PDA

View Full Version : Love our bracket!!!!

NotoriousZ
03-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

Mods feel free to merge this with many other similar threads!

ezcure17
03-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I LOVE our bracket too!!! We get to play in Denver... Not only do we get to beat St Johns...THEN we get to take out BYU WITH Jimmer..they wont be able to say oh...your lucky he graduated last year!!! YAHHHHHH

rawkmandale
03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
I totally agree. St. John's was NOT excited when they saw the matchup (they all sat back down - no cheering). They have to come west. I think they recently lost a player to injury, correct? They lost to St. Mary's early in the year.

Then, if face BYU - we should have nearly as much crowd support as they do. They also lost a player, due to suspention - and have struggled since.

The rest of the half bracket has Florida and UCLA - we could beat either of those.

The upper half of the bracket is loaded with mid-majors, and some VERY good ones. It also has Kansas State and Pittsburg - should be a very interesting region.

MJ777
03-13-2011, 02:57 PM
St Johns won't overlook the Zags because Lavin knows the quality of the program. "If" they can get past the Johnnies and BYU wins, Few needs to take a page from SDSUs game plan from yesterday and keep putting fresh legs and length on Jimmer. Manny and Keita might get some play. Use your depth at altitude because BYU has very little. Also, pound the ball inside.

ezcure17
03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
You are right, Lavin knows us....BUT....he wont be on the court :) Don't think he can prepare his team against us on short notice...I REALLY want to face BYU....give em a little PRE WCC next year gift!!!! Anyone else agree???

ZagAddict
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I love the Zags' draw for so many reasons, but it all begins by beating St. John's.

1. I love our match up against St. John's in Denver
2. I love a potential match up against BYU in the 2nd round - let's start a rivalry early.
3. I love that Florida is the 2 seed in our region - however, I think Tom Izzo will get his Spartans to the Sweet Sixteen and a GU/MSU match up would be great to see.
4. I love that we have Pitt as the #1 seed in the Southeast region

Go Zags... time to Dance!!!

Oh, and I love the fact that SMC was left out in the cold by the Selection Committee... still not in the same league as GU. :clap:

rijman
03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
St. Johns is a tougher matchup than any of the projections and I'm not thrilled with this game. However, I love the potential 2nd round matchup with BYU. Just find a way to win the 1st round game and the Zags could make a deep run.

ZagsObserver
03-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I don't love our bracket. St. Johns was a much harder matchup in the first round than I ever thought we'd get, and our prize for winning would be BYU and Jimmer, who I DON'T think we match up well against.

VinnyZag
03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Looking at KenPom's profile of St. John's (http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=St.%20John%27s). They are 232nd in 3-point field goal percentage and 334th in percentage of field goal attempts that are 3-pointers. So the one thing that's been GU's biggest problem this year, defending the 3, is not a St. John's strength.

Looks like they shoot 2s well, force turnovers, and don't commit turnovers. Good free-throw shooting team that gets there a lot. They will give up some offensive rebounds, which also plays to what should be a strength of GU. And we're way bigger than them.

This is a good matchup for GU.

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
I love our bracket, HATE our first round match up. St. Johns could lay an egg, or they could beat us by 30.. The list of teams they have beaten is beyond impressive. Here's to being the underdogs again! GOOOO ZAGS.

Zag4Hire
03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Ha the only team I watch about as much as the Zags. It was pretty appropriate that my old STJ game shorts were lying on the bed near me while I am sporting my Gonzaga game shorts. Trust me, I have the watched STJ many, many times this season. This is a great matchup. Plus they gotta go west, which will make a huge difference. Imagine the possibilities if we can just get past STJ. I truly think this pod is wide open.

zagzilla
03-13-2011, 03:14 PM
If I am a Johnny I am not happy. As a 6 they get sent west to play a hot 11 who is under seeded and has played and beaten top tier teams this year.

