PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Club, Dons

Martin Centre Mad Man
03-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I think USF is on the verge of becoming a fourth elite team in this league. That is a big, physical team with a lot of speed and athleticism. They played really great defense for large stretches of the game. They are young and only going to get better as those underclassmen mature.

This league could have four NCAA-worthy teams in a year, with Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, and even San Fran. playing as some of the best teams in the western U.S. I love what the Dons are doing to build that program. They should be good enough at the beginning of next year to win a lot of pre-conference games and really help the conference RPI.

Welcome to the club, Dons. I hope that SCU, LMU, and Portland improve as much as you have. This could be a great league for years to come.

ZagAddict
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
USF has a solid team that causes us match up problems. Blackwell routinely gets the better of Sacre down low, they have a good offensive duo of Williams and Green, and an perimeter shooting presence. They are young and will be a veteran team next year... look for them to do some damage in the WCC. I just hope they don't turn into this year's LMU, but I have more confidence in Rex Walters than Max Good.

Congrats on a good year USF... the future is bright.

CaliforniaZaggin'
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM
We'll see how USF next year when other schools realizing that they're no longer fielding a JV team. Portland had trouble with the same thing last season.

Oregonzagnut
03-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I have more confidence in Rex Walters than Max Good.

Rex is a great coach and a classy guy. Former NBA'er who always hustled and knew how to draw the foul. He taught his guys well.

Kong-Kool-Aid
03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Weird, my post seems to have disappeared...

As I was saying, I'm not sure if we can call them an "elite" team, but hopefully less of a drain on our RPI next year if they can pull off some OOC wins.

adoptedzag
03-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Weird, my post seems to have disappeared...

As I was saying, I'm not sure if we can call them an "elite" team, but hopefully less of a drain on our RPI next year if they can pull off some OOC wins.

Their OOC record can be forgiven because of the youth of the club. I'm sure they'll take the experience and use it well going forward.

bballbeachbum
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
they're good, could see it last year

wouldn't play poker with Walters ;)

MJ777
03-07-2011, 12:09 AM
they're good, could see it last year

wouldn't play poker with Walters ;)

They are good and the viewing public would have seen it if the refs had let both teams play. The "announcers" kept praising them as they should, but then they showed the Zags profile and it showed two Bad Losses; to USF and SCU. At that time, the "announcers" could have explained that losing to USF and SCU might be bad losses by RPI numbers, but that those teams while not great teams are teams that would give many teams problems at home (if their fans showed up). If you watched SCU and USF tonight then you know those two teams are not BAD Teams.

Good Luck to USF in the NIT or CBI.

ZagsObserver
03-07-2011, 12:13 AM
You and I must have very different definitions of "elite." I think the Zags are elite. That's it. St. Mary's has been good the last few years, which has been an asset to the WCC. If St. Mary's pulls together a few more runs in the tourney then they can join the club. No other team in the WCC is even remotely close to elite.

If you were talking strictly about being elite in the WCC, still the answer is the Zags, possibly St. Mary's of late, and that's it...

Saxon_zag
03-07-2011, 02:11 AM
You and I must have very different definitions of "elite." I think the Zags are elite. That's it. St. Mary's has been good the last few years, which has been an asset to the WCC. If St. Mary's pulls together a few more runs in the tourney then they can join the club. No other team in the WCC is even remotely close to elite.

If you were talking strictly about being elite in the WCC, still the answer is the Zags, possibly St. Mary's of late, and that's it...

Agree

DCZag
03-07-2011, 08:28 AM
USF is well coached and play to their strengths. If they can recruit to their system, they'll continue to improve. That's good for the league, and I'm all for it.

RockandRollJames
03-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Let's wait until they join the top half of the country before we declare them "elite".

UberZagFan
03-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Walters has done wonders at USF. They should continue to get better. They will need to take care of business next year in the OOC and win they games they should win and hopefully win a couple they shouldn't.