PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology - 3/8

jazzdelmar
03-08-2011, 05:23 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

gu a 9, marys a 10 and maybe a better draw....crazy how bad the 8-9 draw is.

ZagMan in Philly
03-08-2011, 05:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

gu a 9, marys a 10 and maybe a better draw....crazy how bad the 8-9 draw is.

i think, hope we get 10 and play a 7 seed like Villanova or Temple...it could be, it could be...

gu03alum
03-08-2011, 05:47 AM
I hope we get an 11 seed and play in DC.

CarolinaZagFan
03-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Yikes... No thank you Kansas

ZagAddict
03-08-2011, 06:34 AM
A #9 seed is no prize for a conference and tournament champion. I REALLY hope GU is not "rewarded" for their hard work with an 8/9 game while SMC gets another 10/7 game. This seeding makes no sense to me... it clearly rewards SMC for being a 2nd place conference team. I would much rather get a #10 seed and have the possibility to face a #2 in the second round.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Selection Committee usually rewards regular season+tournament champs with a favorable regional site. I really think GU will get a #10 seed in Denver (facing a mid-tier Big East team) and see BYU as the #2 seed in their bracket.

Thoughts????

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-08-2011, 06:39 AM
I think that a 10 seed in the west with a possible matchup against BYU, SDSU, ND, or Texas in the second round is about as much as the Zags can hope for.

I'll take an 8/9 if Notre Dame is waiting in the second round. Our kids should have no fear of that rematch.

JoeZag
03-08-2011, 06:59 AM
I would love it if we could trade places with Tennessee and be the 10 seed in the West playing in Denver. It would be right up the road for me to watch my Zags and I would virtually guarantee that they would beat Cincinnatti and BYU to advance to a rematch with K-State. One can only dream.....

tobizag
03-08-2011, 07:02 AM
yuck yuck yuck!

get me outta this 8/9 hell!

Reborn
03-08-2011, 07:02 AM
To me the 8/9 seeds are usually given to teams that were expected to be really good but kind of faded during the season. You could think that way about Gonzaga in a way, but because they have now won eight straight and 10 of their last 11 I do NOT think that it applies. Two teams who would be better suited for the 8/9 slot are the UW and Tennessee. They are both 10's right now, and if they win some tournament games (which I think they will) they should slide down from the 10 seeds (where Lunardi now has them) down to the 8/9. Remember! The board is fluid and there are many games left.

Gonzaga slid down from 11 to 9 because they beat a very good St. Mary's team in the conference championship. I'm still hoping for a 10 or 11 seed preferable out West.

And I must tell you. That even being where we are right now at that 8/9 I am not afraid at all of either Utah State or Kansas. I believe one thing, that the Zags will be placed where they need to be.

ZagLawGrad
03-08-2011, 07:03 AM
.. That even being where we are right now at that 8/9 I am not afraid at all of either Utah State or Kansas..

Put me down for being a "little afraid" of Kansas.

zagzilla
03-08-2011, 07:06 AM
SMC getting a 10 is how they win by losing.

I want no part of KU unless it is very late in the bracket.

ZZ

john montana
03-08-2011, 07:13 AM
you know we'll get hosed and get a crappy 9 seed in the east...

zagzilla
03-08-2011, 07:14 AM
BTW if you look at our profile this AM, we are still a 60 RPI

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/2250

3-6 record vs RPI top 50
6-7 vs RPI top 100

Portland currently RPI of 101 could give us 2 more Top 100 wins in our profile if their rating changed due to opponents results. Don't know if this is possible-anyone?

Also not sure if we want 2 more top 100 wins if they could put us even more solidly into the 8/9 game. I doubt 2 more top 100 wins gets us a 7.

Thoughts?

ZZ

zag944
03-08-2011, 07:19 AM
1 seeds get the easiest path to the tourney. Lets just beat one of them in the 2nd round then its smoooooooth sailing

omahazag
03-08-2011, 07:24 AM
you know we'll get hosed and get a crappy 9 seed in the east...

Hate to agree with you - selection committee loves making an "average" Zag team travel. My guess, we are stuck with an 8/9 game. Didn't do enough to earn a 7 seed, and doubt the committee will do us any favors by giving us a 10 seed.

Hope we are wrong, John.

Das Zagger
03-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Against Utah State as well, I don't think that will be an easy trip.