Karma for that travesty of officiating in NY last week.

ronh_pm
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
St. Johns is a tougher matchup than any of the projections and I'm not thrilled with this game. However, I love the potential 2nd round matchup with BYU. Just find a way to win the 1st round game and the Zags could make a deep run.

I can't imagine any scenario where the Zags, not exactly know for their perimeter defense, can stop Jimmer.

A triangle and two perhaps...with the triangle on Jimmer.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Not overly optomistic for the Zags as it is going to be a tough road to hoe.

However, St. Johns has to be concerned because the Zags are playing very well right now.

Looks like the Committee got cute and let the BYU/WCC twist dictate how the Zags got seeded, IMO.

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Lets be real.

St. Johns is a much much tougher test than we would have thought. We thought we were 8/9 or at most a 10. Now, we are an 11 playing a team that got discounted down to a six b/c of injury, not play, St. Johns - - who beat most of the top Big East teams (at home).

But, this "feels" like the games we used to win. BYU is simply not the same team.

I do wonder, though, how many other 11 seeds boards are plotting their way 3 games in already? Lets win Thursday.

Go Zags, BEAT the Storm.

willandi
03-13-2011, 03:20 PM
I think the Zags got the best of it. As an 11 we couldn't have faced Xavier in the 1st round. I like our chances better against St Johns than against Cincinnatti, but was worried we'd get Georgetown in D.C. (turns out they're in Chicago). We got the best draw as an 11, in the best location. IF we get past the Johhnies, we get BYU, and I think we match up against them well too. We have speed and length to slow down Jimmer, and heighth to own the inside. Past that it's all gravy, tough teams but games we can win.

GOOOO ZZZAGGGGS!!!

ZagAddict
03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
St. John's is a good match up for GU. They are a senior heavy team, but this is going to be a very difficult game for St. John's to win in Denver with their depth. GU's depth will be their biggest strength with the Denver draw. Few will use his bench as a weapon, and he has players that have the ability to play at a very high level. Dower, Stockton, Olynk, MM, MK, and Arop will all be key with the minutes they see...

I'm also not afraid of a BYU match up like many on this board. I love the fact that GU has a potential match up with BYU in the 2nd round. I'd rather see BYU in the 2nd round than Syracuse, UConn, and Purdue. GU has the depth and guards to play with BYU.

This is the best draw for the NCAA tournament that GU has had in a long while in my opinion. Plus the potential Sweet Sixteen opponents don't put any fear in my heart either... Florida, Mich. St., and UCLA.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
Zags can win if they play their game.

No griping about seeds if you don't take of business for the entire season. That's just the way it goes.

VinnyZag
03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Nobody's saying St. John's isn't good. I get it, St. John's beat Duke and Notre Dame and Pitt and UConn.

But this is a decent matchup: They don't shoot it well from 3, they give up offensive rebounds, we'll have a size advantage and they have to come west.

Don't we always say that the tournament is all about matchups? Well, this is a good matchup. No guarantee we'll win, but this is the sort of team we can beat.

ronh_pm
03-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Nobody's saying St. John's isn't good. I get it, St. John's beat Duke and Notre Dame and Pitt and UConn.

But this is a decent matchup: They don't shoot it well from 3, they give up offensive rebounds, we'll have a size advantage and they have to come west.

Don't we always say that the tournament is all about matchups? Well, this is a good matchup. No guarantee we'll win, but this is the sort of team we can beat.

Matchups indeed...I'd rather be an 11 here than a nine in ANY regional.

BobZag
03-13-2011, 03:30 PM
We weren't even in the conversation two months ago.

To play St. John's out west in Denver, then, if we win, to have BYU with no Brandon Davies?

That, my friends, is about as good as this edition of the Bulldogs could hope for.

