• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SLOZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Tidbits from Marquise

A cpuple of great quotes from Marquise here. I don't recall reading them elsewhere:

"“Not being able to play as much, it was frustrating, but I had teammates, I had coaches and I had a supporting cast like my bigger brother and like my dad,” he said. “Everybody telling me positive things, telling me things will come to me if I keep working hard. And believe it or not, I kept working hard and getting in the gym and just working out and trying to get better and just everything fell into place for me.”

"The most important advice he heard was from his brother: to remain coachable, Carter said.

"“That’s what I did and everything started falling into place for me,” he said."

Media Newswire, Press, Press Release, Press Releases, Public Relations, IR, Investor Relations, newswire, news wire, headlines, news, todays news, latest news

While it doesn't come as a complete surprise, I'm always jazzed to hear how competitors for PT can come up big when offering support to a teammate. And Marquise's brother's contribution seemed to me to be just about perfect -- offering advice too easily overlooked when things aren"t going well.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy
  • Knotsolucky
    Kennel Club Material
    • Nov 2008

Good read...

Thanks SLOZag...

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

Great quotes- speaks a lot of his character and of those around him. Carter's story should give some pause to those who write those "Player X should transfer" posts. Just because things don't start out so well doesn't mean they have to end that way. The finishes for Carter and Dower, who both had slow starts, give me hope for Manny and the like. Patience is a virtue, they say, and I tend to agree- for players and fans.

Comment

• zagfan24
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

Patience and Hard Work

I think it says a lot about Marquise and the people around him that he took this path. I think for freshman, and even more so for juco transfers, it is so hard to get used to having a reduced role or diminished playing time.

Marquette has had two freshman -- Jeronne Maymon and Reggie Smith -- leave int he past two seasons because they weren't getting enough pt or, in Maymon's case, wasn't the focal point of the offense. It's one thing to leave because you don't see yourself ever playing a major role (I think both GG and Andy Poling exemplify this), it's another to leave because you aren't in that position immediately.

How fortunate for the Zags that Marquise worked hard, remained "coachable," and came up so big when we needed him most.

Comment

• bigblahla
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
          Great quotes- speaks a lot of his character and of those around him. Carter's story should give some pause to those who write those "Player X should transfer" posts. Just because things don't start out so well doesn't mean they have to end that way. The finishes for Carter and Dower, who both had slow starts, give me hope for Manny and the like. Patience is a virtue, they say, and I tend to agree- for players and fans.
          Good points JP.

It's a team game.

Go!! Zags!!!
          "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Comment

• TacomaZAG
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

Thanks, SLO..........

Words to live by for all of us, congrats to Marquise and his circle of friends/family for continuing to encourage him throughout the adjustment period.

But, the greatest accolades in this situation should be, and are in this thread, reserved for the young man himself, not just for waiting and working until the opportunity presented itself, but more for making the most of the opportunity WHEN it presented itself. Planning and preparation are both good things, but what sets some apart is the implementation of the planning and preparation. Planning and preparation are of no value if the implementation never comes. The opportunity for implementation always comes, the ability, preparation, and desire to grab it during that fleeting moment is what it's all about.

Ready, aim, FIRE is the way to live, sometimes even ready, FIRE, aim.

Ready, aim, aim, aim, aim, aim..........is no way to go.

Congrats, Marquise.........

Go ZAGS

Comment

• MedZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SLOZag View Post
              "The most important advice he heard was from his brother: to remain coachable, Carter said.
              Love this quote.
              Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
              You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• Chicken Ball
                Kennel Club
                • Feb 2007

Bingo. Hope Carter is saying all those same things to Arop, Keita, and Monninghoof

Comment

Working...
                X