PDA

View Full Version : ESPN rumors: NBA for Gonzaga's Sacre?

Baldwinzag
03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
A rather intriguing tidbit offered by ESPN's Joe Kaiser this morning regarding Sacre's chances at declaring for the NBA after the season. Apparently, this draft class is the thinnest for Centers its been in years.

Where did this NBA attn come from all of sudden? Ranked #146th doesn't seem like a draftee to me, but they seem to think otherwise...if we make a deep run, anyone is fair game at that point.

Considering its an INSIDER (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors)article I was unable to re-post the entire column, yere here is a teaser:

In a NBA draft year so thin at the center position, could a rapidly improving, experienced 7-footer like Gonzaga's Robert Sacre be the type of player to jump at the chance to leave college early for the NBA? Pure speculation here, but we don't see why there isn't at least a chance.

Sacre is a fourth-year junior with the Zags -- a stress fracture caused him to repeat his sophomore season -- who has blossomed this year in Spokane. He's active, gritty, tough and, oh yes, he hits his free throws (up from 63 percent last year to 83 percent this year). Sacre's averages are up to 12.5 points, 6.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game this season, coming in only 25.7 minutes per game.

You can't teach 7-feet, and for that reason alone it's easy to envision NBA teams becoming enamored by Sacre if his solid season continues into the NCAA tournament (especially if Gonzaga makes a deep run). Sacre is listed No. 146 on Chad Ford's Big Board and the No. 14 ranked center.

This is something to keep an eye on, particularly

FuManShoes
03-08-2011, 08:51 AM
I again maintain Sacre has to get a lot better with his legs and hands to stick in the NBA. Sure he'll get looks. What 7-foot chiseled dude who can run the floor and hit free throws wouldn't? But to stick he has got to finish and react better. We saw glimpses of his defensive potential last night with the blocks. We also saw his biggest bugaboo - an inability to finish strong in traffic. Would he declare this year? Perhaps if it meant getting a look at camps. Since he can declare and still come back, maybe it's worth his while to do so.

gamagin
03-08-2011, 09:00 AM
to go to some camp and actually work on his weaknesses and nothing else for as long as it takes. He does need that kind of development, imo.

Not saying he can't improve mightily in a Zag uniform, but it might become questionable whether he can develop as much as he needs for the next level.

He is a fourth year student at GU, even though he is a junior in eligibility. So anything is possible.

If he were my son, I'd strongly recommend he look at his options.

EuroZag2010
03-08-2011, 09:01 AM
ESPN shown live to the zags keep replaying the game !!

hooter73
03-08-2011, 09:12 AM
agree he has too much work to do to be an active NBA player right now. the weak draft plus a Calvery-esque run for Rob in the tourny and I wouldnt be completely surprised but I sure dont think he'll leave early.

Oregonzagnut
03-08-2011, 09:34 AM
but Sacre should do what is best for his future if finances are a priority for his life or family. But what is best for his future is to not think about the NBA or next year and worry about winning 6 more games.

If we go deep it won't just be Sacre that gets draft consideration, so lets us Fans enjoy what we have now.

Das Zagger
03-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Above average free throw shooter for a big man and a nice jumper.

But Robert has difficulty elevating in a crowd.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him declare but I would be surprised to see him stay in the draft.

Oregonzagnut
03-08-2011, 09:53 AM
a nice jumper.

I was thinking this actually was a weakness of his. His jump shot is usually too strong and he hesitates a second too long.

Sacre should not bulk up anymore. IMO it is affecting development of his mechanics. But he is the perfect prospect. He has the body and look of a superstar but doesn't quite know how to use it all yet. Give me a Ferrari and I'll look like my grandma because I can't drive it to its potential. But give the same car to Earnhardt Jr. and you are going to see what it can do. Sacre is still learning to drive his Ferrari. Its going to be his decision to learn more at Gonzaga or learn the rest in the NBA.

DCZag
03-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I love Rob and what he brings - yes he could finish better in traffic - but he has been here 4 yrs and I, for one, would not begrudge him if he looks into the NBA. Almost every student at GU at the 4 yr mark is thinking about getting a job.....

I'd love for him to stay ----- but for now, let's enjoy the ride and see what happens after the Dance.

DADoZAG
03-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I again maintain Sacre has to get a lot better with his legs and hands to stick in the NBA.

Agree, and am somewhat disappointed in his footwork development. It's better, but still has some way to go.

He also either has very small hands, or sweats profusely because he has the worst grip.

It may be a stupid thought, but how about trying gloves? Is that legal?

Go ZAGS!

TokyoZag
03-08-2011, 10:16 AM
Sacre had better hands before his wrist injury...

Was a better finisher then too.

U Zig, I Zag
03-08-2011, 10:49 AM
7-foot dunks in the NBA. 7-foot can dribble pretty well in the NBA. 7-foot needs good hands and a deft touch in the NBA. 7-foot is as much a passer as a shooter in the NBA.

