PDA

View Full Version : Adam to Testify - Senate subcommittee Tuesday

ZagNative
06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
Wow. Pretty darned impressive!

JDRF International Chairman Mary Tyler Moore Leads Senate Hearing to Request Increased Federal Funding for Type 1 Diabetes Research (http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,123331.shtml)

WHO: JDRF [Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation] International Chairman Mary Tyler Moore, Professional Basketball Player for the Charlotte Bobcats Adam Morrison, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Director Dr. Griffin Rodgers and a select group of Children's Congress 2007 Delegates.

WHAT: This group will provide testimony before the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs in "The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and the Federal Government: A Model Public-Private Partnership Accelerating Research Toward a Cure," a hearing about the urgent need for an increase in federal funding for research of diabetes and its complications to help find a cure.

Now I just have to figure out why they're going to be before the Homeland Security Committee. Good Grief! Is it possible we could see Joe Lieberman and Adam Morrison in one photo frame? Adam! Say it ain't so!

Edited to add:

From other news, in the Winstom-Salem Journal today (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173351654891&path=!localnews&s=1037645509099) - in the category of "How the heck is he going to manage his schedule?"

[New Bobcats' coach Sam] Vincent said veterans Raymond Felton, Adam Morrison, Alan Anderson and Ryan Hollins have all agreed to play on Charlotte's summer league team next month. "Especially Raymond, that was very important for me," Vincent said. "He's a guy that we want to have a little bit more leadership from on the team." ... Vincent said while he hasn't talked to leading scorer Gerald Wallace, who will likely opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent, he wants him to return. "I think he brings a very strong element to this team," Vincent said.

LynetteG
06-15-2007, 03:33 PM
who was the ball hog who would never pass AM the ball? i can't remember...

MDABE80
06-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Abe< rolls eyes

mendiant
06-15-2007, 04:09 PM
Very cool!

Coincidentally, I was visiting my endrochrinologist today (I'm now on the gila monster spit - byetta - rx --woohoo).

Hopefully, there will be some equally impressive people standing up for the type 2 folks.

This disease is seriously EPIDEMIC.

And I'm becoming more and more convinced that certain corporate cultures are responsible for this epidemic.

Yesterday, our staff meeting included "great news" about how productivity will be increased since some focus team found a way for people to stay glued to their seats rather than get up to the printer to gather work.

Movement and muscle building are two great ways to counteract the effects of this disease...

Computers are wonderful tools, but there is a serious downside...

Akzag
06-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Now I just have to figure out why they're going to be before the Homeland Security Committee.

This is what you get when you have posters of Che and Karl Marx. :p

Seriously, good on him ... and good luck to them. Too bad Bill Bradley won't be making an appearance on the committee. That would have been fun.

As far as his busy schedule I heard that Dr. Krause is dabbling in the travel reservations market. (Again, j/k ... :p )

ZagNative
06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Nice, AKZag! Of course! Che and Marx references my second good cackle of the day.

Mendiant, we'll be thinking of you when Adam testifies. Hey! Who stole your laptop? Can we send in a sandwich or something?

http://mspowell.com/discoveryclipart/chained%20to%20desk.bmp

GonzagaGurl08
06-16-2007, 05:00 AM
That is awesome that Adam will be testifying. It will be good exposure for him and GU too.

mendiant
06-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Mendiant, we'll be thinking of you when Adam testifies. Hey! Who stole your laptop? Can we send in a sandwich or something?

http://mspowell.com/discoveryclipart/chained%20to%20desk.bmp

Perfect cartoon AK!!!

Matter of fact, we have Sodexo at our corporate campus; no sandwich needed.
:rolleyes:

We are let out every 2 hours or so to take a stroll around the block if we choose.;)

Thanks for the thoughts :D

beatProgram
06-18-2007, 06:56 PM
This disease is seriously EPIDEMIC.

And I'm becoming more and more convinced that certain corporate cultures are responsible for this epidemic.

Yesterday, our staff meeting included "great news" about how productivity will be increased since some focus team found a way for people to stay glued to their seats rather than get up to the printer to gather work.

Movement and muscle building are two great ways to counteract the effects of this disease...

Computers are wonderful tools, but there is a serious downside...

I don't know why, but I have a very hard time categorizing a condition that is most often (when it's not at birth) the direct result of a metabolic dysfunction created by wide-spread fundamentally poor lifestyle choices as a "disease." Though I suppose it's entirely possible that people, by-and-large, are tethered to a desk against their will the other 16+ hours of the day they're not sleeping.

It just seems tantamount to most all of society carrying around a ball-peen hammer and willfully cracking themselves in the skull with it several times a day, and then calling the ensuing head trauma a "disease."

Regardless, it's great to see Ammo involved in battling for what he believes in at such a high level. I can certainly think of worse ways to flex one's celebrity (Randolph I'm looking at you).