I'm happy. Go get 'em, Zags!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-13-2011, 03:32 PM
I am very pleased with that first round draw. The altitude is going to kill St. John's. None of the kids on that team are used to playing above sea level and they won't know what hit them when their legs start to fail five minutes into the game. The Zags will be winded, but St. John's will get it a lot worse than our guys. St. John's also has to move a couple of time zones west. I hope that this game is played as a nightcap, because that will also impact their bodies. They will travel a lot farther to play in a gym that will be mostly hostile to them. I couldn't ask for a better location to play an 11-6 game.

BYU, on the other hand, will force us to play at their altitude. Oh well. Let's get used to it. We'll need to slow the game down to take advantage of our size and keep them from running us out of the gym. Without Davies, they are a much smaller team than us and we can beat them on the inside if we attack the paint the same way we did against St. Mary's.

This is a good bracket for us - not great, but I'll take it over any of the 8/9 matchups that were possible.

DCZag
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I like our placement in the bracket - we can definitely win a couple of games if we play like we have been the last few weeks. I'll take an 11 over the 8-9 any day. In like the fact that we are playing St Johns and I'd love to play BYU in the 2nd round.

We were the last team announced - I kept expecting us earlier.

Overall, I won't complain at all about our seed or early matchups.

Bring on St Johns!!

btzag
03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Yep, beautiful bracket.

Going to be a tough first game but we have some nice matchup advantages and then you just hope to not face a juggernaut in the second round and BYU is definitely vulnerable now.

I like it.

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Yep. SJU is very tough, but all big wins were at home, they have to come out west, right after losing their top 3 point shooter to an ACL - and if they win, then BYU 2.0 simply not the same team w/o the big man.

zagzilla
03-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Yep. SJU is very tough, but all big wins were at home, they have to come out west, right after losing their top 3 point shooter to an ACL - and if they win, then BYU 2.0 simply not the same team w/o the big man.

So you're saying that if we get to the Sweet 16 it will be tainted? :doh:

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 03:44 PM
So you're saying that if we get to the Sweet 16 it will be tainted? :doh:

Yes, yes I am. It will be a wonderful, fun, rauckus, magical, tainted Sweet Sixteen - and then we face what to everyone is the consensus "weakest" bracket and I couldn't agree more, so we will have to face of a "tainted" final four.

Just kidding, beat SJU - - they don't like it out in the bad bad wild wild west.

Zag4Hire
03-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Bill Self said before the selection show, "Ohio State can have the #1 overall seed. We had it last year and had a bulls-eye on our back. For us, it is all about matchups.." I actually like KU's road better than OSU.

Also, I was just proud of this GU team for playing with heart and determination. They have really come together and some players have evolved tremendously such as Diamond (Marquise) and Stocks.

Show me another pod you rather have. This is the best pod for GU--location and two potential foes that have certainly been struggling down the stretch.

Zagdawg
03-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Kennedy is their top rebounder---he has only taken a few 3-ptrs this year.

TL87ZAG
03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Absolutely loving this draw (http://zagacious.com). A chance to take an over-rated Big East team to task, and make them travel out west to play us, is exactly what I was hoping for, personally. Plus, since we're an 11, we get to avoid 1 seeds as long as possible.

Let's go Zags.

ZagAddict
03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
A Denver site for GU and a St. John's 1st round match up is GREAT for GU.

- GU has the depth to play at altitude
- SJU doesn't play with depth
- SJU lost their starting G-F D.J. Kennedy in the Big East Tourney (they are going to miss that depth and his 10+ pts, and 5+ rebounds per game)
- GU can exploit their interior with Sacre, Dower, and Harris

If GU's guards can stay in front of SJU's guards, we win and move on to a 2nd round match up with BYU.

rijman
03-13-2011, 03:52 PM
I can't imagine any scenario where the Zags, not exactly know for their perimeter defense, can stop Jimmer.

A triangle and two perhaps...with the triangle on Jimmer.
You don't have to stop Jimmer. He scored 30 against the Aztecs in MWC tourney and Aztecs were in control the entire game. It all depends on whether or not Jimmer brings a team with him.

