer!

DCZag
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
I gotta agree - while Colorado had an attrocious OOC SOS (325?), VCU and UAB? But with the "soft bubble" and maybe the weakest tourney field ever, what can you do? I'm good with where we are. Had us pegged in the top 40, and we are close to that.

Now it's time for those who are in to prove they belong.

Go Zags!!

jimmy b
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
on the committee this year.
Colonial with 3 bids and WCC with one

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Question: When was the last time the WCC's one and only team in the tournament was seeded no higher than 11???

Zag4Hire
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Man, the Southeast bracket is WIDE OPEN. The arguments will be stronger every year due to the expansion but at the end of the day, you have to take care of business. The fallout from a couple years back after a record number of at large bids went to Missouri Valley teams and Nantz/Packer went off, mid-majors will never get consideration. This will be forgotten a few weeks for now. Just beat STJ!

kclubfounder
03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
1) schedule better in the non-conference.

2) finish strong.

Otherwise, you better say a prayer because those are the 2 things that can knock you out when you don't think you should be knocked out.

That's why the Zags would have been in if they lost to SMC in the conference championship game (although we probably would have been playing on Tuesday).

SMC, play a better non-conference schedule and finish stronger.

I don't think you were even within 4 teams of getting in.

Baldwinzag
03-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Wow, after reviewing DP's link, Georgia is a worse candidate than I already throught they were...ouch.

St Mary's is leaps and bounds better than VCU, Georgia, Clemson?, and most definitely UAB. Can't understand the respect the Committee gave to Colonial League & Conference USA. Oh, and the SEC as well...

Was the committee high? I guess why not? They are trapped in a small conference room for 72+ hours, have all the snacks(Frito-Lay products at their disposal), and stressed as you could be...given some of their inexplicable picks---statistical, logical, & eye-test---I can't think of any other explanation.

ZigZagger
03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
(To ZagsObserver - 'cuz I think you were responding to my post...)
The bottom of the at-large teams is extremely weak. If a team couldn't break into a field this weak, they need to look at what to do next year to avoid being in this position again. In Colorado's case, try playing some real basketball before January.

If I were doing the seeding, I probably would have had St. Mary's and Colorado in over the others mentioned, but really, we are splitting some fine hairs at this point. To call anybody here a 'snub' is stretching the definition of 'snub' pretty thin.

DoMieD
03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
I am actually shocked that Georgia got into the tournament. Saint Mary's is a way better team than Georgia (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Georgia).

No they arent. Dont be surprised if Georgia beats UW and UNC

MJ777
03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
SDSU has a nice draw until UCONN, but I still think they can beat the Huskies.

gopackgozags
03-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I loved hearing Colorado's coach rattle off all of the tough games that he scheduled this year- New Mexico, Harvard, Colorado State... oh and don't forget Indiana.

sullyzag66
03-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Wow, after reviewing DP's link, Georgia is a worse candidate than I already throught they were...ouch.

St Mary's is leaps and bounds better than VCU, Georgia, Clemson?, and most definitely UAB. Can't understand the respect the Committee gave to Colonial League & Conference USA. Oh, and the SEC as well...

Was the committee high? I guess why not? They are trapped in a small conference room for 72+ hours, have all the snacks(Frito-Lay products at their disposal), and stressed as you could be...given some of their inexplicable picks---statistical, logical, & eye-test---I can't think of any other explanation.
http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss137/desulliv/twinkie.jpg

mgadfly
03-13-2011, 04:40 PM
That's why the Zags would have been in if they lost to SMC in the conference championship game (although we probably would have been playing on Tuesday).

With the win against SMC they gave us an 11 seed.
The "first round" play-in game for the last at-large teams were between 11 seeds and 12 seeds.
A loss against SMC very easily could have dropped us completely out of the tourney.

UberZagFan
03-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Suprised not more talk about Clemson in the same breath as Georgia, UAB, VCU, etc. Clemson was just as bad as Georgia. Shoot they had absolutely ZERO top 50 wins. And a mediocre record in the ACC (10-8), low RPI, and weak SOS. To Uber, Clemson and Georgia are both the same teams. . . N.I.T. teams!

2Zags3Pups
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I loved the graphic where they showed the site locations on the US map. It's amazing any west team could be placed close to home. Minimal sites in the western US. Anaheim, Denver, Tuscon. Anything else west of the Mississippi? What a joke.

Mad Ewok
03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
It amazes me that people aren't questioning the inclusion of Penn St.?! If you look at their schedule (which somehow is #6?!?!?!) it's garbage. Toughest teams they played were Fairfield, Maryland, Duquense and VT.

They fed on the bottom feeders of the Big 10, and only 2 of them were on the road. This is easily the biggest outrage of the tournament.

And lastly, none of you seem to respect the CAA and I'm not sure why. They consistently go out and schedule tough non-cons and fare quite well. Then they just beat up on each in conference. Stop passing judgement without watching these teams.

NEC26
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
It amazes me that people aren't questioning the inclusion of Penn St.?! If you look at their schedule (which somehow is #6?!?!?!) it's garbage. Toughest teams they played were Fairfield, Maryland, Duquense and VT.

They fed on the bottom feeders of the Big 10, and only 2 of them were on the road. This is easily the biggest outrage of the tournament.

And lastly, none of you seem to respect the CAA and I'm not sure why. They consistently go out and schedule tough non-cons and fare quite well. Then they just beat up on each in conference. Stop passing judgement without watching these teams.

To me any team getting in with a sub .500 conference record is a joke(read Penn State). USC and Clemson are almost as bad. I'm actually shocked a really weak Alabama team wasn't put in but I'm sure if we expanded to a couple more teams they would have. It sure the heck wouldn't have been a so called mid major thats for sure.

kitzbuel
03-13-2011, 05:45 PM
No they arent. Dont be surprised if Georgia beats UW and UNC
Better or not, SMC's resume> UGA's>Clemson's

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Better or not, SMC's resume> UGA's>Clemson's

Agreed. It's not about who's the better team.. It's about resumes.

Zagnailler
03-13-2011, 06:58 PM
I smell a plot to expand the field to at least 96 teams, if not 128 or 256. How better to negotiate ala the NFL that the road to more riches is on the backs of (unpaid) athletes. Low costs + more revenue = High profits

rijman
03-13-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm bummed that SMC didn't get in because the conference loses out on that revenue. But SMC has no one to blame but themselves. With a 3 game lead in the conference the best they could do is tie for the conference championship including a loss to USD. Beat USD, hold on and beat Utah St, beat the Zags at home, beat the Zags in the WCC tourney, any one of these would have put them in.

No one seems to be mentioning Missouri St as a snub, same record as SMC, better RPI.

titopoet
03-13-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey the difference between a 6 or 11 is the color of uniform. Add to the fact that the game is in Denver, and I think the 11 us great. As good as St Johns' 6th seed.