PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Vandersloot Receives Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award

TerpZag
03-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Congratulations, Courtney!!!

Courtney Vandersloot Receives Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award
Award honors the nation's oustanding collegian 5-feet-8 inches and under

March 7, 2011

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – Gonzaga University women’s basketball senior point guard Courtney Vandersloot is the 2011 recipient of the Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award, presented annually by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to the nation’s outstanding female collegian 5-feet-8 inches and under who has excelled both athletically and academically.

“Just to be considered with the great players who have won this award in the past is humbling,” said Vandersloot. “It is an honor to be recognized and I want to thank the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. I do have to share this award with my teammates, coaches and Gonzaga, as I wouldn’t be the player I am today without them.”

Vandersloot is the second player in Gonzaga history to be the recipient of this award. Maria Stack, who played for the Bulldogs one season, was the recipient in 1985. Gonzaga is now also one of four schools to have two representatives on this list; Penn State, Notre Dame and Connecticut also have had two players earn this award in the 24 year history.

“Obviously I am absolutely thrilled for Courtney,” stated Bulldog head coach Kelly Graves. “She has worked so hard to become a great basketball player in all phases of the game. She almost single-handedly elevated our program to where we are today. She is synonymous with Gonzaga basketball and we are synonymous with Courtney Vandersloot.”

A finalist for the State Farm® Wade Trophy, Naismith Trophy and John R. Wooden Trophy in 2010, Vandersloot is once again on the watch lists for all three awards this year. She is also a finalist for the 2011 Nancy Lieberman Award, which honors the nation’s top collegiate point guard. Vandersloot recently was named West Coast Conference Player of the Year for an unprecedented third-straight season. She was also the WCC Newcomer of the Year in 2008...

...The Frances Pomeroy Naismith Award is named in honor of James Naismith's daughter-in-law. A panel of representatives from the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) selects the recipient. To earn the award, the recipient must demonstrate leadership, character, loyalty, all-around basketball ability and excellence in the classroom.

Vandersloot will be formally recognized during the WBCA Awards Show, which will be held at 6 p.m. (ET) Monday, April 4, in the Indianapolis Convention Center’s Sagamore Ballroom. This event is part of the WBCA National Convention and is held in conjunction with the NCAA® Women’s Final Four® in Indianapolis.

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame pays tribute to the game's inventor, Dr. James Naismith. Located in Springfield, Mass., “the Birthplace of Basketball,” Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame promotes and preserves men and women’s basketball at every level -- professional, collegiate, scholastic, Olympic, international and wheelchair...

Gonzaga Link (http://www.gozags.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/030711aaa.html)

Lurknomore
03-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Congratulations Courtney! What an honor.

Go Zags....Win today!

sittingon50
03-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Awesome.

UberZagFan
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Very cool. Uber likes awards that are for those 5'8 and under!

lothar98zag
03-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Very cool! Congrats to CV!

(Hopefully there's a few more national awards for her before this season is over.)

Manetherendrelle
03-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Thank you Courtney for your 4 years as a Zag. I truly believe this award could not have been bestowed upon a better person or player. It's good to know that no matter what happens GU will be represented at the Final 4. I know its a lot to wish for, but hopefully the rest of the team can be there with her.... unfortunately, not a bold prediction. Thanks to the rest of the Senior class as well. It has been amazing to see the progression of the womwns program over the past few years. It is great to be a Zag fan!

kitzbuel
03-08-2011, 02:24 AM
:clap:

Congrats!!!!

SWZag
03-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Congratulations Courtney!! Lets make a run in the tourney!!

SWZag