"with the triangle on Jimmer"?, that's funny and the way the rest of the BYU team played in the MWC finals that might be the best idea i've heard yet.

coolhandzag
03-13-2011, 03:55 PM
This bracket is about as favorable for the Zags as you could hope for. This SJU team looked very pedestrian against Rutgers. 1.7 seconds anyone? Is this a gimmie for the Zags, by no means! It will be a tough hurdle to cross, but by no means impossible. If the Zags get passed a mildly over-rated big east time they reason to play a BYU team with a stripped down interior.

This is as a good a draw as this team could expect.

GO ZAGS!

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
A Denver site for GU and a St. John's 1st round match up is GREAT for GU.

- GU has the depth to play at altitude
- SJU doesn't play with depth
- SJU lost their starting G-F D.J. Kennedy in the Big East Tourney (they are going to miss that depth and his 10+ pts, and 5+ rebounds per game)
- GU can exploit their interior with Sacre, Dower, and Harris

If GU's guards can stay in front of SJU's guards, we win and move on to a 2nd round match up with BYU.

Hope you're right. Funny, though, how a team will often play very well after losing one of their better players.

Zagdawg
03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Who will get Kennedys minutes? Someone not used to the extra time or the altitude.

They like to run---but can they run all day a mile high? How long until they wear down?

ZagAddict
03-13-2011, 04:00 PM
Hope you're right. Funny, though, how a team will often play very well after losing one of their better players.

Ture, but St. John's plays with a very high paced tempo and the loss of Kennedy is REALLY going to test their depth at altitude. I think SJU is going to run out of gas with all the options that GU can throw at them. GU's depth is going to pay HUGE dividends this week in Denver.

Of all the 6 seeds (Cinci, Xavier, Georgetown, St. John's), I like the match up against SJU best for GU.

Hoopaholic
03-13-2011, 04:02 PM
they didnt miss him in the open court or transition...where they miss kennedy is the half court sets.......he was critical for their half court offense

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Ture, but St. John's plays with a very high paced tempo and the loss of Kennedy is REALLY going to test their depth at altitude. I think SJU is going to run out of gas with all the options that GU can throw at them. GU's depth is going to pay HUGE dividends this week in Denver.

Of all the 6 seeds (Cinci, Xavier, Georgetown, St. John's), I like the match up against SJU best for GU.

Agree that Zags' depth will be a shock for SJ's. I'm reasonably certain that if the Zags avoid costly turovers and can avoid a lid being on the basket, the depth game will be their ticket to the next game, and so on.

maynard g krebs
03-13-2011, 04:17 PM
This has the feel on 99-01; double digit seed, but better than that with the emergence of MC, SD, DS. Not much expectations from anyone, favorable location and matchups the first 2 rounds.

Best possible scenario. Best draw in years.

ronh_pm
03-13-2011, 04:26 PM
You don't have to stop Jimmer. He scored 30 against the Aztecs in MWC tourney and Aztecs were in control the entire game. It all depends on whether or not Jimmer brings a team with him.

"with the triangle on Jimmer"?, that's funny and the way the rest of the BYU team played in the MWC finals that might be the best idea i've heard yet.

I don't want to get into a cart before the horse debate as SJU will give Gonzaga all they will handle, but yeah, you do have to stop Jimmer and unless I missed something somewhere, the Zags are not the Aztecs. The Aztecs I beleive were 24th in 3 point defense this year....Gonzaga..254th.

If we get past St. Johns, I think stopping Jimmer, who went a *paltry* 10-25 might be a concern.

And I was not totally kidding about a triangle...

When teams send three defenders at Fredette, his cohorts have to make shots, BYU coach Dave Rose said, "especially against San Diego State, because when you turn into a driving team and you try to get to the rim, that's where they're terrific. They've got size. They've got length. They've got athleticism. They make you change your shot at the rim."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310710252

Anyways...back to the task at hand...beat St. Johns!