These are all things Rob can get better at next year at GU and increase his odds of moving into the first round. Zag's coaching staff can get him there. He needs to stay in Spokane and work off-season with former players, etc. Whatever the rules allow you to get away with.

Jedster
03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see him declare but I would be surprised to see him stay in the draft.

I definitely see this as a strong possibility so he can get some feedback from the pros. Then pull out of the draft before the deadline. If I understand correctly, you can declare, then pull out at the deadline, but then if you declare again, you have to go. With only one year of eligibility left, what would he have to lose?

DADoZAG
03-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Sacre had better hands before his wrist injury...

Was a better finisher then too.

I disagree.

Go ZAGS!

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I definitely see this as a strong possibility so he can get some feedback from the pros. Then pull out of the draft before the deadline. If I understand correctly, you can declare, then pull out at the deadline, but then if you declare again, you have to go. With only one year of eligibility left, what would he have to lose?

I thought that the either the NCAA or the NBA recently shortened the amount of time that players were allowed to "test the waters" before they could no longer choose to come back to school. Is that true? If so, does that give a player who isn't sure he wants to declare any meaningful opportunity to evaluate his draft stock and then decide not to stay in the draft?

allnet59
03-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Overall skill level he wouldn't make it unless a lot of time spent working with good post player types of coaching. Robert needs to play with a toughness he still doesn't have. He looked good midway through the season when he would soon and shoot without taking a dribble bent over in traffic. But being a four year student he still might test the waters but I don't think he would make it.

Oregonzagnut
03-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Outside of the money, I bet Austin Daye wishes he was playing for Gonzaga right now instead of Detroit. Heck, I bet Morrison would trade his 2 NBA rings for 1 more shot at a N.C.

You can NEVER get your eligibility back once you lose it. If you are THAT good, the NBA will still be there.

Baldwinzag
03-08-2011, 02:59 PM
He's 7', 260 lbs. Given his size alone, he'll be an NBA prospect the rest of his playing career at Gonzaga or beyond.

His stock will remain solid no matter the circumstances.

He's one of about 10 players in NCAA hoops with his size; its not like he's some 6'2" PG who is competing against thousands of other players w/same size/skillset. In that instance, your so-called "stock" matters most as it becomes a case of marketing, playing ability, and striking while the iron is hot.

Whether he declares this season or the next, he's going to be riding pine for a couple seasons IF he makes the NBA, so might as well hold out and finish out your college degree and experience.

Rob Sacre is not Austin Daye. He'll most likely never be a "Lottery Pick" anyway, so stay another year, develop your game, and earn a higher pick than late-2nd Round as it stands right now.

He has the potential to be a 1st-Round pick, but he needs to refine his game a bit more and sustain a consistent effort throughout a season.

Gonzdb8
03-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Outside of the money, I bet Austin Daye wishes he was playing for Gonzaga right now instead of Detroit. Heck, I bet Morrison would trade his 2 NBA rings for 1 more shot at a N.C.

You can NEVER get your eligibility back once you lose it. If you are THAT good, the NBA will still be there.

the nba might still be there but a year of your potential career will be gone. the average length of an nba career is around 5 years. if a team is willing to draft you high and pay you a boatload of cash you make the jump and don't look back. i never played d1 hoops (or any d1 sport for that matter) but i'm pretty sure a shot at a NC isn't worth a million + in lost earnings.

2wiceright
03-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Sacre seems more like Turioff, loves the campus experience and all that comes with it. Just my impression, but I think he could benefit greatly staying another year, and money isn't everything - in the long run it could almost even out. The advantage to staying, along with loving his lifestyle right now, friends, etc., is the leap forward he will benefit from by better guards getting him the ball when and where he needs it on a much more regular basis. That could come from Davids improvements in the off season, or more likely a point guard like Pangos making a living getting it to Rob, a lot more, opening the center up more by him or Bell (I've soaked up the Kool Aid) pulling up for endless 3's if other teams cheat by doubling him. Add to that his own long hours of self improvement and staying one more year might get him noticed more than we can know now. That's my pipe dream anyway!!!
I guess for selfish reasons too, I want him to stay!!!

Oregonzagnut
03-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Sacre seems more like Turioff

I thought Turioff was more like Sacray. :roll:

But seriously, 2wice, I agree with you on Sacre's overall attitude towards what it means to be a Zag and what it means to appreciate your years of college eligibility. Not only the quality of the education and the University, but also the epic nature of our "Streaks", the fact that we really can get a final four this year and next, and that no matter what happens he will not be a lottery pick and he will still have to try out and make the NBA team that might draft him. If you aren't a lottery pick, nothing is guaranteed. But being the senior leader of a Zag team playing for a N.C. next year IS guaranteed. He will not regret coming back again.