We'll see though, lots of basketball to be played this week.

Zag@LMU
03-08-2011, 08:00 AM
8/9 might be unfavorable, but my theory on it, is youre going to have to beat em eventually.

kyle dixon
03-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Great points Zag Addict. I see the Zags being in either Denver or Tucson in the first round. If this is the case, this would eliminate the 8/9 seed as I think the one seeds will be: Ohio St-Cleveland, Duke-Charlotte, Kansas-Tulsa, Big East-east and so on. I am holding out for either a 7 or 10 seed in either Denver or Tucson. If a Pac-10 team gets hot in the Pac 10 tourney and wins it (i.e. UW) that will be the opponent in Denver with SD State as the 2 seed.

On the other hand, I could be completely off and the Zags could be shipped out east. Who knows? What a great win last night and what an exciting time of year!

TheCroatian
03-08-2011, 08:13 AM
would love to see a matchup w UCLA we owe them

CDC84
03-08-2011, 08:14 AM
While you have to beat the one seed eventually, making the sweet 16 is a major program statement. I prefer to make the sweet 16 first, then deal with the one seed. Another reason to avoid the one until the sweet 16 is that you often don't have to play them in their own backyard. For instance, let's say Duke gets a #1 seed. Very good chance that their first two games would be in Charlotte, which is 133 miles from Durham. However, there's a very good chance that if Duke lands a one, they'll be shipped out west to the Anaheim regional for the sweet 16 games. There's a huge difference between playing Duke in Charlotte and Duke in Anaheim.

Das Zagger
03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
8/9 might be unfavorable, but my theory on it, is youre going to have to beat em eventually.

Good point, may as well do it this year.

DixieZag
03-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Normally we do not get very good treatment by the committee, see the recent history of 8/9 games and playing weaker teams in their backyard. The committee likes everyone to think they are an emotionless, rational machine but quite to the contrary they get pretty cute with themselves all too often. Of course I hope we get a 7/10 seed or even 11 b/c the first round game is not that different, and the difference between the one seeds and all the others is huge.

There is one thing that might favor us a little this year; people love a story, and this years Zags are a great story - not the one WE think of - but to the country, the team with a guy named Stockton is a very interesting story and the committee being cute - may want that story around a little longer than usual.

I would hate to see us against USU (two mid-majors playing guarantee only one gets out) and would rather play a mid level BCS - UCLA, UCONN (we owe them), Michigan.

BobZag
03-08-2011, 09:18 AM
8/9 seed = Death Sentence

Dirt McGirt
03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I was largely unimpressed with Utah State. I think the Zags would mop the floor with them.

maineblackbear
03-08-2011, 09:32 AM
hmmmm..... i would be more than happy to take the 8/9 game. unless we are going to improve enough in the time between game two of the NCAA and game three, four, five or six of the same tournament to make a difference in the game we would eventually play against the '1' seed, then it makes no difference to me--I would like to see how this improving team would fare against a KU or a Pitt.

There are many many benefits to be gained from remaining in the tournament; revenue and exposure, recruiting and practice--so, yes, I want my team to stay alive as long as possible. So, to that extent, sure I would like a ten seed or eleven (where we belong IMHO), but in terms of sheer raw competition, absent intervening reasons to prefer, I would like to play the best.

Regardless, for the next couple of weeks, I will get to listen to Zagzilla's intricate theories of how the Committee is determined to ruin our season.

:-)

mbb

DCZag
03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
I seem to remember a Villanova team who won coming out of the 8-hole......6 weeks ago some of you were moaning about how bad we were and just yesterday BZ was bookin' tickets for the NIT....BRING 'EM ON!!!!

GO ZAGS!!

TheReasonableZag
03-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't think we'll have any standing to complain about our seed, given how the season went down. I'm just glad I have another NCAA tournament game to get stoked about! Bring on whoever!

For what its worth, Lunardi usually does a good job of picking the field, but a poor job of assigning seeds. I seriously doubt we're in the 8/9 game. I think a 10 or 11 or 12 is much more realistic.

NewLookZag
03-08-2011, 11:52 AM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us a 10!

TL87ZAG
03-08-2011, 12:22 PM
A lot can happen between now and Sunday. We could still very well get a 10. 11, sadly, looks unlikely, but you never know.