PDA

View Full Version : Bubble: Travesty?

U Zig, I Zag
03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Never seen so many talking heads so ramped up about a field like this.

VCU and UAB over CO, SMC, Harvard, et al....

Vitale's head is going to explode. He just made a Roseanne Barr reference for crying out loud.

surfmonkey89
03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Just figured out why they're talking up Harvard so much:

Coach Tommy Amaker.

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm absolutely furious that USC got in over some of the bubble teams, including SMC. USC is just flat out mediocre.

MJ777
03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Never seen so many talking heads so ramped up about a field like this.

VCU and UAB over CO, SMC, Harvard, et al....

Vitale's head is going to explode. He just made a Roseanne Barr reference for crying out loud.

Well, they do have to fill 2 hours.

wazZag
03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Just looked at VCU on Pom. Indefensible pick. There are a half dozen teams I would take over them.

MedZag
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Most serious I've ever seen Vitale on TV when he was talking about the bubble snubs.

dpouley
03-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm absolutely furious that USC got in over some of the bubble teams, including SMC. USC is just flat out mediocre.

USC beat Arizona, UCLA, Washington, Texas, Tennessee and lost by two to Kansas in Lawrence.

That is pretty impressive.

MJ777
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
USC beat Arizona, UCLA, Washington, Texas, Tennessee and lost by two to Kansas in Lawrence.

That is pretty impressive.

I agree DP, and Colorado should have gotten in too.

Baldwinzag
03-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Clemson w/ ZERO wins over Top-50 Rpi.

UAB just ONE win over Top-50 RPI.

VCU took 4th place in the Colonial Conference & unimpressive accomplishments across the board. What the hell have they done? HUGE mistake by the committee.

Georgia played terrible in OOC and competed under-par in an overrated SEC conference.

COLORADO w/ SIX wins over Top-50 and NINE wins over Top-100. VCU with TWO?!?

SMC should have been in before any of the above mentioned.

Honestly, can't remember a worse year/performance by the NCAA selection committee...

CDC84
03-13-2011, 03:27 PM
Listening to Vitale is worthless. He thinks half the teams in D-1 should've made the dance. Happens every year.

Colorado and Va Tech over UAB and VCU. I'm fine with the rest of the field. Seeding was worse.

surfmonkey89
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
The interesting thing that you can glean from these discussions is that while it sounds like Bilas, Vitale, et al are advocating for teams, they're actually advocating for coaches.

They're more concerned with coaches not getting fired over everything else imo.

UberZagFan
03-13-2011, 03:31 PM
It's telling what would have happened if GU didn't take Vegas. So it was all about Vegas after all....

Zag4Hire
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
When CU Head Coach Tad Boyle was asked about quality OOC wins.."We beat San Francisco in San Francisco". GU couldn't even hang their hat on that one.

Zag@LMU
03-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Im guessing the attendance at that game was 1 homeless man, 5 students, and a stray dog.

EuroZag2010
03-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Poor guy!! 5 top 50 wins !! Wow Feel bad for the dudes 5 seniors

SunDevilGolfZag
03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Poor guy!! 5 top 50 wins !! Wow Feel bad for the dudes 5 seniors

+1 Colorado did get totally hosed -- NCAA committee credibility/integrity gap of the first order

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Clemson w/ ZERO wins over Top-50 Rpi.

UAB just ONE win over Top-50 RPI.

VCU took 4th place in the Colonial Conference & unimpressive accomplishments across the board. What the hell have they done? HUGE mistake by the committee.

Georgia played terrible in OOC and competed under-par in an overrated SEC conference.

COLORADO w/ SIX wins over Top-50 and NINE wins over Top-100. VCU with TWO?!?

SMC should have been in before any of the above mentioned.

Honestly, can't remember a worse year/performance by the NCAA selection committee...

I think this sets it up pretty well. And, USC - yes, they have great wins, great wins - but they have almost as many bad losses, didn't play well in a bad conference tournament and are just a shady program to begin with, so for me, this is also indefensible.

The other total fail by the committee, which I think people will get around to, is the seeding. We are so worried about an almost automatic bonk out of the tournament by being in the 8/9 game that we are not even all that worked up by being dissed as an 11 seed. I know that this is not one of the better GU teams, but are we so bad that our first game should be against a team that beat Duke, ND, Pitt, etc. etc.??? When was the last time the highest the WCC could do is 11 in the tournament. And if that isn't bad enough, USU - who is like 49-3, goes from a projected 8 to being a 12 seed!!!

There are a whole bunch of other real questionable seeding calls - - but, I guess if we are playing well, that is to our favor, lets go out and get at them.

Chicken Ball
03-13-2011, 04:56 PM
USC also had a ton of terrible losses, too. If you play enough good teams, you'll bump some off sometimes.

Zagnailler
03-13-2011, 07:05 PM
You can play your way out of a bad seed, but if you can't go to the dance, you have no chance. Though I would think we earned better than an 11 seed, I love our path. Beat the Red Storm or the Lavins or whatever their name is.