NEC26
03-13-2011, 04:28 PM
I agree that beating BYU will be a tall task but lets beat Saint Johns first ehh!

IdahoTJR
03-13-2011, 04:40 PM
I remember back in 2008 when as a 7 seed GU got sent east to Raleigh NC to play a 10 seed. This 10 seed was playing at the closet pod to their school. (though it was a lot closer than Spokane to Denver) Davidson behind Curry made a nice run to the elite eight that year and was just a couple of points from the final four.

Fast forward to 2011 A sixth seed gets sent west to play an 11th seed at the pod closest to their school. Hmmmmm!!!

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Coach Lavin in NY Post:

...But hopefully they will see our team has depth. And sometimes a team can use a fallen comrade as motivation to make a run in the NCAA tournament.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/round_john_is_no_seed_will_play_RireoJjuFeiFPh1mIl FT0M#ixzz1GWwGB8NF

btzag
03-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Lavin knows he needs to pull out all the motivation he can to get by GU... Pretty remarkable coaching job to get them to where they are but that is a long flight across country and the crowd should be pro-GU big time. My guess is Vegas might have this one close to even on odds...

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Can we not be a little pissed off about being the SAME SEED as VCU???

The committee really hung the west coast mid-majors. GU an 11 seed, USU a 12 seed, and SMC - bonk.

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Can we not be a little pissed off about being the SAME SEED as VCU???

The committee really hung the west coast mid-majors. GU an 11 seed, USU a 12 seed, and SMC - bonk.

VinnyZag
03-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Who cares about the seeds?

I griped last year when UW got an 11 with great matchups, while GU got an 8 and had to play Syracuse in the second round. It's reversed this season.

I'm more interested in winning games in the tournament than seed numbers. They've got a better chance to win as an 11 seed than as an 8 or even a 7.

MickMick
03-13-2011, 05:14 PM
We weren't even in the conversation two months ago.

To play St. John's out west in Denver, then, if we win, to have BYU with no Brandon Davies?

That, my friends, is about as good as this edition of the Bulldogs could hope for.

I'm happy. Go get 'em, Zags!

You are absolutely correct.

And don't forget that both Pitt and Florida are over seeded.

You look at some of those regions and have to believe that this one is rather light in comparison.

ZagLawGrad
03-13-2011, 05:20 PM
Who cares about the seeds?...

So true. Zags have had much better seeding in past years with not much to show for it. Just gotta win, nothing else to debate.

Baldwinzag
03-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know when the Zags are planning to leave for the Tourney?

I heard St John's is flying out a full day-early(Mon instead of Tue) to help acclimate to Denver's 5280ft elevation.

Might not be a bad idea by Coach Lavin & Co....

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 05:27 PM
So true. Zags have had much better seeding in past years with not much to show for it. Just gotta win, nothing else to debate.

Yeah, you guys are right. I just thought we had some momentum as a two bid conference every year.

And I guess if we are going to get a six in the first round, might as well get a team without a long bench, having just lost their best RB'r and play them in Denver.

Hell, they barely beat Rutgers.

Zagdawg
From a distance the Zags look like they have 3 guys who are our key players (Gray, Sacre and Harris).

We all know there are 6-7 that make up the team--any one of them can have a big game.

Our young guys have developed and are now paying dividends as we move into the tourney.

Looking at the stats for the our current 9 game winning streak.

Carter yearly average 5.9 pts but during the run 12.3 pts.
Dower yearly average 7.6 but during the run 10 pts.
Stockton yearly average 4.4 but during the run 6.5 pts.

With these guys stepping up--it takes the weight off of Gray/Sacre/Harris and gives them the ability to play within themselves rather than forcing shots etc.

Sacre goes to the bench --we may lose some defensive juice, but the scoring is still there with Dower.

The team is in much better shape than our record shows --especially with the early injuries and player development that has taken place over the year.

sittingon50
One day won't help.