PDA

View Full Version : SMC... sorry, Dirt.

U Zig, I Zag
03-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Not surprised, but they took in some teams that I wasn't sure about (USC?) over SMC.

NEC26
03-13-2011, 02:41 PM
USC and Penn state DO NOT belong in this field.

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Man, SMC. That is tough. They had USU as a 12!!!!!! seed, when the committee takes UAB / VCU / USC but not SMC?

U Zig, I Zag
03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
If they didn't have to take us, I am not sure they would have - really.

NotoriousZ
03-13-2011, 02:44 PM
that God is not a Gael.

This really sucks, sorry St. Mary's. Score one more for the major conferences.

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 02:45 PM
NO WAY would we be in.

Das Zagger
03-13-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm surprised USC was rewarded for having their coach suspended and a 19-14 record.

That's my only gripe about the teams that made it in.

mendiant
03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
My regards to St Mary's...they deserved to be in...bad break.

love,
mendiant

Zagdawg
03-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Sorry Gaels---you should have been in.

Zagpower
03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Five teams make the tourney with 14 losses. In prior 25 years, only 6 total teams have made tourney with that many losses.

gueastcoast
03-13-2011, 02:58 PM
St. Mary's had to overcome the usual challenges: east coast bias, BCS bias, and having no established national rep. If the roles had been reversed and they had won the WCC tourney, we would have had an edge on the national rep having made it over that bar with our success of the last decade+, but the east coast/BCS tyranny might still have boxed us out.

EuroZag2010
03-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Vcu ??? Gotta be kidding me !!! Sorry fellas

CB4
03-13-2011, 03:01 PM
SMC had their chance to be in the tournament by winning the WCC.

MickMick
03-13-2011, 03:06 PM
USD cost them both the outright conference championship and a ticket to the dance.

Wearing that target on your back isn't that easy. The last place team will scratch your eyes out if given the chance.

ZagAddict
03-13-2011, 03:06 PM
There are a lot of arguements for teams that should have been in, but SMC wasn't close...

Harvard
Colorado
Viriginia Tech

all teams that would have been in ahead of SMC. SMC's need to schedule Weber State really was a red flag that showed they felt they had to do something extra to bolster their resume.

Good luck in the NIT...

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I never want to hear PAC 10 fans complain about East Coast bias again. USC getting in is an absolute joke. I honestly would consider USC to beat an average team AT BEST.

BongKrosby
03-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Losing at USD cost them a bid.

They had their chance. No tears shed here.

jimmy b
03-13-2011, 03:43 PM
but I think allowing 5 teams in with 14 losses is a joke.
Personally I would have left them out but certainly closer than UAB or VCU

chirguy
03-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Worse to me was Michigan State. They got in on history.

Zags, you can beat SJU!

webspinnre
03-13-2011, 03:48 PM
SMC's need to schedule Weber State really was a red flag that showed they felt they had to do something extra to bolster their resume.

SMC scheduled Weber State as a favor to get a player a medical redshirt, not as a resume booster. They had far more to lose than gain from a pure resume standpoint.

kclubfounder
03-13-2011, 03:50 PM
Because of our non-conference schedule, and because of how we finished, we had a WAY better chance of surviving a loss in the WCC championship game than SMC.

SMC, schedule better in the non-conference.

And finish stronger.

Dirt McGirt
03-13-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm not shedding any tears. I didn't expect us to get a bid based on our resume. Like I said earlier, if I was a non-biased member of the selection committee, I don't think I would have put us in. sure there are teams that are in who aren't as good as SMC, but there are better teams that are left out.

Randy was quoted as saying two things in the chronicle. 1) There should be a system like the rankings in college football, so that everyone knows where they stand and everything is fair. 2) He's not sure what else the team could have done to prove to the committee that they deserve to be in.

I agree with the first statement. The second statement is a joke. Gee I don't know. How about not losing to the worst team in our conference? How about not spotting San Diego St 14 pts to start the game? How about beating a Utah State team that is the most mediocre 30 win team in the history of college basketball?

MJ777
03-13-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm not shedding any tears. I didn't expect us to get a bid based on our resume. Like I said earlier, if I was a non-biased member of the selection committee, I don't think I would have put us in. sure there are teams that are in who aren't as good as SMC, but there are better teams that are left out.

Randy was quoted as saying two things in the chronicle. 1) There should be a system like the rankings in college football, so that everyone knows where they stand and everything is fair. 2) He's not sure what else the team could have done to prove to the committee that they deserve to be in.

I agree with the first statement. The second statement is a joke. Gee I don't know.How about not losing to the worst team in our conference? How about not spotting San Diego St 14 pts to start the game? How about beating a Utah State team that is the most mediocre 30 win team in the history of college basketball?

You have a good humorous perspective Dirt. Good Luck to SMC against the Golden Flashes on Tuesday.

NewLookZag
03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
but I think allowing 5 teams in with 14 losses is a joke.
Personally I would have left them out but certainly closer than UAB or VCU

Gotta disagree Jimmy.. I think USC is bad as far as post season teams go. If you can't win more than 10 games in the PAC 10 this year, you should be in the NIT.

Reborn
03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
My regards to St Mary's...they deserved to be in...bad break.

love,
mendiant

ditto

EuroZag2010
03-14-2011, 12:30 AM
As bouncy as Selection Sunday was for Gonzaga, with the overriding certainty, it was cruel to WCC brother Saint Mary's, jilted by the committee for its skid down the stretch. Typifying the intensity of a sizzling rivalry, Zags guard Marquise Carter said, "We were really happy to see them not make it."

On a conference call, veteran teammates Robert Sacre and Steven Gray tried, without much success, to soften the harshness of Carter's words. Said Gray, "If it comes down to us or them it sort of played out that way we're happy to be where we're at right now."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2014488928_withers14.html

zagfan08
03-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Worse to me was Michigan State. They got in on history.

Zags, you can beat SJU!

That win over Purdue in the conference tourney didn't help at all huh?

SunDevilGolfZag
03-14-2011, 05:09 AM
There are a lot of arguements for teams that should have been in, but SMC wasn't close...

Harvard
Colorado
Viriginia Tech

all teams that would have been in ahead of SMC. SMC's need to schedule Weber State really was a red flag that showed they felt they had to do something extra to bolster their resume.

Good luck in the NIT...

+1 . . . No Polyanna condolences for St. Mary's from this fan

IrishEv211
03-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Couldn't agree more Chirguy...Mich St. has lost 6 of their last 12 games in an over rated Big 10...USC also was a pick outta nowhere...I do feel bad for St Marys a little bit, only because they are a team that can win some games in March if they get hot like last year...as for the Zags, I have to like our matchup against a good St. Johns team without DJ Kennedy seeing how St Marys was able to take them down early in the season....all in all, GO ZAGS and sorry for the Gaels

Beer_Engineer
03-14-2011, 06:59 AM
I for one am glad SMC didnt get in. They may have deserved it, but the only team I would have bumped is VCU. USC played enough teams to garner a birth IMO. I also think Colorado deserved an at large before SMC.

Sure it would have looked better in the eyes of the country to have two WCC teams, but they shoulda taken care of business.

The committee obviously rewarded teams scheduling up this year. I think GU would have gotten in had we lost to SMC in the title game just for the fact that we scheduled and played so many away games.