PDA

View Full Version : gumbel?

jazzdelmar
03-13-2011, 12:17 PM
is this the year greg gumbel becomes undead? with greg having expired a decade or so ago, will the new format -- which blessedly minimizes his on air time -- prod him to actually breathe? gumbel always looks bored, seemingly not wasting a gram of energy until the final four. perhaps haughtiness is a family trait -- abboud-clad bryant is nonpareil at it. love kenny the jet and greg anthony, if not for their actual experience on the court as for their enthusiasm. one more thing: does seth davis pick gu for the f4 again?

TokyoZag
03-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Seth Davis has been burned by GU so many times...

Remember when he picked us to win it all? I'm pretty sure we lost in the first round that year.

Bogozags
03-13-2011, 12:57 PM
is this the year greg gumbel becomes undead? with greg having expired a decade or so ago, will the new format -- which blessedly minimizes his on air time -- prod him to actually breathe? gumbel always looks bored, seemingly not wasting a gram of energy until the final four. perhaps haughtiness is a family trait -- abboud-clad bryant is nonpareil at it. love kenny the jet and greg anthony, if not for their actual experience on the court as for their enthusiasm. one more thing: does seth davis pick gu for the f4 again?

I really do not appreciate Gumbel anymore...has it been ten years? I hate their half time shows with him and glad Kellog(?) is another one...it will be nice to hear the "Round Mound of Rebound," Kenny Smith and Greg Anthony..fresh faces with different perspectives...still wish the games were on ESPN and also want a Div1 playoff in football but...

CDC84
03-13-2011, 01:08 PM
still wish the games were on ESPN

Problem is, ESPN wanted a tourney field of 96.

Clark Kellogg and his "cute" style is really, really starting to grow old. I'm glad they have Steve Kerr on the team, who I am liking.

I still wish Billy Raff could've been Packer's replacement, but he probably couldn't extricate himself from his obligations to ESPN during the regular season.

As far as the studio guys are concerned, having four analysts at the table is a little bit too much. But I could really care less about the studio guys during the tournament because when halftime comes up on one station, I just switch to another game.

Bogozags
03-13-2011, 01:29 PM
"...still wish the games were on ESPN..."

Yeah, it is too bad that their magic number was 96 BUT I remember when ESPN just had ESPN and they did a bang-up job of showing the first weekends' games. It was about basketball and not entertainment as it is now...maybe I am old school and miss the "good ole days"...

When listening to Kerr, he has a different perspective and he is awfully, awfully smart...didn't he play for IU and Coach Knight? If so, the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree...

DixieZag
03-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Greg Gumble has become a tired act; I would actually love to see a shake up where Bryant came back, though we can hate on him all day long for his arrogance (they all have it) - he really isn't afraid to "go there" with the tougher questions. Love having Charles on ANYTHING - talk about not being afraid to say "hey, that emporrer doesn't have clothes"

I really liked Mike Tirico hosting ESPN's shows during the week and like everyone else, I wish ESPN owned the rights to the tournament, 4 channels, the most/best announcers, every game on live.

Zagregious
03-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Kerr went to Arizona under Lute (so not terribly different), made the final four his senior year with Sean Elliot.

Bogozags
03-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Greg Gumble has become a tired act; I would actually love to see a shake up where Bryant came back, though we can hate on him all day long for his arrogance (they all have it) - he really isn't afraid to "go there" with the tougher questions. Love having Charles on ANYTHING - talk about not being afraid to say "hey, that emporrer doesn't have clothes"

I really liked Mike Tirico hosting ESPN's shows during the week and like everyone else, I wish ESPN owned the rights to the tournament, 4 channels, the most/best announcers, every game on live.

+1