PDA

View Full Version : 3/7 AP Poll ~ Gonzaga #20 this week

TerpZag
03-08-2011, 08:39 AM
The Lady Zags have moved up to #20 in the latest AP Poll.

3/7 AP Poll Link (http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1)

Congratulations Lady Zags!

TerpZag
03-08-2011, 02:46 PM
In this week's ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll, Gonzaga moves up one place to #19.

3/7 ESPN/USA Today Coaches Poll Link that shows how the teams fared this past week (http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/2)

Zagineer
03-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Ok. Here goes. I'm just a college basketball enthusiast and GU fanatic. I'm not a Bracketologist. But I am an Engineer, so I gravitate towards straight math conclusions.

If we're ranked 19 or 20ish, and there are 4 quadrants in the NCAA tourney, seems to me we should be a low 5 seed to a high 6 seed.

What's all this talk about being an 11 seed? :confused:

It seems my entire thought process is off by a factor of 2!! (Or maybe someone else's thought process is off.)

Can someone please explain to me??

U Zig, I Zag
03-09-2011, 09:20 AM
Because they host. I think it came down to them not being a 1,2,3 seed (not realistic) but those seeds (a lot of them) are also hosting. During the WCC champ game they did a pretty good explanation. Made far more sense then I am now, I am sure.

Zagineer
03-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Thanks, UZIZ. I was at the game, but I also recorded it. I'll pay attention for the explanation when I watch the recording,... probably over the weekend.

BobZag
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
It's a bit complcated but ESPN.com's Charlie Creme explained the seeding and basically the seed must be 11 in order for the Zags to play in K2. The women's tourney obviously works differently than the men's.

TerpZag
03-09-2011, 03:43 PM
Ok. Here goes. I'm just a college basketball enthusiast and GU fanatic. I'm not a Bracketologist. But I am an Engineer, so I gravitate towards straight math conclusions.

If we're ranked 19 or 20ish, and there are 4 quadrants in the NCAA tourney, seems to me we should be a low 5 seed to a high 6 seed.

What's all this talk about being an 11 seed? :confused:

It seems my entire thought process is off by a factor of 2!! (Or maybe someone else's thought process is off.)

Can someone please explain to me??

Neer, remember that we are talking about the NCAA here and therefore logic and common sense are out the window. So stop that silly talk before someone gets hurt.;)

While Gonzaga continues to win and climb up the weekly polls, the NCAA Women’s Basketball RPI rankings link (http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weeklyrpi/2011WBBrpi1.html) through March 6th indicates that the Lady Zags are currently #46.

The RPI Ranking calculations are fully endorsed by CDC84 and Jay Bilas as the best thing since sliced bread. In addition, all BCS basketball coaches, especially the men’s team coaches, swear by the RPI rankings. The RPI rankings allow these coaches to argue that their team should be selected to the NCAA Basketball Tournament even though their teams have losing conference records, have losing records on the road and their team’s OOC record does not have a win on an opponent’s home court on their resume. Sorry to get side tracked so now back the original topic.

Gonzaga is one of 16 schools that the NCAA selected a few years ago to be hosts at this year’s NCAA Women’s Basketball Tournament for the first two rounds. As a host university and as a participant in the NCAA Tournament, Gonzaga would be seeded in a position by the NCAA Selection Committee to play the first two rounds at the MAC.

This year, 4 potential #1 seeds (Stanford, UConn, Baylor and Tennessee) are host universities. With their potential selection, these 4 universities would block Gonzaga from being any of the 4 #8 seeds and the 4 #9 seeds. These #8 and #9 seeds would instead be playing at the host #1 sites.

In addition, 2 potential #2 seeds, (Duke and Xavier (Cincinnati is the real host school but the City of Cincinnati is the hometown of Xavier)) are also host schools. With their potential selection, these 2 universities would take off the table two #7 and #10 seeds that would be available to Gonzaga. Again, the two #7 and #10 seeds would instead be playing at the host #2 sites.

Other host universities like Ohio St. (potential #3 seed), Maryland (potential #5 seed) and Penn St. (potential #6 seed) would also remove potential seeding opportunities from consideration by Gonzaga this year.

ESPN’s Charlie Crème’s recent Bracketology as of March 9th (http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology) has Gonzaga listed as a #10 seed playing Houston as a #7 seed at the MAC. #2 seed UCLA is matched against #15 seed Portland State in the bracket.

Gonzaga has played higher seeds in the recent past and won so it is possible that the Lady Zags can do it again at the MAC.

Could Gonzaga be seeded higher? Of course, they could. But would the NCAA Selection Committee put the Lady Zags in one of the two potentially open #7 seeds over the other teams that the NCAA would be considering as a #7 seed? Maybe, but I don’t think so, at this time.

Charlie Crème has also written about this issue recently “When Hosts Aren't Among The Top Seeds” (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=creme_charlie&id=6166197) and explains it a lot better than I do.

ESPN’s Charlie Crème was also the person UZIZ was referring to that was interviewed during the WCC Tournament broadcast.

Neer, it appears that there only a few potential slots for the Lady Zags to be put in considering they are one of the host universities. If Charlie Crème is right both the UCLA and the Houston fans will be complaining loudly about having to play the Lady Zags on their home court.

In any case, Go Lady Zags!!!

Zagineer
03-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow. Thanks, Terp, for your time in writing your above post. It explains alot for me.

And I agree with your closing.......

GO LADY ZAGS!!!