I'd love to know what the hell Homeland Security has to do with any of it.

mendiant
06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't know why, but I have a very hard time categorizing a condition that is most often (when it's not at birth) the direct result of a metabolic disfunction created by wide-spread fundamentally poor lifestyle choices as a "disease." Though I suppose it's entirely possible that people, by-and-large, are tethered to a desk against their will the other 16+ hours of the day they're not sleeping.

It just seems tantamount to most all of society carrying around a ball-peen hammer and willfully cracking themselves in the skull with it several times a day, and then calling the ensuing head trauma a "disease."

Wow, bP, another brilliant post.

Couple of things, there is most often a genetic pre disposition to diabetes type 2. Latinos, African Americans and as in my case, American Indian heritage are all markers for diabetes 2.

Yes, sedentary lifestyles are a big part of it as well. But as I stated in my post, being chained to the PC 8 - 10 hours a day does not help. One must pay the bills.

As for math 8 + 8 + 8 = 24 and it's dysfunction, not "disfunction."

Yes, I do love my ball peen hammer of excuses; but it is nothing, my dear, compared to the head trauma I receive from bangng my head against the wall after reading one of your ill conceived posts.

Have a lovely day.

beatProgram
06-19-2007, 01:58 AM
Wow, bP, another brilliant post.

Couple of things, there is most often a genetic pre disposition to diabetes type 2. Latinos, African Americans and as in my case, American Indian heritage are all markers for diabetes 2.

Yes, sedentary lifestyles are a big part of it as well. But as I stated in my post, being chained to the PC 8 - 10 hours a day does not help. One must pay the bills.

As for math 8 + 8 + 8 = 24 and it's dysfunction, not "disfunction."

Yes, I do love my ball peen hammer of excuses; but it is nothing, my dear, compared to the head trauma I receive from bangng my head against the wall after reading one of your ill conceived posts.

Have a lovely day.

I have to be "chained" to a PC often, for consecutive days at a time on occasion (read; without sleep), in my line of work. Yet somehow I manage to wholly avoid refined sugar, saturated fats, and still get some exercise in. A quick bike ride, maybe a few sets of push-ups here and there, or an hour at the park shooting hoops.

Our society certainly makes being unhealthy the convenient choice, but I'll never cease to be amazed by people who blame personally avoidable physiological ills (again, in common cases) on some manageable scapegoat.

I'm as much for changing the face of the corporate office as anybody, but to provide it as something of an inescapable condition seems spurious at best. Nobody is forcing McDonalds, Taco Bell, and fizzy-sugar-water down anyone's throat. Just because the only food in the office comes chocolate-coated out of a vending machine doesn't mean one has to settle for it.

As for the math, I assumed a maximum of 8 hours of sleep, leaving at least 16 hours each day for forcibly desk chained activity. 255 - 90 = 165. That's the math on the change in weight over a 6 month period of time a few years ago once I finally decided take responsibility for my lifestyle, and 0 is the amount it has fluctuated since.

All done while holding down a strictly cubicle-bound desk job; clattering away at a keyboard for 10+ hours every day, and a few weekends and the occasional round-the-clock session mixed in for extra stress induction.

But you're absolutely right. Nobody is doing this to themselves, and there's no possible way to combat it with a change in personal priorities. There are powerful secret forces causing obesity and, by correlation, diabetes to grow to "epidemic" proportion in our society unfettered. Thank God we've finally uncovered one of them. The dreaded desk chain and radiation box. Instead of that old hammer I suppose it'd be more effective to carry around bolt cutters.

SintoZag
06-19-2007, 05:08 AM
Here is the link you want to watch the hearing. I think Adam is in the first panel, so if you want to see his statment tune in around 9:30. It probably will not start on time, but he will be one of the first to speak.

http://hsgac.senate.gov/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Hearings.Live

ZagNative
06-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Adam's printed statement for the hearing, PDF file (http://hsgac.senate.gov/_files/061907Morrison.pdf)

In closing, the statement says:

To the Senators in this room, I want to ask you to do everything in your power to help us find a cure by funding the best research that we possibly can have in this country. The insulin that we take is not a cure, but simply a life support. We must continue to strive for a cure. Congress can and must reauthorize and fund the Special Diabetes Program that gives us all hope. We must allow scientists to take full advantage of the research opportunities that currently exist that may lead to new treatments and a cure. Have the determination, focus, and discipline for a win here today. Please fund diabetes research…it is life or death for so many of us.

More about Reauthorization of the Special Diabetes Programs (http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/federal_legislation/reauthorization.jsp)

More about funding for Diabetes research (http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/federal_legislation/diabetes-epidemic.jsp)

The research funding reauthorization being sought relates to Type 1 diabetes only.