Now that the season has panned out like it has, Harris may not even regret his choice now.

MickMick
03-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Look.....I thought Heytvelt was a sure thing.

If Josh doesn't get drafted, I don't see Rob getting drafted. Josh was much more skilled offensively (though not nearly as tough inside).

DixieZag
03-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Sacre is lucky in that the decision will be driven purely by what he sees best for his future. Both of his parents are sucessful professionals and he does not have to jump to the pros to help the family financially as so many young men do.

I agree that Sacre is like Ronny (in fact, there is a new "Ronny" and he is called "Rob" - not better or worse, just a little different) and there may be no player in the NCAA getting more out of his college education and playing days than Rob - and he seems like the type who wants to be part of the team next year. The pros will always be there.

I remember Mitch Albom writing an open letter to a player from Michigan State, considering jumping to the NBA - - Albom noted that all the starting 5 from the Spartans that year had the Michigan State "S" tatooed on to their shoulders, Albom said that he liked that b/c it was a "permanent" mark of where their heart lies and he also asked the player to see if he could find any NBA logo tatooed onto the shoulder of any pro. There is none he said, and that he should remember how wonderful it is to play for your heart.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Stay Rob.

That's all I have to say about that.

maynard g krebs
03-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Sacre isn't as good as Turiaf, and the numbers show it, as does the eye test. And Ronny slipped to the 2nd round.

These writers need to make up something to talk about.

adoptedzag
03-08-2011, 07:50 PM

That is completely not true. Imagine if that knee injury happened to Ammo in college. No more guaranteed contract. Ammo did the right thing. I'm all for love of the game and all that, but this is the real world, and if you have a chance at a multi-million dollar deal to pretty much set you up for life comfortably, you need to declare.

bigblahla
03-09-2011, 07:03 AM
Rob will be at GU. :clap::clap::clap:

Go!! Zags!!!

CarolinaZagFan
03-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Do we know for sure that he is 7 foot? I wouldn't be surprised if he measured in at about 6'10 without shoes at a combine or something official. Maybe it's just an optical illusion because he's thicker than most college 7 footers, but he doesn't look quite 7 foot to me.

rijman
03-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Sacre is listed No. 146 on Chad Ford's Big Board and the No. 14 ranked center.
Those numbers might mean something in the NFL draft, but not very encouraging in the NBA draft. Last year there were only 8 true centers drafted. Let me know when Sacre breaks into Ford's Big Board top 60 and is a top 10 ranked center.

Beer_Engineer
03-09-2011, 08:52 AM
That is completely not true. Imagine if that knee injury happened to Ammo in college. No more guaranteed contract. Ammo did the right thing. I'm all for love of the game and all that, but this is the real world, and if you have a chance at a multi-million dollar deal to pretty much set you up for life comfortably, you need to declare.

+1

titopoet
03-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Look.....I thought Heytvelt was a sure thing.

If Josh doesn't get drafted, I don't see Rob getting drafted. Josh was much more skilled offensively (though not nearly as tough inside).

A couple of things work for Sacre that work against Josh. First, Josh was not a tough guy, so while he has a lot of skill, there is a lot of Euro bigs with equal skill. Also, Josh's problems and rep work against him.

I think NBA people see Big Rob in a similar role to the other GU big in the pros, Turiaf, an enforcer. Rob is one big tough dude and I know pro scouts see him as such. He is also a team and energy guy that is upbeat who does not have a huge ego, again much like Turiaf. He will not cause trouble in the clubhouse. Chances are he will find a place in someones rotation and a spot on 2nd round.

I think though that with the labor strife in the NBA, Sacre will be back next year.

Johnzaga
03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
I am loving the fact that he is finally getting attention and talk about an NBA career. I can't believe it has taken this long. I dont' think for a second that Big Rob would leave early....but I want him getting this kind of attention and I think it would be great for him to go to camps and it will give him better exposure and really point out what he needs to work on for next year! I hope he doesn't play any Canada ball this summer and focuses on NBA improvement and camps. He will be a better Zag next year for it!

Oregonzagnut
03-09-2011, 10:59 AM

If a kid was a genius engineering student at Gonzaga, and Charles Simonyi offered him a million to leave school early, I would say "Go now, run!!", get the degree later. When opportunity knocks, answer. Period. I believe that 100%.

Plus Ammos knee blew out the year after he would have been a senior, not his rookie season. We can "what if" all day long. I should have said "IMO, Ammo and Daye did the right thing.....but". Especially since the instinct is to attack opinions that even hint that leaving early for the NBA is a bad choice.

Sacre should stay if he is going late second. Harris stayed (maybe mistake). Turiaf stayed (not mistake). Hindsight is 20/20.

I have no idea how what I said is "completely not true". Unless Ammo and Daye said to adopted, they never wanted to play in another NCAA tournament for Gonzaga ever again. Then I would lose my bet.