• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adoptedzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Meehan, Withers, Blanchette WCC Final Game Stories

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 03-07-2011, 10:27 PM.
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Meehan's Game Story

The Gonzaga Bulldogs have seemingly faced elimination games for the last month so when they followed up their improbable run to a WCC regular-season title with a pair of gritty victories and a conference tournament championship, they’d certainly earned the right to celebrate.

Gonzaga’s latest victory was like many that preceded it over the last five weeks, delivered with defense and determination as the No. 2 Bulldogs knocked off top-seeded Saint Mary’s 75-63 in front of 7,186 Monday at the Orleans Arena to earn their 13th consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament.

“I’m learning still, in my 40s, the resiliency of kids,” Few said. “These guys hung with it and hung with it when it felt like the whole world was collapsing with all the people around them. They hung with it, took it day by day. That’s something we could all probably learn from.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Bud Withers Coverage

LINK

Even as he held the ball, guard Marquise Carter stood near midcourt and waved an arm, exhorting the crowd. Near him, Steven Gray bounced exultantly.

On the bench, coach Mark Few grabbed David Stockton and put him in a headlock, just before Few leaped into the arms of Elias Harris.

This was no time to be cool, just very happy. The Zags left nothing to chance with the NCAA selection committee, muscling past Saint Mary's, 75-63 Monday night, to punch their ticket to the dance for a 13th straight year.

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• RenoZag
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Blanchette

John Blanchette Column

“To go day by day and have people questioning this team, doubting what we can do and writing us off,” he[ Steven Gray] continued, “to be with those 13, 14, 15 guys every day, having the same goal and to fight – truly fight – for something we really wanted, to see it all coming to a end and reaching that goal was such a great feeling.

“It’s one of the true, human moments you can have.”

Oh, these Zags are human, all right. It’s their finest quality.

They are flawed, they are feisty and sometimes their game is ugly, with or without the alliterative prefix. But at the moment, they are everything their predecessors have been, and worthy of the same respect.

Comment

• gamagin
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by RenoZag View Post
          JB's latest piece is priceless.
          Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
          Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
          Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2009

The content might change.

Here is the graphic:

Comment

• RenoZag
              Super Moderator
              • Feb 2007

AP Story : "He's a Load "

LINK

Sacre finished with 12 points, four blocks and eight rebounds, while Gray had a team-high 15 points, tourney MVP Marquise Carter had 11 and Dower 10.

"He's a load," Saint Mary's coach Randy Bennett said of the 7-foot Sacre. "He really goes to the boards hard. He's a good offensive rebounder, and he's big and strong."

It helped that Gonzaga's determination to go inside forced the Gaels' big men into early foul trouble. Rob Jones and Tim Williams both had three personals by halftime, and Jones and Mitchell Young both fouled out with more than five minutes remaining.

Gonzaga capitalized, outscoring Saint Mary's 34-14 in the paint.

"We realized they were in foul trouble," Carter said. "Every timeout, Coach told us to get the ball inside. We went out, executed, made smart decisions."

Comment

• U Zig, I Zag
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2009

CBS blog

The Bulldogs probably put Saint Mary's into the NIT. We covered that plenty in the conference and title-game previews, so no reason to rehash here. Let's just take a minute to appreciate another great WCC title game. Love these Monday-night matchups in Championship Week. It's a convergence of all the small schools, and we're always treated to some dandies. The Zags didn't let Saint Mary's keep it close this time around. Because of that, I expect a reward in seeding.

Comment

• TokyoZag
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gamagin View Post
                  JB's latest piece is priceless.
                  I love how he can swear and make it sound like poetry:

They are flawed, they are feisty and sometimes their game is ugly, with or without the alliterative prefix.

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

The Olympian

A student in the Saint Mary’s basketball cheering section began wildly waving her homemade sign, as if to shamelessly beg for a retort.
                    It read, “What’s a Zag?”
                    On Monday night, a “Zag” was West Coast Conference tournament champion for the 11th time in the past 13 seasons.
                    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

SB Nation

The depth of talent it takes to rise above the rest, year in and year out, cannot be understated, a testament to the recruiting efforts of head coach Mark Few. From Cinderella to a major player on the national scene, Gonzaga has built itself an empire, staying just ahead of the pack in the WCC.
                      Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

SSF

The past month may not have technically been a tour of redemption for Gonzaga, but it sure as heck felt like it. For a team that seriously seemed lost in late January, it is truly hard to imagine just how they managed to wrap up a 13th straight tournament appearance and yet another West Coast Conference tournament crown.

Comment

• caduceus
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2007

Utah Valley Daily Herald

Daily Herald (Utah)

Article about the tourney from a BYU perspective. Also a good reminder to get tickets for next year's tourney early.

LAS VEGAS -- BYU fans, I can tell you this about the West Coast Conference Basketball Tournament: If you intend to go in 2012, get your ticket requests in early.

Orleans Arena's capacity is under 8,000, Gonzaga fans travel really well, Las Vegas has a big Mormon population ... you do the math.

Since the Mountain West Conference Tournament is also in Las Vegas this week, Franchuk and I braved a March storm (...) to arrive in time to catch the WCC championship game between Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

Comment

• FuManShoes
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Kitsap Sun

After winning the tournament for the second time in three years, Gray declared this year's title "the best that I've been part of, hands down, because it didn't come easy.

"It's so much sweeter when you have to fight for something. Then to go to battle, especially with a group of guys that truly love each other.

"I honestly never thought — outside of high school, when you're playing with your friends — that a team could be this close and enjoy being around each other so much."
                            “We’re not here as a %&#* courtesy!" - Coach Few

Comment

• HillBillyZag
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Along with the PRIDE I feel in these kids comes just a bit of guilt , as there were times that even I wondered of this group could find the right switch to pull and turn on the power . I'm glad to admit I was wrong , because whatever this particular Zag team lacks ?, and I'm still not sure what that elusive quality is ?, they don't lack HEART, and that may take them farther than many of us thought possible ?
                              [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
                              ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

Working...
                              X