PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article About Gray

SLOZag
06-16-2007, 04:02 PM
A nice article about Steven, and other Washington basketball prospects:
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2007/jun/16/kitsap-sun-athletes-of-the-year-spartan-sweep/

BobZag
06-16-2007, 05:11 PM
:)

Gray's been working with a trainer on his quickness and agility, as per Gonzaga orders. He's also been working on his ball-handling skills so he can be an option at point guard for the Zags.

But what the Bulldogs are waiting for is his shooting stroke.

Gonzaga graduated Derek Ravio, one of the program's best-ever shooters. Gonzaga assistant coach Leon Rice figures that Gray will need to take some of those shots. And the fact that Gray's just a freshman won't keep him from getting it. Last year, Matt Bouldin was third in the team in minutes as a frosh.

And here's the real key: Gray can shoot it.

"It's my personal opinion, he's one of the best high school kids in the country coming off screens and shooting," Rice said. "Or right there."

And when the 3-point line is moved back for 2008-09, Rice figures it will help a player such as Gray.

"Moving it back a foot sorts out the guys who can shoot it and who can't," Rice said.

Of course, nobody is handing Gray minutes, but they're still happy to welcome a shooter in a program that harvests shooters.

"We think we're getting a kid who's looking to make an impact right away," Rice said.

JAGzag
06-16-2007, 08:08 PM

Gonzaga graduated Derek Ravio, one of the program's best-ever shooters.

Really? I was a DRAV fan, but one of the all time best program shooters? I would take a handful of players in the last ten years over DRAV for that "final shot" - and that matters the most.

CDC84
06-16-2007, 09:54 PM
I would take a handful of players in the last ten years over DRAV for that "final shot" - and that matters the most.

There is a difference between being a great shooter and being the guy that takes the final shot. They aren't the same thing. I think we can all think of guys that are great shooters that aren't necessarily guys who can create off the dribble with the shot clock ticking down.

D-Rav shot 42% from 3 point land during his career at Gonzaga. I am confident that his percentage would be higher had he not suffered that back injury during his junior year that severely effected his jump shot. He's one of the better shooters the program has had...especially when you factor in the non-conference schedule he had to face compared to some previous Zag players.

But he certainly is not the best....that title has to belong to Dickau, who shot 47.1% from 3 ball land as a Zag. Heck, Dickau was one of the best 3 point shooters the country has seen since the 3 point line was put in place in the 80's.

gamagin
06-17-2007, 08:04 AM
who may have been the best shooter, and who took, or actually got the shot, and made it, when all hell was breaking loose ?

I would have been comfortable with DR taking the last shot in any number of games, especialy his senior year.

The problem is most of our opponents were just as uncomfortable with same. So he was dogged by the best teams from beginning to end. Maybe that is the true sign of his respect -- as accorded by others.

His lack of height worked against him, too, because the man chasing him was usually a taller, quicker fellow whose only job was to not give him ANY daylight. He only needed a flicker of light to get a shot off.

So, we'll never know how good he could have been as the go to guy. I doubt anyone will surpass his free throw record -- something he nearly perfected under every circumstance possible.

that said, there were, as noted, a number of great shooters. but I think DR belongs in the mix when the best shooters are mentioned at GU.

Burgess & Ammo pop up for me as top guns when it came to reliability and consistency during their GU careers. But there are many more.

And from the looks of things, the future looks bright as well.

I think it's important to note that those players coming into the program are mostly doing so because of the elite list of prior shooters and athletes that GU has attracted over a long period of time.

In other words, the legacy, the word on the street, is alive and well.

MickMick
06-17-2007, 08:40 AM
I agree with Gamagin. It isn't just the school's reputation. The school's style of play will attract players of that style. Gonzaga will always be a magnet for great shooters.

On a final note: DRav will be discussed of and placed within the same list as all of the other great Gonzaga guards. At least by me anyway.

BobZag
06-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Steven Gray
Rotnei Clarke

sonuvazag
06-18-2007, 08:56 AM
John Rillie. Not as high a percentage as Dan Dickau, but he was an amazing shooter and usually never from closer than 24 feet.

.........................G 3P 3PA 3P%
92-93 Gonzaga....28 43 107 40.2
93-94 Gonzaga....28 86 187 46.0
94-95 Gonzaga....30 96 217 44.2
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Div I TOTALS.......86 225 511 44.0

GonzagaGurl08
06-18-2007, 10:18 AM
I can't wait for him (and the other guys) to get on campus, to the COG, and in uniform. Basketball season couldn't come any quicker. We have a great group of young gun's coming in next year, it's going to be great!!!

jake
06-18-2007, 10:27 AM
In the OR/WA all-star game, Gray's shot was definitely off, but to me it didn't look super pure or smooth. It didn't look bad, but I"m surprised to here he is viewed as one of the best in the country shooting off screens. Did I just catch him on an off night for his jumper?

Regarding John Rillie, his shooting performance in the WCC tournament his senior year was the most impressive I've ever seen. Wasn't he something like 21-27 from behind the arc over three games?

sonuvazag
06-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Regarding John Rillie, his shooting performance in the WCC tournament his senior year was the most impressive I've ever seen. Wasn't he something like 21-27 from behind the arc over three games?That's right. The first tournament birth and he was locked in. Rillie is the first person I thought of when it was mentioned R. Clarke's 74 threes in a row. Rillie was known to shoot like that, but Rillie was "only" a shooter. That can't be emphasized enough. He was not a get-his-own-shot player at all.