GeorgiaZagFan
03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I looked at Colorado's "resume" and they got what they deserved! They lost to Georgia, Harvard, San Fran, and New Mexico OOC and really beat NO ONE OOC ...plus they went 7-9 down the stretch!
Two things bother me is 11 teams from Big East and 3 teams from Colonial (VCU, GMU, ODU). I think the entire CAA OOC schedule produced maybe TWO quality wins!! Let's see VCU beat UCLA, ODU beat Xavier and GMU beat NOBODY!!! (unless you count Harvard as a quality win!) St. Mary's should have been in over the CAA's 3rd team!

ZaginLaw
03-13-2011, 08:31 PM
What's all the talk about Colorado getting snubbed? Look at their record. A dismal pre-season and a crash mid-season. It's like the talking heads have to say how someone got snubbed and it was CU's turn.

Oh and If you can't beat the Bengals of Idaho State University by more than 8 pts....it ain't a snub.

Go Zags.

Baldwinzag
03-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Butler ranked 3 seeds higher than the Zags? :confused:

CDC84
03-13-2011, 09:01 PM
I still would take Colorado's resume over a VCU team that lost 7 games to CAA opponents. Do I feel it's a travesty that CU got left out? No.

I think the real problems have to do with seeding.

Texas a 4? Please. More like a 2. Florida a 2? They should've been a 4.

The committee also gave terrible seeds to Utah State and Belmont. How many more first round upsets does the committee need to see before they'll realize that 30 win basketball teams - regardless of what schedule they play or what their conference is - are terrific basketball teams?? You can't fake your way to 30 wins! When the committee does that, they're not really punishing Belmont - what they are doing is punishing Wisconsin, who shouldn't have to play a team of Belmont's quality in the first round. Last season the committee handed a 13 seed to a 30 win Murray State team. Of course the Racers beat #3 Vandy and then came within a whisker of beating Butler in the 2nd round. Brad Stevens said that Murray State was the toughest team they played in the whole tournament besides Duke.

Das Zagger
03-13-2011, 09:17 PM
I lol'ed at the committee chair's comments about VCU:

"Virginia Commonwealth is a tough team," Smith said. "They play solid. Great ballclub. If you watch them play, one of those teams that a lot of people don't want to play."

Translation: "I'm in a crappy loan and VCU gave me a blank check."

Edit: Just remembered that the chair is the AD at Ohio State, the crookedness all makes sense now.

Reborn
03-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Gonzaga got a GREAT seed. One of the best of any team, IMO. No PAC 10 teams are staying out West. San Diego, BYU, Gonzaga and Utah St get to stay out west. Where a team plays is just as important, if not more important, than the team that they play. I agree with CDC. I feel sorry for Wisconsin because there is a great chance they get beat by Utah State, as they will have to travel to Tucson, Arizona. And Utah St is the kind of team that CAN beat Wisconsin.

Most teams have not won on the road much this year, and St. John's did lose to UCLA the last time they came out West. I am definitely not upset by getting an 11 seed in Phoenix. What's in a number besides ego? We will have a lot of fans pulling for us. And that always helps. And besides it will make it easier for Zag fans to travel and see the games. Wouldn't you just love to see Gonzaga beat St. John's and BYU? I would rather play BYU out West than I would want to play University of North Carolina out in North Carolina.

I feel bad for St. Mary's because they are a good team and are in our confernce, but they dug their own grave in the last part of the season. Most teams had some ugly losses, and some 3 in a row like we had. Unfortunately for St. Mary's their's came at the end of the year.

MJ777
03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Watch out Reborn, the Big East Johnnie on the board might get on your case for believing your team is better than his.

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Watch out Reborn, the Big East Johnnie on the board might get on your case for believing your team is better than his.

I would just prefer that we keep the "this is great" "couldn't be better" talk to ourselves... St. Johns has beat too many elite teams this year for me to put my feet up.

MJ777
03-13-2011, 10:09 PM
I would just prefer that we keep the "this is great" "couldn't be better" talk to ourselves... St. Johns has beat too many elite teams this year for me to put my feet up.

I agree, but it is the eternal optimist Reborn and this is a Zag board. What does the SJ guy expect?

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 10:13 PM
I agree, but it is the eternal optimist Reborn and this is a Zag board. What does the SJ guy expect?

I can't argue with that. Coming on our board, he really shouldn't be surprised or get so defensive.

Beer_Engineer
03-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Ehhh. Marquette has beaten some of the same quality teams SJU has. Still think this is the best draw on the board. Doesnt mean we'll take it, but that we could take advantage of it

NotoriousZ
03-14-2011, 04:20 AM
This is absolutely a tough first round draw. But, as others have stated, it's out west--Zag Nation will be there!!!

And unless you're a top 3 seed or better, they're all tough first round draws. As BZ said, for the Zags, this is as good as it gets.

VCU and UAB should not have made it, but at least they added three teams to the field, so ONE more legitimate team got to dance this year.

Zagpower
03-14-2011, 04:34 AM
After watching the SEC championship game, how does Florida get a 2 seed?

The NW got hosed in the awarding of tournament sites. Any teams in the NW, will have to travel a minimum of 1,000 miles to any site while Duke and UNC will get to play in their home state yet again.

ridgebackzag
03-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Most serious I've ever seen Vitale on TV when he was talking about the bubble snubs.

Or anytime someone calls him an "ACC homer" on the air.

SunDevilGolfZag
03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
USC also had a ton of terrible losses, too. If you play enough good teams, you'll bump some off sometimes.

Never hurts I guess to have old Stan Morrison on the committee either