PDA

View Full Version : Peaking: Or can we get better?

DixieZag
03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Honestly, this is the first game where I thought both the bigs and the front court had great games. I have waited all year for the two to come together and I think we saw it today.

There is no question in my mind that this team is peaking now; and there is no question that they have not hit their ceiling, Carter needs to accept his role and start looking for the three, Rob needs to heal and get his legs back, Steven needs to heal and get his legs back. Though the week and a half between games is usually a little long, this year and with this team, I think it will help us a lot. We are confident, playing our best ball, but we need some guys to get healthy.

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Honestly, this is the first game where I thought both the bigs and the front court had great games. I have waited all year for the two to come together and I think we saw it today.

There is no question in my mind that this team is peaking now; and there is no question that they have not hit their ceiling, Carter needs to accept his role and start looking for the three, Rob needs to heal and get his legs back, Steven needs to heal and get his legs back. Though the week and a half between games is usually a little long, this year and with this team, I think it will help us a lot. We are confident, playing our best ball, but we need some guys to get healthy.

Many teams will be in the same situation. Week of rest and off we go into battle! :boxing:

bballbeachbum
03-07-2011, 07:46 PM
one and the same! one and the same

one and the same

U Zig, I Zag
03-07-2011, 07:47 PM
If enthusiasm counts for anything, they are going to get better. I haven't seen them (Gray esp) that HAPPY after a win. They were jumping around on the floor before the clock got below 20.

Let's get at it, Zags. Tourney time!

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2011, 07:49 PM
If enthusiasm counts for anything, they are going to get better. I haven't seen them (Gray esp) that HAPPY after a win. They were jumping around on the floor before the clock got below 20.

Let's get at it, Zags. Tourney time!

From December to now---I'd be smiling and jumping up and down, too! Quite a feat!

Oregonzagnut
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Sacre being able to finish.

DixieZag
03-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Many teams need the rest and to get healthy, not nearly as many teams will get the amount of time off that we get - - most tournaments do not end until next weekend.

CDC84
03-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't want to play the Zags in the first round. They're going to get seeded at a level that doesn't correlate with their talent level and how well they're playing right now as a team. They're going to be a trendy pick to pull off an upset.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Since Few has finally figured out a rotation, I still don't think we've seen this team put it all together for an entire game. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Zags win another game or two.

maynard g krebs
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
It would be really fun to see what would happen if the Zags could replay the nonconference sched with Dower, Carter, and Stockton playing like they are now.

ZagLawGrad
03-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Since Few has finally figured out a rotation, I still don't think we've seen this team put it all together for an entire game. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Zags win another game or two.

The depth and spreading of minutes is really starting to pay dividends

Reborn
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
the best is yet to come!!!

bullzag23
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Aren't the bigs and the frontcourt one in the same? Either way, we look strong going in! :cheers:

FuManShoes
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Sacre being able to finish.

This. We have the players. We have the plays. We need to finish them.

MickMick
03-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Sacre can play better. Elias still isn't completely like he once was.

The team defense is peaking. That was a potent SMC offense.

Meech has never played better.

DixieZag
03-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I agree Mick Mick - we are peaking, but all of us that have watched this team all year know that there is still room for this team to improve. Sacre needs to consistently get back to his mid-year form (don't know if that is a matter of rest, injury, confidence), Gray needs to find his jump shot more consistently and be more aggressively offensively generally (ditto about injury/rest/confidence) and we all know that Harris needs to bring a full 40 minutes, though his work on the boards was awesome tonight.

Weirdly, the guy that I want to see more out of is Carter. He can't settle, he has just gone from Player of the Week, to Newcomer, to MVP of the tournament -- and yet he shoot his jumper when there is no other option, he needs to look for it and become an even better scorer, the shooting guard threat that we have needed.

Ah, but we can talk all about that between now and the next game, congrats to all of them . . . and I think they will get better with a week and a half of practice.

hooter73
03-07-2011, 10:04 PM
If Harris figures himself out again and Sacre and Gray get healthy, along with the right match ups it is upset city. We are not playing great ball right now but we are figuring out how to win.

Funny that our core is who needs the most work and the ones we are content with is a walk on and someone until 6 games ago everyone winced when he saw the floor.

skan72
03-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Like everyone else has mentioned, if our big guys, namely Harris and Sacre, keep getting better and better then we'll be fine come tourney time. Remember, on paper this is still the same team that was rated so highly by so many to start the year.

The way we're playing right now, I could see this bunch following through on a lot of predictions from the preseason. We are most certainly peaking at the right time, and we are sitting exactly where Gonzaga traditionally performs best - as the under[bull]dogs. I've got faith in these guys, I was wondering where we were earlier in the year when we were playing that brutal schedule, but we've found ourselves.

And one of the biggest things is how much freakin' heart we are playing with right now, it's scary good.

jim77
03-08-2011, 02:47 AM
This team is capable of playing better....I'm just shocked at the poise that Stockton and Cater show with so little d1 experience.

We are a very hard team to prepare for...we have size...we have shooters and we have 3 PG's who play 3 totally diferent styles. Few has a cool rotation right now.....He throws the opening mad bull rush at you for the first 6 or so minutes....then he brings in Stockton to see how close you can stay to you're man without getting picked apart...and he keeps the saftey valve in there to keep things cool.....Carter. We won more than a few ball games cause the other team simply can't match the intensity....we can substitue giys all night long and not lose much if anything. We really don't have a second string, its more like a different attack angle...GO ZAGS!...enjoy the rest...you've earned it! KEEP SHOOTING THOSE FREETHROWS!

Reborn
03-08-2011, 05:37 AM
Conference play is always the toughest part of the year because everyone knows the Zags so well. They know every set and every move. Now that we're heading into the NCAA tournament, teams will NOT know us so well, and that will help us tremendously. I think it will help our bigs the most.

As the year has progressed, Gonzaga has become a team that, for the most part, runs a fluid and now well oiled offense. This will cause some problems in the tournament because most teams will not know our offense. Even those who know the flex offense will see wrinkles that they have not seen because Mark Few has created his own flex style offense.